I need a Cable for Sennheiser HD414 headphones
Jul 14, 2007 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
i just got these from a very famous auction site, and they have connections that i've never seen before and no plug to speak of.

what cable can i use to get these going? or have i been taken for a ride?

Jul 15, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #2 of 11
looks like the old 5 pin DIN plugs common in european hi-fis of yesteryear

you might be able to get a replacement HD-414 cable from sennheiser, i mean they still sell the ear pads...

but yeah can't help you much further

Jul 16, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 11
The cable on ebay works for your HD414. You can through the gray cable away and put the new cable.

Or, you can buy an adapter from 5pin to 1/4inch phone plug. 5pin termination of HD414 was popular and adapters are available in Germany.

When you remove the short Y-shape cable, there should be a pair of 2pins connectors, which is common in Germany for speaker cable connection. These termination of HD414 is also popular.

Since the old HD414s have higher impedance than modern headphones, it may require some power for amplifier.

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by akira /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the old HD414s have higher impedance than modern headphones, it may require some power for amplifier.

yeah didn't the HD-414s have an impedance of like 3000ohms or am i thinking something else...

Jul 16, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by akira /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thank you for your reply. i'm thinking that my Go-Vibe V5 might not be u to powering these, am i right?

Quote:

yeah didn't the HD-414s have an impedance of like 3000ohms or am i thinking something else...

2000 apparently, that's why i'm getting worried. not only that, but replacement cable is going to cost around £25-30. if i need a new amp as well, my wife might not be my wife for much longer
blink.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #9 of 11
i've just realised that the cable needed for my HD414's look similar to my cables on my HD25-1's. what do you think should i give it a go?

do think that it would cause any damage to the hd414's?

Jul 23, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've just realised that the cable needed for my HD414's look similar to my cables on my HD25-1's. what do you think should i give it a go?

do think that it would cause any damage to the hd414's?

No, try it.

enjoy cable swapping!

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had a pair back in 1976 (blue pads) and I thought they were 600 ohms. Several web references I just found seem to back that up.

I do recall that the headphone output on about half of the cassette decks (we all had them back then!) wouldn't drive the HD414's to listenable levels, but the headphone outputs on any receivers that I used at that time didn't have a problem. Any headamp that drives currently available 300 ohm cans should do OK with HD414's.

Sometimes folks would like to listen directly from the cassette deck when making a tape off an LP rather than using the tape monitor function in the receiver, and all Senns made at that time were a potential problem for them due to the high impedance.

At that time, one had basically two choices in "high end" headphones (outside of Stax electrostatics that very few could afford!) The Koss Pro4A's and the HD414 were really about the only ones widely available (AKG's being more of a professional's option then.) Your choice was between isolation, overpowering bass and sweaty ears if you bought the Koss......or zero isolation, virtually no bass, and itchy ears (at least for me.....the original foam pads for the HD414 tended to stiffen with time, get uncomfortable, and then start to crumble.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back