I need a digital receiver for under $100.
Jul 20, 2007 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MonkeysAteMe

100+ Head-Fier
I know this is very cheap for this kind of stuff, but alas my budget constraints won't let me go any higher.

Is there a good/decent digital receiver for under $100? I do not mind buying used. I don't need any surround sound, but I do need a decent stereo mode to power 2 pretty ineffecient large speakers. I would also like a good headphone/line out.

Thank you.

Jul 20, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeysAteMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is very cheap for this kind of stuff, but alas my budget constraints won't let me go any higher.

Is there a good/decent digital receiver for under $100? I do not mind buying used. I don't need any surround sound, but I do need a decent stereo mode to power 2 pretty ineffecient large speakers. I would also like a good headphone/line out.

Thank you.

Get up early tomorrow morning and find some garage sales. You never know what you will find for under $100.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 8
Try Craigslist, too. Nothing like browsing garage sales in the comfort of your own home.
smily_headphones1.gif

Late 80's Technics and Marantz receivers go for pennies these days, I personally think that they're quite underrated and is a great deal. A lot of good words have been said about the Marantz receiver's headphone out as well. My Marantz 2238 certainly is not bad and can be had for about $100 if you're not too picky about the physical condition.

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 8
Refurbed JVC RX-D211S 7.1 HT Receiver

I really like the sound of their "hybrid feedback" digital amplifiers. For $85 it's a steal of a bargain.

Forget about the headphone-out though.

Jul 23, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm getting a used Yamaha RX-V595.

Does anyone how the quality of
1)
Av-710==> fiber optic==>receiver===> headphone
would compare to
Av-710==> amp($60 one like go-vibe)===> headphone.

And if the receiver is better at this stage what about
2)
Av-710==> fiber optic==>Entech DAC===>receiver===> headphone
compared to
Av-710==> fiber optic==>Entech DAC===>Amp($60 one like go-vibe)===> headphone.

And...
3)
Av-710==> fiber optic==>receiver===> headphone
versus
Av-710==> fiber optic==>Entech DAC===>receiver===> headphone

Would the Entech DAC function as a general DAC? It's not designed for headphones is it? I could use it to run to my receiver to then power my speakers right?

Thank you and sorry for all the charts.

BTW I have hd280s if that matters.

Jul 23, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 8
by "digital" do you mean a DAC stage?

you'd probably be better off with an amp out of your sound card.

keep it simple!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back