I may have cured upgradeitus
Jan 20, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #16 of 20

Quote:
I have had two periods of remission, both lasting 2 years, in which I was satisfied with my setup. However both times it was broken by a friend asking for recommendation on headphones to buy. It is cyclical and I hope to go back into remission soon.

happened to me too. here i am ...happy. friend asks. i go research... and what do you know. FiiO, Schiit, audinist, Denon AHD's...how do i escape?

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #17 of 20
I enter remission whenever I get too busy with work to visit this site for months.  Then, when I come back, my wallet gets emptied.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #18 of 20

Quote:
I enter remission whenever I get too busy with work to visit this site for months.  Then, when I come back, my wallet gets emptied.

same happened to me :D and it's fun comming back, posintg and then gaining rank and getting those 

moments when you do :D

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #19 of 20
Jokes aside. We all move on with our lives, what seemed like an obsession at one point might be a non-interest later on.

I have five bank account draining hobbies, they tend to be cyclical and I move from one to another depending the interest at the time. However, I find that the cycle keeps getting shorter and some of my "hobbies" ( I don't know if it can be still considered as one) has become dormant. Here they are, in the order that I caught them.

- computers and gadgets (dormant)
- musical instruments (dormant)
- reef aquarium (dormant)
- photography (semi active)
- audio (semi active)

However, gear acquisition syndrome, IMO, is not as simple as a hobby or interest. I think it is a manifestation it is of broader materialism, at least for me.

When I need to buy a computer, for example, I still go for the "good" stuffs, but I don't sweat about it everyday. I used to be crazy of playing music, but those musical instruments are more like decors today. I still own a reef tank, but they are in a state of minimal maintenance. I still took photos, but I no longer care much about lenses and stuffs and enjoy what actually matters. The same thing goes with audio. Also, Part of the reason that I stopped buying gears is that I think I have the stuffs that I can't afford (or unwilling to pay, which I hope I will remain unwilling) their upgrades.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #20 of 20

Quote:
Jokes aside. We all move on with our lives, what seemed like an obsession at one point might be a non-interest later on.

I have five bank account draining hobbies, they tend to be cyclical and I move from one to another depending the interest at the time. However, I find that the cycle keeps getting shorter and some of my "hobbies" ( I don't know if it can be still considered as one) has become dormant. Here they are, in the order that I caught them.

- computers and gadgets (dormant)
- musical instruments (dormant)
- reef aquarium (dormant)
- photography (semi active)
- audio (semi active)

However, gear acquisition syndrome, IMO, is not as simple as a hobby or interest. I think it is a manifestation it is of broader materialism, at least for me.

When I need to buy a computer, for example, I still go for the "good" stuffs, but I don't sweat about it everyday. I used to be crazy of playing music, but those musical instruments are more like decors today. I still own a reef tank, but they are in a state of minimal maintenance. I still took photos, but I no longer care much about lenses and stuffs and enjoy what actually matters. The same thing goes with audio. Also, Part of the reason that I stopped buying gears is that I think I have the stuffs that I can't afford (or unwilling to pay, which I hope I will remain unwilling) their upgrades.

I also have stages. i seperate them more specifically thought but yes, just like you :D when i switch stages. the others become less important. like when u stop going. oh that lenses or something like that. My last stage was mobile hardware and software. Going about and talking about ARM and stuff like that :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back