I love my HD600s, but...
Sep 28, 2004 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Earwax

Headphoneus Supremus
I really do love the sound of my new(used) HD600s, but everytime I listen to them I fall asleep.
eek.gif
eek.gif

What should I do?

Sep 28, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 47
The obvious answer is to be a traitor and buy a grado!

But a cheaper alternative is to listen to Prodigy's "Firestarter" - you most likely won't sleep, and if you do it will be nightmares.

Sep 28, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 47
Do they really put you to sleep when you weren't otherwise tired? I occasionally start to doze off while using an hd6X0, but only when it's late at night and I'm pretty damn tired. I sometimes listen with eyes closed, which compounds the problem. I'm starting to think my better critical listening hours may be during the daytime, or at least after I've woken up from a nap. Then I absolutely won't doze off and my hearing seems to be more acute (or at least music generally sounds more euphonic) as well. I personally can't switch to grado-ish or more aggressive cans because I really dislike that kind of sound and it hurts my ears anyways.

Sep 28, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 47
From a list of your amps, I'd say give them more power.
I wasn't a fan of the Senn sound with a couple Metas I owned. Then I heard them with a MG-Head OTL, then a couple SinglePowers, then some Emmelines, etc.

Sep 28, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
I really do love the sound of my new(used) HD600s, but everytime I listen to them I fall asleep.
eek.gif
eek.gif

What should I do?

get some uncomfortable cans.
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 47
And if Prodigy's "Firestarter" isn't up to the task, Prodigy's "Breathe" or "Smack my Bitch Up" should accomplish the feat...

But I feel as though a mutiny is in order.
evil_smiley.gif
orphsmile.gif

You will be Alessandroized/Gradofied.

Resistance is futile!

BTW, I've fallen asleep with Audio technicas, too...the only thing that will manage to keep you awake is a Grado/Alessandro!

Currently listening to: "Renegades of Funk" by Rage Against the Machine on my Koss Porta Pros.

Sep 28, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
From a list of your amps, I'd say give them more power.
I wasn't a fan of the Senn sound with a couple Metas I owned. Then I heard them with a MG-Head OTL, then a couple SinglePowers, then some Emmelines, etc.

I'm building a Pimeta now, that's the best they're going to get for now, when Morsel's MMM project is ready, I'll build one of those, but that's months away. I can't see why the pimeta wouldn't be enough power (raw current and voltage) w/ a 24 volt DC supply. I'm a big believer in system synergy and I do think it's a more a matter of matching the right components to the task.

Sep 28, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

eek.gif
eek.gif

What should I do?

Give them to me and I'll give you a pair of very uncomfortable cans that will never allow you to fall asleep while wearing them!
eggosmile.gif

Sep 28, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbatth
get some uncomfortable cans.
tongue.gif

My CD780s are pretty comfy, but they didn't put me to sleep like this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Do they really put you to sleep when you weren't otherwise tired?

Yeah, I've fallen asleep listening with them in mid afternoon when I didn't feel particularly tired.

Sep 28, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 47
<threadjack>How long does it take you to build a PIMETA, earwax?

I was considering building one...

Can you use OPA627s in them with a two-9V battery snap? PM me, please.</threadjack>

Currently listening to: "Inside Out" by Eve 6 on my Koss Porta Pros

Sep 28, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
<threadjack>How long does it take you to build a PIMETA, earwax?

I don't think it will take very long once I decide on parts.
tongue.gif
I had it all planned out to be tweaked for my Sony's then I found a deal I couldn't pass by on these Senns, so I'm rethinking my gain and opamp decisions.

So, does anyone have an idea on an opamp that's refined but not so laidback as the 627/637?

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #12 of 47
Out of the 8 opamps I've heard in various amps, I haven't found a single one that I love with HD600 or HD650. If I had to pick one, I'd say the LM6171 is my favorite. So far, HD600/HD650 and solid state don't work for me. I may try a discrete amp sometime, but for now I've found that tubes are the way to go. The music is more involving when I match the Senns with tubes.

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 47
It's just a matter of what headphones you are using.

I am in a similar situation as you - I am using a pair of unamped HD595s and it really fatiques me. I keep on WANTING to buy grados but I like my HD595s so much better, and if it means sacrificing my energy for my college work to be able to SURVIVE it then... so be it
biggrin.gif
If my headphones weren't with me here, I don't know how I could have gotten any of my work done last year or this year...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

eek.gif
eek.gif

What should I do?

Get some coffee.
rs1smile.gif

For me, if anything, listening to 'phones keeps me awake, even in the wee hours of the night.

Sep 28, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #15 of 47
Hey, you falling asleep is a good sign! The HD-600s are telling you to sell these over priced and over rated dinosaurs and buy a pair of AKG-501s. I did that a year ago and I got rid of my aurally induced narcolepsi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back