I love my 650s...what should be next?
Apr 29, 2007 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

Minimauled

100+ Head-Fier
What would you suggest as an upgrade for someone who loves his 650s and has a some money to spend.

BTW, I'm looking to upgrade my headphones. For now I'm pretty much in love with my amp/dac rig. I'm wondering what it the next step up in cans for someone who likes the 650 sound. I've seen written that the 650s are "mid-fi" (hard for me to believe) so I'm wondering what the HI-FI version of the 650 would be.

Thanks!

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 75
hmmm, try the defoam and see if you like it or not, for purely cosmetic, since you love and it love the current sound, get a woody set from Larry
well, that is.. if you have another $300-400 to spend

well, if you really have so much money, then get both closed and open model from Larry and compare/tell us if there is any difference. Because so far, after a long period of research, there are less than 5 headfiers did review on the mod. The rest of them was base on opinion and assumption.

A more realistic suggestion, upgrade your source or amp might be a better option than what I mentioned above
========================
Never mind, just read your sig, impressive set up for amp and DAC XD

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 75
doh, read your profile, saw you have an Equinox LE on order
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 75
I love my HD650 as well. I am definitely going balanced on my next upgrade. Most likely Singlepower Supra route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
balanced??!?!

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 75
I edited my original post to clarify: I'm looking to keep my current rig but would like suggestions for another headphone keeping in mind that I really like the 650 sound. For example, I'm not a Grado fan. What's the next step up for the 650?

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 75
Recable to Zu or Silver Dragon if you haven't done so and then balanced mode sounds like a logical choice. They scale extremely well with equipment, so may be better DAC or amp is also in order.

EDIT: Checked you profile, seems like you pretty much set with amp and DAC already.

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 75
Well, seriously, looks like you can't do much there besides defoam it, woody it, or buy different cables to see which one do you like the most.

Ah, also, if you want to, you may also add beyer headband onto your 650

I am considering it because the paint on top of my headband is falling off. the byer headband is cheap too. like. 12 bux + s/h

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #11 of 75
I think it is a good plan that you mentioned above, where you say you want a new headphones to partner with the HD650. While balancing, adding amps and DACs etc. may be fun, having alternatives to switch to is a great idea....variety is the spice of life!
smily_headphones1.gif

That said, perhaps something along the lines of a woody, perhaps in the Audio Technica line. You wouldn't want to get something too similar to the Senns IMO.

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #12 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is a good plan that you mentioned above, where you say you want a new headphones to partner with the HD650. While balancing, adding amps and DACs etc. may be fun, having alternatives to switch to is a great idea....variety is the spice of life!
smily_headphones1.gif

That said, perhaps something along the lines of a woody, perhaps in the Audio Technica line. You wouldn't want to get something too similar to the Senns IMO.

Actually, I have a pair of W5000 ordered so hopefully I'll be happy with those but i'm so in love with the 650 sound i fully expect to be putting them up for sale here after i check them out. i hope not, though.

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #13 of 75
I love my HD650s, and had a pair of W5000s. They were incredibly detailed and open...you can read my short impression and comparisons in the thread I posted yesterday about a new headphone choice. Ultimately I let them go, but I think a primary factor was fitment and seal (mine was a slightly older model, before they modified and reduced the headband size I believe) - especially since I have a very narrow dome. If you get a good fit and seal you may just keep them!

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 75
Why not pick up a pair of HD600's? I love my 650's and am in the process of going balanced as this makes a huge improvment. After listening to 600's at the meet there is a set on the way to do some A/B comparison and enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back