I must be crazy... Marshmallows > Grados
Jul 10, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #16 of 33
I grabbed a pair of these marshmallows for $10. I think they're great, but there is such a clear difference between these and my RS-1s and ER-4p. As noted, the JVCs lack detail in the bass. I also noted that it lacks detail everywhere, for those of us who thrive on the echo of cymbals and decaying piano notes, etc.

I also found the marshmallows to be unnatural sounding for voices in the midrange comparatively, and they are awfully uncomfortable in my ears.

And anyway, as everyone's noted, IEMs v. open cans are quite a difficult comparison unless you turn down your fan, the cars driving by your room, and your wife/kids. Of course you're going to hear more with IEMs if there is anything in the background leaking into the open phones.

These JVCs are nothing more to me than knock around phones that in my opinion certainly beat MDR-EX71s (at 40-50 USD), say, but aren't even in the same league as the Etys or the Grados.

But hey, whatever blows your hair back
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it sounds good to you, do not question things like price or reputation, just dig it.

Damn, everyone beat me to the punch.
tongue.gif
But I heartily second the sentiments of the above posters. I think Kramer has some sound advice as well, because the more you adjust to the sound of a 'phone, the more you can recognize that 'phone's faults. Then again, you may just ignore them and be perfectly happy. Hopefully it turns out more like that for you. ^__^

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klarus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Kramer has some sound advice as well, because the more you adjust to the sound of a 'phone, the more you can recognize that 'phone's faults. Then again, you may just ignore them and be perfectly happy. Hopefully it turns out more like that for you. ^__^

If everyone did that here , we'd only have the KSC75s in our collection.
k1000smile.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klarus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, everyone beat me to the punch.
tongue.gif
But I heartily second the sentiments of the above posters. I think Kramer has some sound advice as well, because the more you adjust to the sound of a 'phone, the more you can recognize that 'phone's faults. Then again, you may just ignore them and be perfectly happy. Hopefully it turns out more like that for you. ^__^

I disagree--the more I own and become contained with a sound quality of a certain headphone, the more I will careless about its faults and enjoy what it does best. I'm sure more people aren't that way though.

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #21 of 33
Can anyone tell me if other, more expensive (~$100) IEMs are more/less comfortable? Honestly, they don't feel bad, just funny. Like having Q-tips jammed in my ears. Would other brands feel better or worse? If better, I am seriously considering trying my luck...

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSurge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me if other, more expensive (~$100) IEMs are more/less comfortable? Honestly, they don't feel bad, just funny. Like having Q-tips jammed in my ears. Would other brands feel better or worse? If better, I am seriously considering trying my luck...

I only use the 'Mallows at the beach and other places that are threatening but I've worn them for 2 to 3 hours with no discomfort using the stock tips-I'm easy to please though.

I use etymotic ER6 and ER4 using the stock foam tips and I've worn them for over 4 hours with no discomfort. Both are quite a bit more comfortable and have a more satisfying fit that the JVC.

I feel that the ER6 at around $80 is a very good choice. My guess is that the ER6 is hard to beat at that price.

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #23 of 33
I've heard the IM716s are rebadged ER4s (!) A huge thread spawned about it a while ago. Not sure what the final consensus was though as I didn't read every page of it.

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #24 of 33
If you think those are fun, you should try the Mylarone X3s. Also, if you want to try something more comfortable, you can try some Shure E2 foamies (orange) on the marshmallows. I thought they were much more comfy and they also work on the X3s.

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think those are fun, you should try the Mylarone X3s. Also, if you want to try something more comfortable, you can try some Shure E2 foamies (orange) on the marshmallows. I thought they were much more comfy and they also work on the X3s.

Was already considering the X3s based on what people are saying. Hmmm... where's the best place to buy them?

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #26 of 33
GSurge: IEM's/canalphones are good and all, but don't let a couple Grado's sour your opinion of all full sized headphones. You surely can get the detail you're enjoying from your Marshmallows out of some nice cans. I see you're selling those RS-2's. I say take that money and buy a D2000 along side a pair of Ety ER4's. You'd be set as far as headphones go for a while.

And don't worry about not liking Grado's. I too thought they simply sounded boring and undynamic. I couldn't get past this huge, what was imo, sonic fault that I wasn't able to try and concentrate on their high/low level detail that people rave so much about here at Head-Fi. I've read many times that a Head-Fier's headphone rotation should contain at least one Grado. I can say with fair certainty that mine will never meet that standard.
eek.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GSurge: IEM's/canalphones are good and all, but don't let a couple Grado's sour your opinion of all full sized headphones. You surely can get the detail you're enjoying from your Marshmallows out of some nice cans. I see you're selling those RS-2's. I say take that money and buy a D2000 along side a pair of Ety ER4's. You'd be set as far as headphones go for a while.

And don't worry about not liking Grado's. I too thought they simply sounded boring and undynamic. I couldn't get past this huge, what was imo, sonic fault that I wasn't able to try and concentrate on their high/low level detail that people rave so much about here at Head-Fi. I've read many times that a Head-Fier's headphone rotation should contain at least one Grado. I can say with fair certainty that mine will never meet that standard.
eek.gif

I just got a 2005 DT990/250 that I'll be giving a thorough listening to over the next few days. I haven't had to chance to give it a fair shot yet, and I won't be able to until tomorrow night at the earliest.

I just like how the IEMs remove everything between me and the music. Isolation is good... maybe I should get 770/80s or D2000 like you said.

Random thought: it's funny how it seems as if I'm heading down the directly opposite path I thought I would take based on the Head-fi reviews and comments.

Thought I was not a basshead at all, but I can't get enough bass...
Thought the open sound was superior, but I like isolation...
Thought Grados would be the most musical and dynamic, but are flat and boring to me...
etc... *sigh*

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSurge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Random thought: it's funny how it seems as if I'm heading down the directly opposite path I thought I would take based on the Head-fi reviews and comments.

Thought I was not a basshead at all, but I can't get enough bass...
Thought the open sound was superior, but I like isolation...
Thought Grados would be the most musical and dynamic, but are flat and boring to me...
etc... *sigh*

Many say it over and over and it's very very true: Your ear is the only ear that matters.

However, it is kind of funny. I feel that I've been extremely lucky with pretty much each and every serious purchase that I've made so far. They've all seemed to be a noticeable (and preferred) upgrade, each taking me a step closer to that final, dream rig. Don't worry, you'll make it out okay.

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #29 of 33
Your random thought is absolutely correct! Until we head on down that road, we don't really know where it's headed. It took me years of trial and study to finally build my perfect home speaker system, but only a few months to find "my" phones. The speaker path was the same path I followed to find the phones. Once you've found the basic idea of what it is you actually like; it'll be a lot easier from there!

Jul 10, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #30 of 33
I'm not about to give up my Shure IEMs nor my Grado 325s, but its always the Marshmallows I use when listening to my iPod when out and about. They're cheap fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back