I love my new HeadRoom Desktop
Aug 7, 2006 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

aragorn18

Head-Fier
I've had my new maxed-out HeadRoom Desktop amp for 4 days now and I wanted to get some initial thoughts down on...ummm...paper?

Background: I have owned a pair of HD-600's since Dec. '03. I've never used them amped before. I also own a portable system consisting of an iPod, '04 Total AirHead and Ety ER-4Ps which I absolutely love.

Equipment: At home I listen to all of my music out of my computer. About half of it is stored in APE lossless format. The rest is MP3. Previously I used the headphone output from the SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro. This has an external breakout box that does the D-to-A outside of the computer case. I connected the Desktop through a Monster Cable coax from the digital output on the sound card.

The amp is HeadRoom's top-of-the-line Desktop with Max DAC, Max output stage, desktop power supply and stepped attenuator.

This is feeding a pair of stock Sennheiser HD-600's. The package I bought came with AKG K701's but they're still burning in so I'll reserve judgement on those until later.

Out of the box experience: HeadRoom packages everything well without anything flashy. There was no printing or artwork on the boxes. The amp and power supply are shipped in two identical boxes. Included with the amp was a very nice manual that had some cool HeadRoom stickers inside. I'm not 100% sure an amp needs a 12 page manual but it's a nice touch. Even if you buy the desktop power supply they still include the wall-wart transformer so I guess you could so some A-B tests to see the exact impact of the power supply.

The power supply comes with a substantial length of power cable (4-6 foot if I had to guess) so that you can place your amp just where you need it.

Sound: What I'm sure you're all most interested in. You'll have to forgive me because I'm very poor at describing sounds with words. I'll do my best. Also, I haven't listened critically to my entire collection so I only have a few areas that I really analyzed.

Detail was most definitely increased with the amp. But, it didn't really blow me away. Guitar chords sounded more textured. Background vocals that were always there came a bit more to the fore. However, this wasn't one of the moments where I heard things that I had never heard before.

Vocals are a place where this amp shines. Female voices sounded fuller. The upper reaches sounded like they had been hollow before and only now was I hearing it correctly. They had an almost resonant quality in my head when a high note was hit. Male voices weren't affected as much other than I was able to hear certain sub-vocalizations (breathing in, mouth changing shape) more than I could before.

Bass was something that I had always felt was lacking on the 600's so I was keenly interested in seeing if the new amp made a change. If I had to describe the bass in one word, it would be "authoritative". Running straight out of the sound card, I could tell when a bass note was played and then it was gone. With the Desktop the bass notes demanded to be heard. I felt them much more than I did before. Angel by Massive Attack went from a song that I listened to for the vocals to a bass extravaganza. I could feel as each note hit my head. Bass guitars especially sound great.

Percussion is perhaps the biggest change that I noted. Instead of just being a note I could hear the instrument vibrating. (I really hope that makes sense) Something I wasn't prepared for was the black between the notes. Percussion hits were very clearly distinguished from each other and I found that I liked the effect.

If there was anything that I felt as a whole about the sound it was that I was finally hearing the music as it was meant to be heard. This means that everything that was recorded is now in my ears. What it also means is that the amp is not coloring the music. It's neither adding nor detracting from what's there.

Issues: I didn't experience a complete shock at the quality difference between the sound from the Desktop and the sound out of my sound card. I'm not sure if any headphone amp could make the difference I was looking for, but I was hoping for more from a $2,000 investment.

The crossfeed circuit was a major letdown. I've been reading from TheSloth and others just how awesome this feature was in the new HeadRoom amps but I honestly just couldn't hear it. I even listened to some really hard-panned pieces and could not hear the difference between it being on and off. I confirmed that the circuit is working by generating two tones, one in each channel, but that was the only time I could tell. The soundstage was not affected at all as far as I could tell. All of the music still sounded like it was inside my head instead of an enveloping environment.

It may be niggling but I was unimpressed with the quality of the tiny switches on the front and back of the unit.

Overall impressions: The HeadRoom Desktop is a very nice amp that is able to drive my headphones to a level that I haven't heard before. The power, clarity and texture of the music are head and shoulders above what I was listening to before. In the end, it just sounds better. Is it $2,000 better? I don't know, I've got 26 more days to make the decision
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
That's it?

Not quite. I'll edit my original post with details later when I have some real time to express my thoughts, But, for now, I just wanted to let everyone know how happy I am with my decision.

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragorn18
Not quite. I'll edit my original post with details later when I have some real time to express my thoughts, But, for now, I just wanted to let everyone know how happy I am with my decision.

