I need a HP Amp but i have nfi where to begin...
Aug 3, 2002 at 9:19 AM Post #31 of 77
I have the model below the platinum, with the daughterboard rather than the breakout box... and I have mine connected to the DAC via the phono connector (75 ohm)

The SBLive family of cards sample at 48khz which my DAC can also have as an input... although I'm sure I read somewhere that Soundblaster downsamples to 44.1khz...

Either way, it doesn't affect my MP3 listening... with even 128kbps MP3s sounding - whilst not perfect, pretty damned listenable with completely flat tone controls, both within WMP and also the soundcard properties (I think WMP8 has a lot to do with that, because 7 and below and also Winamp imo sound WAY inferior)

Aug 3, 2002 at 9:38 AM Post #33 of 77
Ok
So if i was to sell these.. What headphones would you recommend that dont need an amp?

Keeping in mind i can spend around the same price as the 580's are worth and i would like a headphone that goes round my whole ear like the 580's do. Not ones that sit on my ear...
Thanks...

Aug 3, 2002 at 9:41 AM Post #34 of 77
Yes, go for an amp definetly (imo) because the line level of the SBLive, as you are probably well aware is far too low for headphone listening...

Providing that your computer is uncluttered inside (mine has got loads of stuff crammed inside which probably doesn't help the RFI
wink.gif
) then the HD580s won't sound totally bad... and then, maybe you could consider a DAC as your next uprade as and when (providing you're wanting to anyway)

If you do find the HD580s sound a bit hissy (they will if you're heavy on the volume like I am) then... it might be worth getting a pair of MDR-V6/7506/Beyer DT-250 80/Sennhesier HD280/<insert low ohmage 'phones here>... whilst not in the same class as the Senns, as mentioned... the compromises of using a soundcard probably will eat away more at the HD580s than what you'd gain from some cheaper headphones

A CHA47 / META42 would be a good way to start, they're inexpensive and both of them (within their own budgets) are leaps and bounds ahead of using your computer without anything

If its of any consolation, I personally think the CHA47 would be better than a META if you're going to be using it mostly for your computer.... the treble detail isn't as probing (into the really high frequencies) with the CHA... so, it won't pick up the RFI so easily

Just my $0.02 and all IMO of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2002 at 9:47 AM Post #35 of 77
Hmm... I'm not so sure actually about the headphones... all the ones that I mentioned AFAIK sit ON rather than around the ear...

Maybe worth a post in the headphone forum... asking for good quality circumaural headphone choices??

Aug 3, 2002 at 9:48 AM Post #36 of 77
At the moment would things like crackling be because my headphones cant cope with the lower power output?

Because on a cheaper pair of headphones you cant hear it but with the senns you can...

I honestly cant decide what to do...

Aug 3, 2002 at 9:48 AM Post #37 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Hmm... I'm not so sure actually about the headphones... all the ones that I mentioned AFAIK sit ON rather than around the ear...

Maybe worth a post in the headphone forum... asking for good quality circumaural headphone choices??

Ahh. ok..
Will do that now
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Aug 3, 2002 at 9:52 AM Post #38 of 77
Cool
smily_headphones1.gif

looking at things from the other angle, the sound-card... I personally don't have any major problems with mine, but a while back there was a lot of Sound Blaster bashing... and it seems that the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card (if i've got the name right) is inexpensive, and a lot clearer than the SB

That won't solve your amp problem though...

In terms of what the headphones (HD580s) will be like... no, they shouldn't clip so far as I know, but will be very quiet, and quite muddy sounding... lowering the ohmage (to add more confusion) increases the power requirement... so whilst you'd get a potentially louder sound un-amped... that WOULD be more liable to clip through the line out source (unamped)

lol... its never easy
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif

Aug 3, 2002 at 9:56 AM Post #39 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
lol... its never easy
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif
cool.gif

so true!!!!!!
wink.gif

So you think i would be better off getting a santa cruz. and getting rid of my SB live and get an amp?

I coujld do that i spose... Coz i still have the original box and manuals and cds and stuff that came with the sb live platinum..

This (in a way) would also save me a little bit of cash as i am sure the platinum is worth more than a santa cruz...

I will have to look into that. But thanks alot for that idea
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2002 at 10:24 AM Post #41 of 77
Try a search for Santa Cruz...

I personally don't know having never had one, but people sure have put a convincing word in for the TBSC over time
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2002 at 11:17 AM Post #43 of 77
I would go for the META42 if I were you--don't listen to the portable mongers.
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2002 at 11:19 AM Post #44 of 77
Yeah
ok
i think i was leaning towards the META42 anyhow..
As i really dont need it to be portable...

Now i just need to find a place in Australia that sells the santa cruz sound card and then i can sell my sound card and have enough money to buy the Amp...
hehehe.. yay!
wink.gif

Thanks

Aug 3, 2002 at 3:28 PM Post #45 of 77
Kelly / Memph

The reason why I suggested a CHA47 over a META42, if we're keeping things small, and cost concious... and for a computer is purely because the META (at least on MY META) is highly revealing of a deficient treble... it reaches further, and relays whatever static or source deficiences you have lurking around straight into your ears...

The CHA47 (again... in MY case) is a drier amp, which is more forgiving of the (highly probably) RFI laiden sound that would come from a soundcard...

If you were going to do a 50/50 between PC and Hi-Fi, then... I'd maybe sway more towards the META, as... it is, without doubt a better amp... but, then you'd still have to live with hissy MP3s

The choice (as they say) is yours
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back