I love the sound, but comfort is total crap
Jun 21, 2009 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

carm

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
So there it is my complaint: I can't wear my sennheiser HD650 for long. After an hour of listening to music, my ears get itchy, tight and heat up.
I've tried to stretch cans, but it helps just for some time.

Is it just me or anyone else falls into simillar problem ?
Any ideas how to overcome this discomfort ?

Thanks.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 22
Maybe you can look for a box/thing with the same size as your head. Put the headphones on it and leave it there for a night or so.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bend the band. The vice does loosen.

That's pretty irresponsible advice, considering that most people would consider "the band" to mean the actual headband housing. OP: You will snap your headband doing this. You can bend the interior metal strip outward to relieve pressure after extending the earcups, but do not apply any force to the housing, at all.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 22
I consider my HD650 comfortable headphones (after I had loosened up the headband a little by slightly bending the extracted metal bands at the sides), but definitely not to the same extent as my HD595 or K601.
The HD650 are tighter, a bit warmer, feel heavier (although someone listed the weight a while ago, and it seems like the heavier feel compared to my other headphones is just an illusion created by the tighter fit) and I do catch myself readjusting the ear pads quite regularly during long listening sessions.
I can still use them for eg. a two hour movie without any real discomfort though.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but do apply any force to the housing, at all.

You mean don't?
biggrin.gif

Sorry but i couldn't help it
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 22
Thanks, fixed.

Edit: Thanks for pointing that out. I was posting-while-distracted; sure-fire way to leave out the most important word in a sentence.
wink.gif

To reiterate: OP, DON'T bend the freakin' headband housing!

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, anyone else absolutely certain of a Grado thread before they clicked?

I instantly thought of my AKGs actually

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 22
all of my velour ear padded headphones make me itchy, although I think wearing the AKG 271's a lot has made me get used to it.

The lamb skin leather on the W5000's is nice but I'm a huge fan of the fabric ones they used for the AKG k501's

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #13 of 22
I find the HD 650's quite comfortable due to their tightness. Might just be my head though. My old HD 595's now feel loose and too spacious.

The 650's double as earmuffs in winter too!
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 22
I've posted this before a few times. It's a shame HD580, HD600, and HD650 owners don't know how to adjust their headphones properly. (That was me not too long ago.) Tolerating undue pressure is unnecessary and can prematurely degrade the ear pads.

Fully extend the headband. Grip one ear cup with one hand. Grip the plastic part of the headband where the metal starts to go in with the other hand. Bend only the metal part of the headband, not the plastic. Do this on both sides repeatedly until a comfortable amount of tension or looseness is obtained. It's metal. It bends. It can be tightened and loosened as you please. Then adjust the length of the headband for a proper fit.

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's pretty irresponsible advice, considering that most people would consider "the band" to mean the actual headband housing. OP: You will snap your headband doing this. You can bend the interior metal strip outward to relieve pressure after extending the earcups, but do not apply any force to the housing, at all.

Thank you for looking out for members that may not know the difference between a band and a band housing or that plastic won't bend. Perhaps I assumed too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back