I might purchase some low end Grados to see if I can enjoy Grados, which should I go for?
May 29, 2009 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

thechungster

1000+ Head-Fier
So I might get some cheap Grados (Possibly SR60 or SR80), but I want to know whether the SR80 have roughly the same sound signature as the higher end models such as the RS2i? But really my main target is to see if Grados aren't too bright for my ears (Seeing how I'm used to the Sennheiser IE8 sound sig) and if they are comfy enough for me.

May 29, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 32
I can't speak for the SR-80s, but one of the first pairs of headphones I ever bought was the SR-60s. I don't think you can go wrong with them, if you're looking to try Grado out: they're a solid, established classic, have the "signature" Grado sound, and they are one of the best bang-for-the-buck headphones you can buy, period. If you don't like it, or decide you want to graduate to something more high-end (as I did), they're very easy to sell.

May 29, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 32
The SR-60i is a great place to start. You never know, you might end up keeping them longer than you expect.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 32
When it comes to cheap, don't leave the iGrados out of the discussion. I just love those things, and they're certainly cheap. Grado sound on the go. I love them on bike rides - I have my iPhone in a cradle on the handlebars, and the iGrados fit perfectly underneath the helmet. I look like a complete geek, but I'm married, not like I'm out looking to pick up women, so who cares. Kickin' sound on my bicycle. Love 'em....

May 29, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 32
My vote goes to the SR-80s with the electrical tape mod (tape around the outer edge of the bowl pads). Better than the 60s in my view (I only heard the 60s, never owned them). I've had mine for 9 years. In fact, I just listened to them today with my Touch via LOD and MinboxE+ and they trounce all my IEMs, even the W3s. They sounded fantastic.

May 29, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 32
X2 on the SR-60. If you enjoy listening to music, and if you don't mistakenly think every phone has to sound like Sennheiser, then you will probably appreciate the Grado sound, even from the SR-60. It is pretty clean, very direct, and no one does rock guitar right like Grado does.
smile_phones.gif

May 29, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 32
If you use it with ipod, then go with SR-60i (easier to drive). As for comfort, it will take a month or so before the headbar is bend enough to fit your head. You could of course help speed up this process by gently stretching it.

May 29, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 on the SR-60. If you enjoy listening to music, and if you don't mistakenly think every phone has to sound like Sennheiser, then you will probably appreciate the Grado sound, even from the SR-60. It is pretty clean, very direct, and no one does rock guitar right like Grado does.
smile_phones.gif

What about pop, especially female vocals? Or do they just do that genre averagely?

May 29, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about pop, especially female vocals? Or do they just do that genre averagely?

Try listening to Eva Cassidy's _Songbird_ album on the SR-60s with a good source in a local audio store.. Gave me goosebumps.

Grados in general, and the SR-60s are no exception, have a very forward presentation -- too forward for many people's tastes. It often sounds like the singer is standing right next to you, singing right into your ear. That can be a good or bad thing, depending on the singer, the genre, and your taste.

May 29, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 32
Since you are used to the Senn signature, you'll be in for hell of a different ride with the Grados (frequency emphasis, soundstaging, and pretty much everything else). SR60/80 is where I would start off. SR60 was one of the first Headphone I owned and while I decided in the end that the Grado signature wasn't for me (too harsh and compressed soundstage for these ears), it did give me a good taste of what they have to offer.

Again, coming from Senns I think the likelihood of you finding them harsh may be high, so maybe try an MS-1 instead since they're apparently less harsh than the SR line.

May 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't believe averagely is a word. But I get the question. No...they do female vocals spectacularly. As someone said, Eva Cassidy is a great example, but there are sooo many others. A couple of my faves -- Mary Chapin Carpenter, k.d. lang, Kathleen Edwards, Nanci Griffith, just to name a few -- sound like they're standing in the room performing for you. And even moreso as you go up the Grado line.

May 29, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 32
Now that the sr80i doesn't come with bowls, and even if there might be a slightly improvement (haven't heard the i versions) I would go for the sr60i plus saving a bit of money.

I have tried sr60, sr80, sr125, sr225 & rs2. I at first wanted to go for the cheapest one (didn't want to spend so much money on a pair of headphones), but as I tried the sr80 with bowls I preferred that one. I thought, maybe I can get the sr60 with flats and buy a pair of bowls, I asked for the price for that and it was the same as the sr80 with flats.

Then (other day) I decided to give a try at the sr225 and I liked it even more. My father payed 50% of the headphone's price so I basically bought a pair of sr225 at the price of the sr80. Nice deal if you ask me
biggrin.gif
(buying them in Europe, that is)

May 29, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use it with ipod, then go with SR-60i (easier to drive). As for comfort, it will take a month or so before the headbar is bend enough to fit your head. You could of course help speed up this process by gently stretching it.

Huh? This is an inaccurate generalization. I, and I'm sure countless others, have never had to touch the headband at all. Yes, it can be modified if necessary, but this is hardly the rule. Giving a newbie the impression that there's definitely going to be a "process" required to get the headphones to fit properly is an exaggeration and misleading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back