I miss my AKG K701s...
Dec 16, 2014 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Oktyabr

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!

I got a Christmas bonus and can't think what to spend it on.  I'm leaning quite a bit to a new pair of headphones, under $300 (bonus presents for the rest of the family ate most of the rest of it already).

A bit of background...  I'm what I call a "budget audiophile".  I try to buy the best I can afford new and when it presents itself I jump all over used stuff at a good discount.  Usually my arena is stereo *speakers* (and associated amps, etc.), not headphones, and I've had pairs in my living room from too many manufacturers to name all of them but they would have to include some of my favorites like Snell, Vandersteen, Dahlquist, AR/Teledyne, and upper end vintage Polk.  I love music, all kinds, and have a 3TB NAS filled mostly with FLAC both ripped from CD and 96/24 remasters from vendors like HDTracks.  When I need to be, I can be a very critical and discriminate listener.

Years ago I traded a pretty nice pair of vintage Snell stereo speakers for a lightly used pair of AKG K701s and a Creek (MusicHall) OBH-11 headphone amplifier.  This was my first serious introduction to "higher end" headphones.  I actually loved the soundstage and even the detail of the AKGs and found the bass, once I got used to it, quite natural and satisfying, even for gaming.  Most of the time this was fed from my growing FLAC collection via a pro-quality M-Audio Delta 44 sound card (I used to mix and master a bit too).  I kept the Creek and finally sold the AKGs...  Why?  I'm not sure what was my biggest complaint, actually...  either the bumps on the headband, which got downright torturous after several hours of steady use (usually binge gaming on the weekends), or because, like I found myself doing with a lot of speakers that have spent time in my living room, they were almost TOO detailed and I found myself unconsciously playing music I knew was recorded and/or mastered with decidedly better quality in mind...  music that sounded best on them, not necessarily music I really wanted to hear.  A great recording sounded GREAT on them but a so-so recording really showed it's weaknesses with these cans and I stopped listening to a lot of music through them because they just weren't as "fun" with certain tracks (the majority) compared to the cream that floated to the top of my collection!

So...  I sold the AKGs and kept the Creek.  In my many months of lurking here and reading tens of thousands of words of reviews I pretty much gave up on something with similar characteristics that might be just the "little bit better" that I really wanted and I ended up buying a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 with the idea that those would be a cheap way to keep the Creek busy while I continued reading and window shopping.  A few years later I am amazed to find that I am still pleased with the M50s!  Good plugged into my cell phone, plenty of bass for the violent shooter games I play and overall quite pleasing with just about any recording I throw at them.  But, like I said, I feel the urge to now explore a "higher level" of headphone, if that can be done for $300?  Through rose colored glasses I remember the AKGs having a MUCH better sound stage and some music, especially acoustic instruments, sounded hyper-realistic.

So I've been tempted by the AKG Q701 and the K702, and have strongly considered the DT880 (250) and possibly the HD650 but wonder, if after listening to my M50s for so long, will any of these satisfy that "higher level" urge or will they just end up being slowly backed into a corner where they will only be used for "critical" listening to the rarified air in my music collection?

Thoughts?  Recommendations?  New or used?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:  I should also say that part of me thinks that, especially if I go with AKG again, that spending a bit more on a pair actually made in Austria will give me better rewards down the road than a cheaper pair made in China.  Is this just some bias I have or is there truth to this?

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 6
Missed the K7xx drop.  Might try to pick up a pair in a couple of months, whenever the next drop happens.  These are already popping up on ebay and I was willing to spend up to $300 ($100 profit!) for a new pair but of course, others are willing to pay more for them apparently.

Couldn't wait!  Bought a pair of B-stock (with full warranty) K712 Pros from Harman Direct for $230 :D

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 6
Having owned the K701 years ago, I would only recommend them to someone who is looking for a highly resolving headphone for folk/acoustic music or female vocals where comfort maybe isn't critical.   If that describes you, get em. If not, I would say the Sennhieser HD600 is a better choice.  Also, I still see HD580s pup up now and then used for under $200.   You can still get new ear and headband pads for these so it's a very viable option as they have the same drivers as the HD600.    Don't let all the "driver fabric scientists" turn you away...they sound the same.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Creek makes some great gear and would love to see a new DAC from them... I have fond memories in the 90s of their amps and tuners. Not so sure about that headphone amp though...

However, a good safe bet for a new pair of cans would be the HD600. A timeless classic (I've owned my pair for 15 years and only had to replace pads and headband foamies once) with a very balanced sound, great timbre, confortable, all parts are replaceable, forgiving up to some point to not so good recordings. A true classic.

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 6
  Creek makes some great gear and would love to see a new DAC from them... I have fond memories in the 90s of their amps and tuners. Not so sure about that headphone amp though...

However, a good safe bet for a new pair of cans would be the HD600. A timeless classic (I've owned my pair for 15 years and only had to replace pads and headband foamies once) with a very balanced sound, great timbre, confortable, all parts are replaceable, forgiving up to some point to not so good recordings. A true classic.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm waiting on a pair of B-stock K712 at the moment.  From everything I've read the HD600 (and close relatives) tend to have a "laid back" personality.  Not really my sort of thing coming from the closed back ATH-M50s.  If it wasn't AKG on my brain I'd probably be looking at the Beyer DT880s too or maybe even the Philips X2.  Either way, I now realize that I MUST get into another pair of AKG K7** soon or be constantly wondering if I made the right decision if I get something else... first.  So a run it is with the K712 for awhile and then maybe one of it's closest competitors.

Speaking of Creek, there may be better deals out there for headphone amps but this one has been my trustworthy desktop companion for several years now.  It's dead silent when music isn't playing and the pre-amp out to hook up to my desktop speakers is a very nice feature.  It powered my K701s quite well and has kept my M50s thumping right along too.  That said I think when I finally DO get my K712s I'll be shopping for another cheap desktop amp for them and then I'll pass down my M50s + OBH-11 to my youngest son, the striving musician, who's currently listening to a pair of M40's through a fairly good computer sound card.

Schitt Audio or Garage 1217 are the direction I seem to be drifting, with the Objective2 being a possibility too...  Not because my Creek has disappointed me but just because I feel that itch to get into something new :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back