I miss the SE530's...
Apr 9, 2009 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
I sold my Shure SE530's (and my entire portable rig for that matter) over six months ago.

And even though I've landed on a desktop rig that pleases me beyond imagining, ... Havana tube DAC, Stello HP100 ... RS1's ... GS1000's ...

I still find myself somedays, driving around ... working and what not ... fantasizing about those past moments of squeezing in the Shure foamies and having the external world so neatly and completely shut off from my hearing ... to be followed by natural and lovely and wonderful music.

I'm trying to say I'm missing those SE530's.

Hell ... even when listening at home, many times I would take the Grado's off and switch to the SE530's running out of my standard desktop rig. The sound was wonderful in that regard ... and if I happened to be running my bedroom window AC unit? Or if my roommate was blaring his speaker based rig in the other room? It just didn't matter.

There's really something to be said for the unbelievable isolation qualities of a good pair of IEM's ... be it Shure or some other brand. It's really a magical escape to so completely silence external noises and just hear the music ... even if the soundstage is dramatically reduced when compared to full sized headphones.

So I'm thinking real serious about putting my RS1's up for sell/trade ...

Since getting the GS1000's and adjusting to their rather considerable differences over the other Grado cans ... I definitely find myself preferring them over my RS1's and so I might just have to offload one of my full sized cans so as to get back at that sweet IEM isolation ...

More later ...

wink.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 18
Yea you should get the Shure SE530's again dude they simply rock my world. Also you influenced me to come up with sound mods to my SE530's, thanks for your review I really appreciate it. Good Luck!!

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 18
I had the RS-1 and GS-1000 for a long time, and I ended up selling the RS-1. I have no regrets. I like the GS-1000 better.

I still have my Shures as well
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 18
The Shure's have such a velvety rich sound... it's completely different from any other IEM I've tried. And I've tried a bunch. 'Tis a shame you sold a set of earphones you loved so much, but I hope you buy yourself another pair. There's nothing I like more than falling asleep with them in my ears...

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shure's have such a velvety rich sound... it's completely different from any other IEM I've tried. And I've tried a bunch. 'Tis a shame you sold a set of earphones you loved so much, but I hope you buy yourself another pair. There's nothing I like more than falling asleep with them in my ears...

Yes they are sooo smooth. The notes just form into another with such smoothness no other IEM can provide. The sound from these earphones are wonderful.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 18
Now I just wish they would learn how to make cables. Such shoddy cables on such great sounding phones at that price means somebodies head should roll....

h

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhnhyouh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I just wish they would learn how to make cables. Such shoddy cables on such great sounding phones at that price means somebodies head should roll....

How are the cables shoddy?

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the cables shoddy?

He's probably referring to the older pair of SE530s with the old wire formula which would break down due to skin oil and sweat.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's probably referring to the older pair of SE530s with the old wire formula which would break down due to skin oil and sweat.

The new ones are quite good.

I wore mine daily for six months in a completely dirty and hot and dusty manual labor job. The wire would be filthy by the end of the day.

I just cleaned the wire regularly and I never saw so much as a crack.

Still thinking about putting the RS1's on the chopping block so as to get another set of SE530's.

Might see if I can get a decent trade on a PMP/SE530 combo ...

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone compared the SE530's with the SE420's?

From what I've read. The SE420 is neutral and lifeless...nearly boring. The SE530's has more bass but it isn't extra bloat it is just the same detail and tight bass but it has more presence. The mids on the SE530s are much better and detailed then the SE420 and the highs are the same in volume presentation with the SE420 but the SE530's have more detail.

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read. The SE420 is neutral and lifeless...nearly boring. The SE530's has more bass but it isn't extra bloat it is just the same detail and tight bass but it has more presence. The mids on the SE530s are much better and detailed then the SE420 and the highs are the same in volume presentation with the SE420 but the SE530's have more detail.

Haha, wow, "neutral and lifeless" -- I'd never thought I'd hear that about a set of Shure's, especially ones so high up on the totem pole. Voltage, sometimes I think you work for Shure, but after reading something like that... gasp! No way.

Maybe you ought to enlist
wink_face.gif
I bet you'd make for a kick-ass PR guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back