I need a new hobby/thing I can do. What could it be?
Jun 8, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #61 of 116
Whilst I'd strongly recommend my post above, if this just doesn't appeal to you, then maybe you should focus on broadening your basic skills. Some things that can only help you further down the track include:

Learning to sew, cook, basic electronics, woodwork, metalwork, pottery/ceramics, drawing, learn how an engine works, learn basic programming.

Also consider gardening, fishing, sailing, dancing. Learn how to play chess, poker, backgammon.

Jun 8, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #62 of 116
When I was your age I would ride my bike to the supermarket and buy a 2lbs. bag of sunflower seeds.

Then I would find someplace I can loiter around all day. Like sit on the curb of my house.

Then I would sit there and see how many sunflower seeds I can eat.
Carry around a brown paper bad to spit the shells into.

My neignbors would see me in the morning leaving for work.
Then in the evenings they would see me in the same spot still eating sunflower seeds. I would take a break in the middle of the day, but they didn't know that.

Great way to waste time, sometimes my friends would walk down and sit around eating sunflower seeds too.

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #63 of 116
Interesting thread. I came back because earily it seemed like amp building DIY was the pick. Now the floor is wide open again. I can't in good conscience suggest high-end audio or running; these hobbies are only for the truely mad.

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #64 of 116
Like ‘pne’ I love making my own speakers
But you can do that later when you really need to !

What you need, at your age, is life skills and to get them you need to talk to people !

Contact your nearest old peoples home and ask if you can visit and talk to the residents

You will need to adjust your thinking to a different level to communicate with the different individuals you encounter !

This will improve your life skills and communication skills and along the way you will, if you can summon up the tolerance, learn a lot about life !

Some of those guys fought in World War 2 and some of the women were involved and/or had relatives who were involved

You could write your end of year school thesis on World War 2 ‘An in depth and personal view’

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #66 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xhristmas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 the stock market idea and small business ideas.

Basic knowledge of these early on will definitely benefit anyone in the long run.

I'm very interested in the stock market. My mum has a stock broker and has shares in numerous companies, so maybe that will help.

What's the minimum amount of money that can be invested in shares?

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #67 of 116
This is such an incredibly interesting thread!
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #68 of 116
There are many different approaches to investment, I prefer the time tested ones that relies heavily on fundamental value.

Start by reading Peter Lynch's "One up on Wall Street" and "Beating the street", two of the best and most accessible books about investment there is.

Other investment classics include "The intelligent investor" by Benjamin Graham and "Common stocks and uncommon profits" by Fisher. I'd suggest you start with Lynch though.

Read the books, then start praying for a massive crash on the stock market so you can pick up some great stocks dirt cheap.

Be prepared and good luck.

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #69 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by in_the_membrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many different approaches to investment, I prefer the time tested ones that relies heavily on fundamental value.

Start by reading Peter Lynch's "One up on Wall Street" and "Beating the street", two of the best and most accessible books about investment there is.

Other investment classics include "The intelligent investor" by Benjamin Graham and "Common stocks and uncommon profits" by Fisher. I'd suggest you start with Lynch though.

Read the books, then start praying for a massive crash on the stock market so you can pick up some great stocks dirt cheap.

Be prepared and good luck.

Ok. I'll read a book. But wouldn't a book focused on the American market, like Wall Street, not be completely relevant to what the stock market is like in New Zealand?

Also, about doing excersise, what is the proper way to do squats? I can't seem to get it right....

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #70 of 116
The concepts of economics and trading don't change as long as its a free market system.

Ironically having specialized knowledge is one of the best ways to get ahead on the market. Try picking something that you already like doing and start following the trends and news and see if you can anticipate how the market will move.

There are plenty of sites that allow 'virtual trading' where you invest with fake money and follow how your portfolio does.

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #71 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very interested in the stock market. My mum has a stock broker and has shares in numerous companies, so maybe that will help.

What's the minimum amount of money that can be invested in shares?

What ever you want, although most brokers charge a fee to buy / sell, so you need to make sure you're gains will likely offset the charges. I'm with National Banks share trading platform and it costs I think about $30 to buy / sell.

Quote:

Ok. I'll read a book. But wouldn't a book focused on the American market, like Wall Street, not be completely relevant to what the stock market is like in New Zealand?

Also, about doing excersise, what is the proper way to do squats? I can't seem to get it right....

The fundamentals of investing are the same world-wide. However instead of looking at NZ stocks I'd look at Aus ones (more to choose from, and also (imo) better companies), that's where I'm currently investing.

There's a good thread over at the NZ sharetrading site written by a guy who wanted advice to give to his daughter: re investing in shares, that may be worth a look. http://sharetrader.co.nz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24227

Hope this helps ;D

(disclaimer, I'm 18 so you can start pretty much anytime.)

Jun 9, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #73 of 116
Have you tried skateboarding? For the past twenty years, I've been able to connect with complete strangers with it, meet some really great people (sort of like this forum) Where a lot of people are cool, because your already got something in common. You don't need a lot of people to do it, (just you) or you can do with others. There are indoor and outdoor parks of your choosing, or you can skate flatland. I'm actually helping on one of the biggest indoor skateparks in the US. It's going to be pretty gnarly when done, next week I hope. Once you get hooked and stay with it. The world as you think of it will change.
As for photography goes, you don't need a great camera to get started. I'm pretty sure Ansil Adams had a DIY version of a pinhole camera that he used. People make/sell books of from the hip shots with a toy-like or early consumer version camera. That you can buy at a second hand store. Having and using darkrooms and getting resources for that could prove to be hard.
Let us know what you decide.

Jun 9, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #74 of 116
Quote:

Seeing as how you are thinking about exercise, which I highly encourage, I need to suggest swimming as a total body and mind work out, endorphins are fun and very uplifting!!!!

You might first use the internet to research "Total Immersion Swimming" (google
wink.gif

It will lead to stimulating both body growth / strenth as well as being psychologically uplifting while being solitary it also will get you to be social with a group, IME
wink.gif

Good luck with your pursuits~

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #75 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by axion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What ever you want, although most brokers charge a fee to buy / sell, so you need to make sure you're gains will likely offset the charges. I'm with National Banks share trading platform and it costs I think about $30 to buy / sell.

The fundamentals of investing are the same world-wide. However instead of looking at NZ stocks I'd look at Aus ones (more to choose from, and also (imo) better companies), that's where I'm currently investing.

There's a good thread over at the NZ sharetrading site written by a guy who wanted advice to give to his daughter: re investing in shares, that may be worth a look. http://sharetrader.co.nz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24227

Hope this helps ;D

(disclaimer, I'm 18 so you can start pretty much anytime.)

Hello fellow New Zealander!

Thanks for the info. Seeing that thread, the person wants to invest $4000. Is this alot? I could only do about $200. Would it be worth investing $200?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seeing as how you are thinking about exercise, which I highly encourage, I need to suggest swimming as a total body and mind work out, endorphins are fun and very uplifting!!!!

You might first use the internet to research "Total Immersion Swimming" (google
wink.gif

It will lead to stimulating both body growth / strenth as well as being psychologically uplifting while being solitary it also will get you to be social with a group, IME
wink.gif

Good luck with your pursuits~

I'd prefer to do something where I don't have to go far. The closest pool is a long way away so swimming is probably out. That total immersion thing looks interesting though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back