I might purchase some low end Grados to see if I can enjoy Grados, which should I go for?
May 29, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 32
oh for the love of all that is holy, if you are coming from sennheisers, get the ALLESSANDRO MS1. It has been discussed beyond belief here, and one of the few things ALL headfiers seem to agree on, is that the MS1 is one of the best headphones period for the price. Definitely the best low-end grado, and it doesn't have as harsh highs as other grados.

Also, get flat pads from ttvj.com that will bring the sound sig into balance for you, otherwise they will probably be unlistenable. and yes, the flat pads are worth 35 dollars.

May 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I'm not exactly intending to keep these for a very long time.

I would buy them of you :p Need another pair of phones for the street.

I for myself have the SR80 they're awesome but i never liked the sound signature of sennheiser somehow

May 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #20 of 32
For me, I started with the RS-2, and so when I bought a pair of SR60s to see what the basic model sounded like, I sold them within a day or two. To my ears, the SR60 sounded like a tin radio, and I'm afraid the SR80 could not have sounded much better. The SR225 is the minimum for me, although I haven't heard the i series yet.

May 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, I started with the RS-2, and so when I bought a pair of SR60s to see what the basic model sounded like, I sold them within a day or two. To my ears, the SR60 sounded like a tin radio, and I'm afraid the SR80 could not have sounded much better. The SR225 is the minimum for me, although I haven't heard the i series yet.

Sure...you're going backwards. Same thing happened to me when I sound-checked my SR60's before selling them, after having spent several months listening exclusively to my 325i's. They sounded much worse than I had remembered them sounding when I first got them as my entree to Gradoland.

May 30, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #22 of 32
Wow. I really don't know what most of these people are on about. I bought SR-80s (old style, bowls) and loved them immediately. Moved up to RS-1s after about 30 days. I don't find them "radically different" at all. The RS-1 has far more detail and nuance, but the overall tonal balance is much the same as far as my experience goes. I think the SR-80s are a bargain and a fair place to start.

May 30, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypoicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. I really don't know what most of these people are on about. I bought SR-80s (old style, bowls) and loved them immediately. Moved up to RS-1s after about 30 days. I don't find them "radically different" at all. The RS-1 has far more detail and nuance, but the overall tonal balance is much the same as far as my experience goes. I think the SR-80s are a bargain and a fair place to start.

I have a similar experience. I have moved up from MS1 --> 325i --> RS-1 within a month or two. I would say they all have very similar sound signature compared to other headphones. Of course there are tons of difference between 325i and RS-1, Grado vs. Alessandro and etc but they still have Grado house sound. So basically what I am saying is, weather you start out with SR60/80 or MS1, you will be able hear the grado sound.

May 30, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #24 of 32
x3 on the MS-1 if you don't want harsh highs. Especially coming from Senns, as was previously said.

May 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #25 of 32
Both are excellent headphones.

I bought an SR60i from Headroom last month. A few days later, I saw the older SR60 and SR80 at 30% off in the Virgin Megastore in NY. I bought an SR80 to compare with the SR60i.

As far as I can tell, the primary difference is the earpads. The SR60i pads are like small earmuffs. They press closer to your ears, leading to a warmer sound. The SR80 has bowls which give a slightly looser fit and more detail.

I burned them in by leaving them hooked up to a preamp and tuner for 24 hours. They sound great and I have no issues with either the fit or the sound signature. Sure, the treble is a tad unrefined for the best classical music recordings, but they are a lot of fun for vocals and rock.

May 30, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x3 on the MS-1 if you don't want harsh highs. Especially coming from Senns, as was previously said.

One man's "harsh highs" are another man's "high-end heaven." These broad generalizations (as opposed to one's own opinion based on his own listening preferences and auditory tolerance) have got to stop. Please don't assume that everyone hears things and likes their music the way you do.

May 30, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR80 has bowls which give a slightly looser fit and more detail.

Not anymore. At least the SR80i's.

May 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #28 of 32
Hi, I'd say to start with either the 80 or 225. That may seem like a leap, but if you buy a previously loved pair from a fellow Head-Fier, it's quite reasonable. I have found significant improvements from the 60 to the 80 to the 225. Each step along the way improved bass extension and controlled the forward highs better. Detail also improved. If you must go cheaper, the 80 is certainly the place. It's marginally more than the 60 and preowned the difference is almost erased. But, if you are willing, the 225 is a great Grado sweet spot. -Ross

May 30, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #29 of 32
Buy the cheapest Grado you can find used if you just looking to confirm if you like the Grado sound or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back