I need a change of pace...
Oct 2, 2009 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

muxenle

100+ Head-Fier
Yes, here we have yet another thread asking for some music recomedtions.

What I usually listen is some kind of vartion of death metal, and other various heavy metal genres. To give you some idea of bands/sound: August burns red, demon hunter, all that remains, as I lay dying, the agony scene, haste the day, extol, in flames....Also some power/prog metal(mainly kamelot, and a bit of dream theater, and I think a few other bands)

But all of its starting to get a bit a old and predictable atm(not to mention I've over listened to pretty much every song that I like)

Now here comes the hard part, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for(hence why I'm here). Good vocals and lyrics are a most, though some instrumenetal stuff is also fine. As for the kind of sound I'm looking for, I'm really pretty lost and open to suggestions. I've listned/heard a decent amount of hard rock, and classic rock and from what I've heard neither of those really grabbed.

I've heard one song from Arcade Fire and I kind of liked what I heard from that, so something similar might be good(I plan to look into this band futher too) I've listned to Muse's newest album, The Restinance, and I also like that(I also plan to look into them futher).

Well... I hope at least some this made sense, I really need to learn to stop posting when I'm tired...

*goes to bed wondering he will ever get a reply to this thread*

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 17
ive been listening to them all day for whatever reason so theyre at the front of my mind, but maybe check out Cave In from beginning to end? they started out "metal" and gradually evolved into something more "poppy" and then started going back towards "metal" with Perfect Pitch Black.

Until Your Heart Stops
Jupiter
Antenna
Tides of Tomorrow
Perfect Pitch Black

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 17
I think you should try something entirely different. Get outside your comfort zone.

Try some of the heavier/darker classical. I'm thinking:

Beethoven's 7th
Holst's Planets
Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain
Orff's Carmina Burana

There are many more (and a few threads on this), but these are favorites that many people love. Classical CDs are cheap, so you ought to be able to find these for $20, maybe even $10 if you buy used.

You've been listening to a narrow field of music. Nothing wrong with that, but you can end up appreciating it even more if you branch out and try new things. Like literature, music becomes more meaningful the more you're exposed to.

A couple other genres that would make an interesting contrast would be experimental jazz and... how about protest folk music? Totally different, but you might connect with the passion in each. You never know.

But go get one or more of these classical discs. Try Carmina Burana - and be sure to look up the back story on it. It's awesome. If it is being performed anywhere, check it out. I caught a performance in Portland, Oregon a few years back that was incredible. There were guys in hooded black robes carrying lit torches through the audience and the chorus was made up to look like two rows of skulls along the back wall. If you want badass classical, this is it.

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you should try something entirely different. Get outside your comfort zone.

Try some of the heavier/darker classical. I'm thinking:

Beethoven's 7th
Holst's Planets
Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain
Orff's Carmina Burana

There are many more (and a few threads on this), but these are favorites that many people love. Classical CDs are cheap, so you ought to be able to find these for $20, maybe even $10 if you buy used.

You've been listening to a narrow field of music. Nothing wrong with that, but you can end up appreciating it even more if you branch out and try new things. Like literature, music becomes more meaningful the more you're exposed to.

A couple other genres that would make an interesting contrast would be experimental jazz and... how about protest folk music? Totally different, but you might connect with the passion in each. You never know.

But go get one or more of these classical discs. Try Carmina Burana - and be sure to look up the back story on it. It's awesome. If it is being performed anywhere, check it out. I caught a performance in Portland, Oregon a few years back that was incredible. There were guys in hooded black robes carrying lit torches through the audience and the chorus was made up to look like two rows of skulls along the back wall. If you want badass classical, this is it.

well so far I've just had a chance to listen to Holst's planets, though I was on a over-crowded nosy school bus with ipod ear buds that are starting to fail...

But I really liked. Its been a long time since I've really listned to any clasical music...

Also decent amount of the tracks sounded kind of familar, kind of like I've heard them on a movie or something, but I just can't quite place where I've heard it.

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 17
TIESTO!!!!!

He's trance, so there are alot of songs without many if any words. But he does have guest artists with incredible vocals, usually women, and he also does remixes. But it's really fun music. You can also do Armin Van Buuren, who has a lot more vocals going and I'm sure you can find more. O Basshunter, most his songs have good vocals and his songs, yes it sounds cheesey, but they're fun. Really up-beat, enjoyable good dance musc.

So you'd definitely be going way out of your comfort zone with trance of electronica.

