I need a pair of really comfortable headphones!
Nov 8, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by JML
The F1 is the most comfortable headphone I can imagine. My ATH-W100 is comfortable, but the F1 is in a category by itself. Nothing touches your ears; the padded ring made of an ultrasuede material called "Escaine" surrounds your outer ear. An the entire headphone is very light because of the magnesium casting.

To sound the best, the F1 definitely needs an amp capable of delivering clean amperage and voltage at very low impedances. The Corda HA-1 more than fits the bill, but the F1 sounded fine out of a Rotel preamp with an excellent headphone section, and also sounds fine directly from my D-25S.

I feel exactly the same way when comparing the comfort between F1 and audio technica (w2002). But I suspect that some other AT headphone (e.g. A100Ti) may be more comfortable (because of the lighter weight).

I don't have corda, but I have a headmaster which is a decent solid state amp. Using headmaster to drive F1 I found this combo a little dry and grainy. I suspect F1 needs a little tube sound amp to be at its best.

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #32 of 43
yep...and with the money you save you can put it towards an amp. I'm VERY picky when it comes to...well...everything. I'm satisfied in every way. While I AM new at all this, I did get the oppurtunity to hear at least 10 good cans at the Chicago meeting.

I liked my Senns the best. They have a laid back sound, which is good for gaming because it causes less fatiguing. I've worn these boys for 5 hours straight before and when I took them off...nothing. Like I'd been wearing nothing.

Jod
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Jodiuh
I've worn these boys for 5 hours straight before and when I took them off...nothing. Like I'd been wearing nothing.

Jod
wink.gif

Carfeul jod ... you don't wanna develop a case of tinnitus. i know it's annnoying, but it's important to take breaks and to make sure you are not listening too loud. it's very easy to get swept up in the music (or the gaming, as the case may be).

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #35 of 43
well as of now it looks like 580's are where i'm going... i stil would really like to find a nice pair of open air headphones, no one has any input on those aiwa's?

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
I feel exactly the same way when comparing the comfort between F1 and audio technica (w2002). But I suspect that some other AT headphone (e.g. A100Ti) may be more comfortable (because of the lighter weight).

I have the W2002, and used to own the W100 and A100Ti. None of them touch the F1 for comfort.

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by stev0
well as of now it looks like 580's are where i'm going... i stil would really like to find a nice pair of open air headphones, no one has any input on those aiwa's?

stev0, the 580's are open-back headphones (as in "open-air, but large and fully circumaural").

Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
No one can say anything about those cd2000s at the WOH tour? Honestly, most comfortable phone ever.
biggrin.gif

They're comfy, all right. But sound-wise, the MDR-CD2000 is a bit too dark for my tastes (though it whoops the similarly priced MDR-V900), judging by a brief listen at the Headroom WOH tour. (Think of the CD2000 as a more efficient, higher-sensitivity HD 580 with enhanced bass response.)

Nov 8, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
They're comfy, all right. But sound-wise, the MDR-CD2000 is a bit too dark for my tastes (though it whoops the similarly priced MDR-V900), judging by a brief listen at the Headroom WOH tour. (Think of the CD2000 as a more efficient, higher-sensitivity HD 580 with enhanced bass response.)

So, it seems CD2000 sounds very differently compared to its big brother CD3000? I remember comments on CD3k that it's on the bright side...

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:00 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
So, it seems CD2000 sounds very differently compared to its big brother CD3000? I remember comments on CD3k that it's on the bright side...

Gergor, what I've actually heard from the CD3000 was tinny ringing resonance noises, due to its large, mostly closed back. The CD2000 doesn't suffer from this ringing, due to its open back.

Nov 8, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #41 of 43
I can't comment on most of the higher end phones, but I'm in a pretty similar position, though, I'm more for music than gamming. I'm looking for open phones too though, I want hear what's around me. I've tried the the V6, 7506 (same thing) F1 and HD 590, as some top picks in my budget range. My favorite is the 590. I tried the F1 and the V6 side by side just the other day, and I liked the F1 better, but not by a lot. They sounded pretty similar actualy, the F1 were more open and a little bit more detailed, but not much, where the V6 had an even smaller sound stage but more bass. The F1 were indeed pretty comorftable, mostly beucase they were so light. However, I didn't find them nearly as comfy as everyone says, or as comfy as the 590. They would have been more comfy, exept that I had to push them down and forward somewhat awkwardly to get any sound stage out of them, and that caused them to sit strangely on my head and my ears sort of stuck out the back between the pads and the drvers.

Soundwise, I liked the 590 better too. It was comming off a bad source when I tried it, so I think that if I tried them both on a good source I would really like the 590 better. In my estimation, the 590 had better detail, much more open sound, more/better bass and a slightly less shrill high end, though the Sonys were by no means painful to me in that respect. In defence of the F1, even though it was on a full size CD player with a big and seemingly high quality reciever, and I liked the 590 better even on a sony discman, when I tried the 590 I had a music CD I had burned my self, so it was my own music that I was familiar with. Though, the F1 was playing Pink Floyd, Which I like quite well, but I didn't know the songs or the recording as well.

I'm not an expert, but I would immagine that the 590 would have more room to grow. Reprotedly, new cables such as the equinox make a big difference, and amp useage might be more key on the 590s since they have higher impeadance. (it's only 120 ohms, so it's not like portables and computers will havemuch trouble drving it, just not nearly to maximum goodness.) But again, I'm no expert, my opinions have been formed without knolege of what really good phones can do, and wihout trying phones in my own home. However, I know good sound when I hear it. I hope this helps, though I'm sure it will just add to the cnfusion, like posts here always seem to.
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 11:56 AM Post #43 of 43
Check out the Philips HP890s. Large open cans with wonderful sound. I have a pair of brand new ones Im willing to shell out for 80.00 (I purchased a used one from Secretasianman and dont want to burn in the new ones :-D)

PM me if interested

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back