I need a new (quiet) laptop.
May 16, 2009 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Oggranak

1000+ Head-Fier
I figured you guys might know something about this.

Budget: 1000 CAD
Main use: Internet browsing, school work, and music.
Also used for: Games if possible? (not a priority, but it would be nice)

End setup:

Laptop -> USB w/ ASIO -> Audio-gd Compass -> headphones

(in other words, the sound card doesn't matter)

My main concern, of course, is how loud it is. This is why I'm asking here, since I figure you guys might know which ones are nice and silent(ish) for open headphone listening.

The screen needs to be at least 15 inches... any less just isn't enough for me, unfortunately (I just returned a netbook today because I couldn't deal with how small it was). If something is 13 inches and significantly beats my 15 inch options, I'll consider that, but otherwise 15"+ is best.

With that said, does anyone have anything to recommend?

May 16, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 8
How quiet it is depends to an extent on how it's being worked. It also depends on whether it has a discrete graphics adapter. Discrete adapter = gameable, more heat even in regular use. More heat = more fan.

Dell have a returns policy if I'm not mistaken so you can take a punt on this. The Studio 15 with integrated graphics, 2.2 C2D processor/3mem/250HDD, 1440 x 900 LED display (you can stick a 1080 display on there but on a 15? Would make me squint) and backlit keyboard is under a thousand CAD. Won't do games; for games, add one of the ATI's.

Putting it on a notebook cooler like a Zalman NC1000 should also help keep the notebook's fan at low revs for longer. The NC1000 has an unobtrusive fan when run at minimal RPM, in addition to the passive cooling of the aluminium surface.

May 16, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 8
Most newer laptops are pretty quiet. Just get one that suits your needs, and like bangraman said, using a notebook cooler like the NC1000. Another additional step you can take is to undervolt the CPU; there's a good guide on NotebookReview.com forums (too lazy to dig out the link).

May 17, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 8
How about a Lenovo Thinkpad? They're quiet, very durable, and you can get them in a variety of screen sizes and resolutions; Personally, my pick is the Thinkpad R400; it's a 14" laptop with a screen resolution of 1280x800 or 1440x900, it's dead silent, and the price is not too bad, about $1000 depending on options.

Currently for Victoria Day, Lenovo has the SL400 starting at $649, the SL500 starting at $659, the T400 starting at $999, and the T500 starting at $1049.

May 17, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a Lenovo Thinkpad?

I have a T60p, which is pretty quite, but the fan is still obtrusive when listening to quiet music such as unaccompanied vocals.

May 17, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 8
At this point, I'm starting to consider gaming laptops, mostly... I used to be a PC gamer, and though I'm happier with my Xbox 360, I feel like I cannot leave PC gaming altogether.

What I may end up doing is getting a main laptop and then, when I have more money, getting a little netbook or something else quiet for the job of playing music. Anything I get now will be quieter than the desktop I had prior to now, which had obnoxiously loud fans and made weird clicking noises (I tried and tried but could not figure out what was making the noises).

May 18, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a Lenovo Thinkpad? They're quiet, very durable, and you can get them in a variety of screen sizes and resolutions;

I second that.
I have a T60 myself.
Dead quiet, everything allways works and looks good
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back