I need a pair of really comfortable headphones!
Nov 7, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #16 of 43
I have heard some people have comfort issue with HD580, so you may want to try them on before deciding on it.

I'm sorry that I suggested a headphone (F1) which is above your budget. But I haven't had any other headphone which even comes close to it in terms of comfort, which to me, is well worth the money.

Can you really get a HD580 for under $150? I thought it's a little more expensive than that.

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 43
I own HD-590 and have tried F1. For me it was no contest in terms of comfort: F1 reigns supreme at least during the first few dozen of minutes. I havent listened to F1 more than that so I cant give a definitive comment on long duration comfort.

In a recent test of several headphones (look in this forum for a post) by Finnish Hifi magazine the F1 was considered by far the most comfortable.

And HD590 is not uncomfortable to me personally by any means, although very long sessions can cause slight discomfort for me (at the very top of my head).

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:29 PM Post #18 of 43
I also agree that the MDR-F1 is pretty damned comfy
biggrin.gif

I have to question its sonic abilities though... that 12 ohm impedance really cripples them imo...

how the HD580 and X-Can V2 are like hand and glove... what amp goes with the F1 to really make them shine... if you know the answer to that... you're definetly on to a winner
biggrin.gif

Oh, and FYI, I got mine brand new for under $100 in London
biggrin.gif
(end of line stock
wink.gif
)

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #19 of 43
Mmmm, this reminds me of the woh tour. The sony cd2000 headphones were AMAZING. It was like having a smooth pillow around your head. . . mmmm. . . bliss.
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #21 of 43
speaking of the F1, i think the aiwa HP-AK100 has been mentioned to be a new F1. however, i don't think this phone has been commented on by anyone.

f_aiwa_hpak100.jpg

MDR-F1.gif

has anybody has experience with those aiwas, they do look really similar to the F1s?
confused.gif

Nov 7, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Oh, and FYI, I got mine brand new for under $100 in London
biggrin.gif
(end of line stock
wink.gif
)

Doh! and I thought I had a good deal.
redface.gif

Last time I checked, it's becoming harder and harder to find a place which sells F1.

Seriously, can you get HD580 for under $150? I found newegg.com sells it for $120 but never in stock, but I haven't been able to find other place which sells for under $150.

Nov 7, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #24 of 43
This is the first time I see the Aiwa headphone, it looks a little plastic-y compared to F1. F1 is mostly built by light alloy metal. Just check the spec, aiwa is about 50g (25%) heavier than F1.

The price is a lot lower though, could be a good choice.

Nov 7, 2002 at 10:19 PM Post #25 of 43
I have yet to find any phone more comfortable than any of my Audio Technicas. I also found the MDRV700DJ's uncomfortable, but the MDR-7509 (same phone but circumaural) I can wear for ages, but even that doesnt compare to the ATH-A/W series.

Nov 7, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I have yet to find any phone more comfortable than any of my Audio Technicas. I also found the MDRV700DJ's uncomfortable, but the MDR-7509 (same phone but circumaural) I can wear for ages, but even that doesnt compare to the ATH-A/W series.

do the ATHs all use the same pleather pads?

Nov 7, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #27 of 43
The F1 is the most comfortable headphone I can imagine. My ATH-W100 is comfortable, but the F1 is in a category by itself. Nothing touches your ears; the padded ring made of an ultrasuede material called "Escaine" surrounds your outer ear. An the entire headphone is very light because of the magnesium casting.

To sound the best, the F1 definitely needs an amp capable of delivering clean amperage and voltage at very low impedances. The Corda HA-1 more than fits the bill, but the F1 sounded fine out of a Rotel preamp with an excellent headphone section, and also sounds fine directly from my D-25S.

Nov 7, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #28 of 43
Hmmmmmmmmmm, how would an F1 sound with a Cmoy?

Nov 8, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

I've grown tired of my sony mdr-v700's, they actually are starting to hurt. I need to find a extremely comfortable pair of open air headphones. They will be used mostly for gaming (Counter Strike mainly), some music and some movies, but games for the most part. I don't have an amp, nor do i want one. $150 is my budget. Thanks in advance!

Steveo,

Two months ago I was in your exact position.

I went with the 580's after I returned the 280's.
Funny thing about these phones though. I've been listening to music more than playing games=read UT2K3 instagib. They're VERY comfy. They completely surround my ears, whereas the Beyerdynamic 250's touch my ears, but you want open air anyway. The soundstage is large and the stereo imaging rocks. I play MUCH better with these cans on than I do with my Klipsch 4.1's.

They sound good out of anything (exception being underpowered portable stuff ~ weak and my audigy card ~ OUCH, bright) and only get better as you grow into them. They sounded better after I broke them in. They sounded better from my cheap consumer amp and my Klipsch headphone jack. Then I went to the Chicago meeting...

I heard my boys out of an amp. I purchased an amp from a fellow head-fier, FCJ. Altoid amp for $40. That's not bad at all. Newegg has the 580's for $120. They're not in stock now, but keep checking here.

Bottom line ~ I was impressed with them from the beggining and as one head-fier put it, you can really grow with the 580's.

Jod
wink.gif

P.S. To get around that ULTRA bright sound card deal, just use anything with a line in and a headphone jack that's loud until you find a nice starter amp. It was flawed, but until I heard it out of an amp...well...ignorance is bliss
biggrin.gif

I ALMOST FORGOT...why get the 580's when you could get the 590's and go without an amp!?! Apparently the 590's can be overly bright at times...match that with a sound card and...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back