I need a desktop amplifier for my HE-500
Apr 20, 2018 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

danielghofrani

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys,

first post after many years. I have a pair of Hifiman HE-500s that I powered through the original Schiit Lyr and Schiit Bifrost DAC.

from very early on I was quite disappointed with the amplifier due to its high noise floor, static noise and an annoying high frequency buzz that came and went. not to mention a lot of random clips.

I contacted Schiit and they sent me an extra pair of tubes which didn't really address the issue.

I didn't want to invest any more at the time and I just sucked it up. now that my bifrost DAC has bitten the dust, I am buying an audio interface (with microphone inputs) to replace my DAC and I want to achieve a cleaner better sound with less distortion from a new amplifier.

trouble is, back when I was a regular on this forum people were talking about how HE-500s are a pig and you need tons of power to power them properly, as a result I need some advice to get a new amp.

I wanna keep the budget under $500 if I can.
sound preference: I want a natural and flat sound with good detail and soundstage. the HE-500s are warm enough for me and the Lyr made it boomy and too warm.

cheers
Dan

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 12
I would recommend the Project Polaris for solid state or the Project Ember for Hybrid. Both are very good Garage1217 amps with plenty of power and sound great. I used the Ember with my HE-560 and HE-6 before I sold them, they powerd the HE-560 just blissfully and the HE-6 pretty well too, maybe a bit close on that one but had still a bit of headroom and didnt clip.

I like the ember because it takes a lot of its sound from the tube ; tube rollers dream! Its a bit quirky and weird looking and from a relatively no name brand but are my go to for planar cans due to plenty of power and low output impedence. You can also have high OI if you so desire! Both have quite a few ways onboard to adjust the sound so you should be able to find something to like.

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 12
I will add my obligatory vintage receiver suggestion here.They can handle with ease most any planar headphone,including the HE-500.They can be had for very little investment and are sexy as hell.

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #7 of 12
Cavalli Tube Hybrid also does very well with the 500’s.

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 12
I hope your audio interface has a decent DAC. As for amp recommendations, the aforementioned Cavalli Tube Hybrid on Massdrop should be a good choice, same for the Garage1217 Project Ember II.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 12
One of my favourite amps with the HE-500 is the Elemental Watson, it's a tube hybrid amp that kicks out tons of power and handles the HE-500 with ease.

Now I mainly use my HE-500 with my Keces S3 as it is balanced, but the Elemental Watson is an awesome pairing.

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 12
One of my favourite amps with the HE-500 is the Elemental Watson, it's a tube hybrid amp that kicks out tons of power and handles the HE-500 with ease.

Now I mainly use my HE-500 with my Keces S3 as it is balanced, but the Elemental Watson is an awesome pairing.
I have never heard of the "Elemental Watson". Searched it up and looked very interesting, I would like to know more about it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back