I love my DT770/80 Pro's, what next?
Feb 4, 2009 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ArmAndHammer

Headphoneus Supremus
I hate to start another "What headphones should I get?" thread, but I am at a loss with so many options and me knowing nothing about any of them nor do I have a store in my area to go check things out.

So, with it being tax time I will have some money to spend in the next month or so, I thought after catching up some bills, getting some new ink, what would be better than some new cans...so here I am.

My budget, trying to keep it at $200 or less, could go up slightly if I think the extra money will be worth it.

I love my 770's. Pretty much everything about them. So that is what I am looking for. DT770/80 Pro's but better. Yeah, I know, but that is how I feel about them and with no other headphone experience I cannot really say I am looking for something that has the XXX sound. I do know that I don't like Grados/Alessandros or brightness. I need something with a warmer top end. I am also looking for something circumaural (a must) and closed preferred but not absolutely necessary. Portability is a non-issue as 100% of my listening is at home.

Music...I love Dave Matthews, Pink Floyd, Tom Waits, Govn't Mule, there are so many my mind is drawing a blank, but stuff along those lines. No metal or really hard rock though I do love Tool/Perfect Circle, Korn, some of that type of stuff.

One other criteria is the cans have to work with my current system. I do not/cannot buy another amp at the moment.

So if someone can throw out a few options for me to research over the next month I would greatly appreciate it.

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #2 of 18
I was in the same situation. I was looking for something like DT770 but better. However after briefly testing some other headphones (Denon D2000, Beyer DT250, AKG 601) i decided that i probably dont really know what i "like" because i havent heard all the options out there.

One thing i have realised though is that my DT 770 just can't keep up with alot of the music i have started listening more to after getting better equipment (string music, jazz, classical, vocal etc). It just isnt refined enough for me. I listen to alot of electronic/dub music too and the DT770 are great for that though.

So i ordered some Senn HD650, so ill see how that turns out
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 18
I haven't had my DT-770/80 for long but they are absolutely lovely. But, but, head-fi is a bad place and I already have a craving to own another nice pair of 'phones. They are just so pretty now!

I have had my eyes set on Ultrasone and Audio Technica, mainly because they seem to get the most praise on the bass on head-fi, which is something I don't want to go without!

Probably the Ultrasone HFI-780 for a few hundred bucks budget, judging from the opinions I've read
beyersmile.png
I like the look *dreaming*

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 18
I went from DT770/80 Pros to DT150s. It was a major step up. In fact, I have lost the urge to upgrade (the phones, not the rest of the system.
tongue.gif
) because I doubt I could do better in closed phones.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 18
...or you could buy a lot of music, keep enjoying the 770s for a few more months and later upgrade.

The reason I say this is because I really like my 770, it's only after hearing other headphones that I notice it's flaws. The mids are recessed and the treble will never be as refined as HD650 (of course) but if it was the only headphone that I had I would love it and enjoy it for a long time.
beyersmile.png

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like my 770, it's only after hearing other headphones that I notice it's flaws. The mids are recessed and the treble will never be as refined as HD650 (of course) but if it was the only headphone that I had I would love it and enjoy it for a long time.
beyersmile.png

definitely!
compared to my cd1k(same drivers as cd3k), the mids sound very nasal and the trebles inexistant....but on its own it sounds really good, mainly coz its isolation is perfect and that it can output up to 20Hz(the SONY stops at 60).

bottom line is : don't compare the 770 to other models, and you'll be most happy w/ it
beyersmile.png

the K601/DT880 will have more refined trebles/less bass and less pressure on your ears, plus their isolation will never reach the 770's levels.

it's so awesome to not hear my dog licking his ***** while watching a movie
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...or you could buy a lot of music, keep enjoying the 770s for a few more months and later upgrade.

The reason I say this is because I really like my 770, it's only after hearing other headphones that I notice it's flaws. The mids are recessed and the treble will never be as refined as HD650 (of course) but if it was the only headphone that I had I would love it and enjoy it for a long time.
beyersmile.png

I agree. I loved my DT770s while I owned them. The DT150s are even better, but the 770s are excellent phones in every respect.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..but the DT150 don't look too comfy, and they're not closed, so the isolation is prolly not comparable
redface.gif

They are not especially comfortable (though not bad.) They are closed, and they have better isolation than the DT770s.

Feb 4, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 18
If you like your headphones, why not just listen to music?
Or you interested in headphones not music?
Then i tell you what will happen next. You'll buy some Senns, then Denons, then, maybe, JVC and HD 800. Afterall you decide that you have too many headphones you're not listening to. Will sell them all and buy new PC to play Doom IV.
Hope it will never happen though...

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 18
Go hd 650, i have those as my 'other can' and fill all the gaps.
Aim lower and you'll end up with another can wih another bunch of flaws.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #14 of 18
Is DT770pro as much comfortable as DT880 consumer edition ?

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #15 of 18
next? why not the consumer 770?

the clamping is not as strong, so the sound is not as compressed...hence the bass is not overwhelming.

try to pull your 770Pro off your ears a bit, and you'll get a taste of it...I've just ordered some, should have them through the end of the week.

I'm basically very happy w/ mine, but the sound is too agressive to my taste....the same exact cans w/ a more mellow/transparent touch would be perfect.

that's what beyer has to say about it :

Quote:

Difference DT 770 PRO - DT 770

The DT 770 PRO is designed for use in studio and on stage for professional use.
The headband has a rugged construction and gives a secure fit for the listener. The retaining bracket for the ear cups is more angled than the Hifi-version. This provides a better fit and causes also a more powerfull compressed sound which is necessary for professional applications in studio and FOH.

The DT 770 is designed for listening music and relax. The headband provides a long wearing comfort for hours. The Hifi-version has a more transparent and open sound than the DT 770 PRO.

The difference of both headphones are not huge in mechanical design, but only that small change causes a big difference in sound and application.

DT 990 PRO - DT 990 = very similar difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back