I may have started something I can no longer control
Mar 10, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I had this power over other people. My mom just sort of looks confused when I talk about audio quality. My dad would appreciate it but I try to avoid him whenever possible. My friends either don't even know I'm an audiophile or they prefer iBuds.

Haha, my family does the same thing, my parents asked how much my headphones were. After seeing that they were custom, and i said 1150 and they freaked out. And all my coworkers think im crazy, like just now i was telling one about how excited i am about the protector, and he just added up how much i recently spent on jh-13's + DAC 19Mk3 + protector, and started laughing, and that didnt even include the Whiplash TWag cables
eek.gif

So where in OH are ya?

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, my family does the same thing, my parents asked how much my headphones were. After seeing that they were custom, and i said 1150 and they freaked out. And all my coworkers think im crazy, like just now i was telling one about how excited i am about the protector, and he just added up how much i recently spent on jh-13's + DAC 19Mk3 + protector, and started laughing, and that didnt even include the Whiplash TWag cables
eek.gif

So where in OH are ya?

I have my headphones on display.. but wouldnt tell people (e.g. parents) how much they actually cost. I'm sure they'd also freak out and be What??

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #34 of 50
The sole consolation may be that the initial "buy in" cost isn't THAT high.

I've only spent about $250 so far but I plunged into DSLR photography with about $1500.

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #35 of 50
I've a story of my own to share as well along the same lines as that of the OP's.

I was just looking to get some decent IEMs to replace my SE210s during Dec2009 and stumbled upon this forum. After getting my Westone UM3X (which all my friends in college thought were crazy for the price), I snagged myself a pair of Shure SRH840s.

And since then, all 6 of my closest friends here in college have, 1 Shure SRH840s, 1 Shure SRH440s, 2 Alessandro MS-1is, 1 Ultrasone DJ1s and 1 uDac all within a space of 2 months. Beyond that, i've bought the iBasso D4, a pair of Bose AEs(gift from parents) & Whiplash TWag LOD, with the Pico Slim, Nuforce HDP, ALO 120GB iMod all on order/pre-order.

And the best part is i'm loving every second of my new-found hobby! Its incredibly rewarding to be able to customize certain portions of your rig and be able to spot meaningful significant changes to the sound.

I've been wanting to put a number to the amount i've spent on audio so far in order to put a leash on things but i've been too busy enjoying and looking for good deals/upgrades to bother.

darthsmile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
jecklinsmile.gif
k701smile.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So where in OH are ya?

Northeast, in Oberlin. It's funny. The college is world-renowned for its conservatory, but everyone here wears Sony, Skullcandy, iBuds, Bose, or Beats
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sole consolation may be that the initial "buy in" cost isn't THAT high.

I've only spent about $250 so far but I plunged into DSLR photography with about $1500.

That's a good point. All I spent was $69 at first and that was such an improvement over the typical consumer products that it delved into audiophile territory. Of course I'm already half-bankrupt now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, basically, you're sharing germs w/ all your coworkers?

There goes the resale value
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #38 of 50
Yesterday my house mate friend listened to my D5000 the whole night and this morning he admitted that he has never ever ever ever had that kinda experience with music before. While he was listening to my phone he spent time admiring beautiful pics in Pics of Headphone thread and said to me today that he never knew there is such a whole new amazing world when it comes to headphones lol

Since he is a good friend I bought him an ATH-M50 and gifted him my ATH-CK7. Now he gives the Apple earbud a really dirt look
biggrin.gif
He's affected
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by alysony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea when I told them the headphones were 300 dollars they freaked, to me that's a bargain for good sounding headphones.

Yeup.

I have a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s that I got for ~$525 total (a bargain in Canada), and whenever I mention the price, people are like, " ಠ-ಠ - WUT. "

Also, who is that in your pic?

@SillyHoney: I like the glee with which you state "He's affected."

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900s that I got for ~$525 total (a bargain in Canada), and whenever I mention the price, people are like, " ಠ-ಠ - WUT. "

if it's anything like the Proline750, I would be like "
psywalk.gif
. "

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #41 of 50
OH NO!! Not only did my coworker went to the same store I bought my Grado's and bought themselves a pair of IE8's, they took another coworker who bought a pair of SR60i's. What have I done.

Mar 10, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #42 of 50
Most of my co-workers are women. When they see another HP shipped to me from the US, the reactions range from feigned interest to outright derision - all good-natured though. None of them have caught on. I'm sure they think I'm suffering from an addiction; and they'd be right.

I'm afraid to tell them how much my T1 cost :wink:

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #43 of 50
My Symphones Magnums sit on my desk at work in plain site. A couple listened to my RS2's and were impressed. They were amazed at the cost. I guess they would be looking at me as though I was crazy if I told them that the Magnums were modified cans and that the cost of the modification was more than the cost of the cans stock. Even I wondered what I was doing when I had bought into the mod!!!
eek.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #44 of 50
I work at an audio/video store, we sell grados, senheisers, shures and denon. Since I<ve been working there I<ve bought about 4 (right *-)) pairs of headphones, my coworkers and boss are calling me on it a few times a week. My girlfriend doesnt understand, probably because I tell her how much everything costs.

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #45 of 50
This has never happened to me. My coworkers just think I'm weird.

It's fair. I am, in fact, weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back