I need a can for rock/metal/electronic music, but here's the catch:
Jun 13, 2007 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

elbrickodaviso

100+ Head-Fier
Sadly, I've found that my ears are quite sensitive to highs. The highs of the DT770s were murder, and the K701's highs were almost perfect, but my system limitations left them with a somewhat harsh sound.

Are there any headphones out there that are conscious of sharp highs, while maintaining a sense of forwardness/aggressiveness? Closed or not, doesn't matter.

Currently the HD600s are perfect for me, and I can certainly deal with them for rock/metal/electronica. But if there's a better, non-painful solution for these genres I'd love to hear about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 30
I always pictured Grados as ear murder, but I'm also quite interested in trying them just to find out. Any particular model you recommend within a pretty affordable price (potentially bought on head-fi for 2-300 at the VERY most)?

That reminds me...I know nothing of Alessandros aside from the bit of reading I've done, and noticing that the MS2i seems to be in quite a demand. Are those good rock cans?

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 30
I owned the MS2 and it was a great sounding can for rock,jazz,metal, an EXCELLENT one, but not so well with electronica, I think your HD600 might be better for that. They can be purchased around $200-215 in the FS forums or $299 new. It was my first 'Grados' and I was really pleased with them when I had them. Probably the best value when price is taken in consideration. You should try them with flats to improve the comfort vs the bowls and should probably help to smooth these highs out.

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 30
Good point about hte electronica thing. I don't even know why I listed that genre...the only electronic artist I listen to regularly is Aphex Twin, lol.

It seems that many are happy with the DT990 for these purposes, but I'm afraid of those Beyer highs after my DT770 experience
eek.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 30
ur sensitive to highs...then the DT990s arent for u.

try looking at the DT880 instead. not too sure about the highs on that one though.

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 30
If you like the HD600s, you might want to audition the RP-21s. A few people compare the 2 but point out that the RP-21s are brighter/more neutral. I haven't heard the HD600s but I'm digging the RP-21s for rock and find them much more laid-back than my Grados. They are still burning-in, however, so the highs are just coming out.

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
goldring dr150

or if you want a grado, check out the liberators. it really reduces fatigue

x2 on the Goldring DR150

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #13 of 30
I have heard a lot good about the goldring 150 for rock/metal, personaly I have ordered d2000 to listen to metal/rock with, I'm sensitive to highs so therefor no beyer or grado.

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #14 of 30
The highs of the HD25-1 do not offend (at least they don't offend me but then again I usually listen to fairly bright headphones).

But yeah, lowpass rules! That or EQ.

Jun 13, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush
I owned the MS2 and it was a great sounding can for rock,jazz,metal, an EXCELLENT one, but not so well with Electronica

I personally disagree that the MS2 is unsuitable for Electronica (see my sig). It outperformes all my previously and actually used fons easely in that genre (except Ambient). That combination of fun, neutrality and details is hard to beat.
Needs a "soundscapish" amp such as Aria or Millet to do that well though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back