Other than that i listen to stuff like Bloc Party, very good, interesting and totally totally unique sound, seriously look them up. You can ignore the trance, I'd understand it's an odd genre. But really look at Bloc Party and go from there. You'd be going out of the box a bit and out of your comfort zone. My personal favorite band

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 17
holy crap, I was listening to carmina burana, almost gave me a heart attack! I was listning to the first track, O fortuna, and it came to this quite interlude part so I cranked up the volume... and then BAM, I almost jumped out of my seat. I'm currently very happy that I wasn't wearing IEMs, or I might be deaf for life now...

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 17
O FORTUNA IS INCREDIBLE

TRY ECCE GRATUM, its all slow then fast then slow again then fast again then slow the FAST and HOLY Crap.

I like these songs cause I take Latin as a course so I can get an idea as to what they're actually saying in those songs.

Uncle Erik very good recommendation

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 17
hey whiteleaf, I think you owe me all the head phones in the universe

Bona musica delenit bestiam feram, et audiophiles.
good music soothes the wild animals, and the sound lovers.

and lucky, I want to take a latin course, but my current college doesn't have any

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 17
A big metalhead myself. I love to switch up the pace with some good Trip-Hop/Chill-Out music. Pretty much the opposite end of the musical spectrum.

Massive Attack
Zero 7
Morcheeba
Nightmares on Wax
Thievary Corporation
Air
Esthero

-Check em out and see if they fit your bill!

Oct 3, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 17
I used to listen to just rock and pop. Then I took this music appreciation class at the university I went to and the instructor played Pachebel's Canon In D. That got me into Baroque and classical music. Then I heard Al Di Meola's Elegant Gypsy, that got me into Jazz.

Oct 3, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by muxenle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey whiteleaf, I think you owe me all the head phones in the universe

Bona musica delenit bestiam feram, et audiophiles.
good music soothes the wild animals, and the sound lovers.

and lucky, I want to take a latin course, but my current college doesn't have any

if you translate it exactly or to its truest form Good music soothes the savage beast (singular), and audiophiles (or music lovers)
(plural)

gotta check your "number" but good if you did it in your head.

O and somebody already got that...so too late, I think i need to fix my signature now
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteleaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you translate it exactly or to its truest form Good music soothes the savage beast (singular), and audiophiles (or music lovers)
(plural)

gotta check your "number" but good if you did it in your head.

O and somebody already got that...so too late, I think i need to fix my signature now
biggrin.gif

I cheated, using very basic knolwdge of latin/guess work(bona, music,beastim,I guessed feram) and use of a online latin dictionary/translater I got the other words.

also from two years of french I've learned translating stuff exactly always doesn't work out well...

Oct 4, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 17
no it doesn't, i meant translating it exactly in latin, which meant in english it couldve sounded like yoda, it just happened not to :p you should see the stuff we translate in 3rd year latin, we're correct but i swear some of it never makes sense.

O and lemme know if you try out and like tiesto and bloc party and anything in that style
this thread is about your change of pace not latin and french
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteleaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no it doesn't, i meant translating it exactly in latin, which meant in english it couldve sounded like yoda, it just happened not to :p you should see the stuff we translate in 3rd year latin, we're correct but i swear some of it never makes sense.

O and lemme know if you try out and like tiesto and bloc party and anything in that style
this thread is about your change of pace not latin and french
biggrin.gif

lol true(but I never mind semi-derailed threads... I come from the WoW off-topic forums... *shudder*)

ermm... let I know I checked them out breifly but for the life me I can't really remember, give me a few minutes to listen and I'll come back and edit my post

Edit: hhmm....its kind of hard to tell, its not bad, but it is interseting.

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #15 of 17
If you can go from death metal straight to orchestral classical works, then a lot of things may potentially be interesting. The musical universe is huge and multidimensional.

Staying on the darker side of things for now, check out Siouxsie and the Banshees, maybe starting with Peepshow (that was my first album of theirs at least). And while we're in the UK, I'd also give the Cocteau Twins' most well-known album Treasure a listen.

Or what about something more from the songwriter side of things? Some classics here would be:

Joni Mitchell - Hejira
Carole King - Tapestry (always amazing what a simple song can do)
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes

Or what about Sinéad O'Connor's debut The Lion and the Cobra (an interesting '80s rock/pop/punk mélange which is hard to define, lots of passion in there)? I guess you're used to, erm, interesting cover art...

For a bit of excellent '80s synth-pop, check out Alphaville's Forever Young.

An old fav of mine is Mike Oldfield's take on "new-age" music, The Songs of Distant Earth.

All of these go for not much more than 10 bucks on Amazon, several for less.

Too bad much of the interesting stuff by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush seems to be discontinued in the US (that surprised me a bit, to be honest).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back