I may sound stupid, but anybody else use headphone extensions?
Sep 14, 2002 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tbdoah

500+ Head-Fier
Does anybody else notice a signifigant drop in quality as they use a headphone extension?? I used my extension with my eggo's today and they got all fuzzy and crappy sounding. anybody else find this?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 10
A lot of people use extension cords from some of the premium cable makers. They probably sound markedly better than something you pick up at your local electronics store.

But, yes, an extension cord will degrade the sound, even if it's to some very small extent. That's just the sad reality of long cables.

kerelybonto

Sep 14, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 10
The headphone jack/amp also matters greatly in quality of transmission over the long headphone extension cord.

Sep 14, 2002 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 10
If you do a search, you'll find a thread on headphone extensions buried in this forum somewhere. The good extensions are almost all 1/4 in, so you'll need adapters to use 1/8 in jacks. Grado makes a good 1/8 to 1/4 in adapter to use at the amp side, and many headphones that use 1/8 in plugs come with their own 1/4 to 1/8 in adapters.

Sep 15, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 10
the extension supplied with it styler. You got yours from Sefu and MDAustralia, right??? Did yours come in a box or that el-cheapo plastic wrap?? Mine came in the plastic and was dented horribly. That might be the cause of it.

Sep 15, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
If you do a search, you'll find a thread on headphone extensions buried in this forum somewhere. The good extensions are almost all 1/4 in, so you'll need adapters to use 1/8 in jacks. Grado makes a good 1/8 to 1/4 in adapter to use at the amp side, and many headphones that use 1/8 in plugs come with their own 1/4 to 1/8 in adapters.

I believe the StefanArt comes either way on both ends (I.E. any combination).

Sep 16, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by tbdoah
Does anybody else notice a signifigant drop in quality as they use a headphone extension?? I used my extension with my eggo's today and they got all fuzzy and crappy sounding. anybody else find this?
smily_headphones1.gif

The symptom you describe may be, in addition to using a so so quality extension, RFI. All wire acts like an antenna, and the longer your wire, the more RFI you can potentially pick up. You may want to locate an extension that has sheilding or is braided to reduce RFI.

Sep 16, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by tbdoah
the extension supplied with it styler. You got yours from Sefu and MDAustralia, right??? Did yours come in a box or that el-cheapo plastic wrap?? Mine came in the plastic and was dented horribly. That might be the cause of it.

Came in that plastic molded box.
Wrapped in layers of bubble-paper though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back