You could at least say exactly what config it is that you are so happy about...

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

You could at least say exactly what config it is that you are so happy about...

Well, I started doing that and ended up writing a mini-review.

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

The crossfeed circuit was a major letdown. I've been reading from TheSloth and others just how awesome this feature was in the new HeadRoom amps but I honestly just couldn't hear it. I even listened to some really hard-panned pieces and could not hear the difference between it being on and off. I confirmed that the circuit is working by generating two tones, one in each channel, but that was the only time I could tell. The soundstage was not affected at all as far as I could tell. All of the music still sounded like it was inside my head instead of an enveloping environment.

You aren't supposed to hear it!!!! Here's an experiment for you that might shock you a bit - only listen with crossfeed switched on for at least a few days, and then with a familiar song, suddenly switch it off and see how strange and unnatural the soundstage and presentation feels. And in terms of fatigue you might be amazed at how much more relaxed you feel after a long (over 1hr for example) listening session with crossfeed on. It is not supposed to create an 'out of head' experience. That isn't possible with the technology involved. It is designed to remove the 3 blob soundstage (one to the extreme left, one to the extreme right and one right in the middle of your skull) and replace it with on that extends more naturally from left to right with all the spaces in between filled in properly, as it was meant to be.

Another tip for you - keep the DPS as far away from the main Desktop unit as you possibly can - the length of the cord is obviously the limiting factor.

Also experiment with the ground switch on the DPS - the manual says it should normally be in the 'normal' position (duh!), however you will most likely experience a slightly (again, slightly) cleaner and more refined sound with it set to 'float', especially if the wiring in your home is less than ideal.

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

You aren't supposed to hear it!!!! Here's an experiment for you that might shock you a bit - only listen with crossfeed switched on for at least a few days, and then with a familiar song, suddenly switch it off and see how strange and unnatural the soundstage and presentation feels.

Yes, that's exactly what I did. One day I forgot to bring my amp with me, and so I went ampless with my iPod. It just sounding wrong after using crossfeed for a while.

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

And in terms of fatigue you might be amazed at how much more relaxed you feel after a long (over 1hr for example) listening session with crossfeed on.

That's been my experience w/ crossfeed on the TotalBithead and MicroAmp. It takes awhile to appreciate it, but you probably will if you listen for hours at a time.

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

You aren't supposed to hear it!!!!.

I don't know. That sounds a bit too much like the Emperor's new clothes to me. If I cannot hear a difference, even when I'm specifically listening for it and I know when the switch is coming I have trouble believing it makes a large effect on the sound. I have often listened to music for hours at a time and have nevery really felt fatigued so that might be why I'm having trouble noticing a change.

Quote:

Another tip for you - keep the DPS as far away from the main Desktop unit as you possibly can - the length of the cord is obviously the limiting factor.

Yeah, I had read this in the Stereophile review. They claimed that there was a bit of a spike at 60 Hz and 120 Hz when the two units were stacked. I have trouble believing it's worth the hassle of moving the two components apart.

Quote:

Also experiment with the ground switch on the DPS - the manual says it should normally be in the 'normal' position (duh!), however you will most likely experience a slightly (again, slightly) cleaner and more refined sound with it set to 'float', especially if the wiring in your home is less than ideal.

This one kind of threw me. I wasn't exactly sure what I should be listening for to tell if I needed to flip the switch. I wasn't hearing the 60hz hum so I figured I was good. Also, my apartment was just built earlier this year so I assume the wiring is modern without any grounding problems (I hope).

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 25
Hmm...interesting. Using my new K701s I can hear the Crossfeed clear as day. However, on the HD600s it's all lost.

BTW, I'm having a lot of fun going through my music collection looking for differences.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #12 of 25
I can hear crossfeed clear as day too with my MicroAmp using Ety ER4's. It's subtle, but it's definitely hear-able. Kicking in the x-feed gives an overall warmer sound. The affect is pleasant, although I keep wondering how much detail in the higher frequencies I'm missing when it's on?

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

In the end, it just sounds better. Is it $2,000 better?

I can tell you that no amp is worth $2000 better by any normal objective argument. It's all about the small minute differences that make up a better overall listening experience.

In a way, buying an amp like this is like buying insurance, you buying into the one of the best that current technology has to offer, and you take comfort in knowing that all the details were sweated out to bring you the best sound. Will you hear that difference? Maybe, maybe not. Discovering the differences is fun but does the amp bring you more joy in your music listening? How much more joy does it bring for your money? That is the answer that one has to answer in determining the value proposition of a product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back