I love minidisc - is that weird?
Sep 5, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #196 of 243
Both flea bay and scumtree

Sent from my MI 4S using Tapatalk

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #197 of 243
My collection has grown considerably in the last couple of months

Sent from my MI 4S using Tapatalk

Awesome stuff!
Really reminds me of the good times where you have to actually play a CD track in real time, connect via an optical-in and then press record.
It's so manual and authentic..haha

My only Sony was a play-only unit - the MZ-E90. I got this one from Japan and it's so freaking light. 
My last MD unit is the MD-MT877, in the ages before Net MD or Hi-MD existed. Still works though the Ni-MH battery probably conked off.
Man, I think I could start gushing about my Sony cassette players next but I think that's off topic :)

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #198 of 243

I love minidisc too! I still have a Sharp MD player recorder and a bunch of MDs I recorded. Ha. Those were the days. I had also bought a Sony home player recorder an actually still listen to them.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #199 of 243
Ha, I have a Sharp MD player as well. Nice sound, nice top end. Liked it more than the Sony sound (which sounded flatter) even though I was a Sony snob at the time. :)  It always sounded better than MP3 - probably because it was (24-bit compressed audio, I think it was?),

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #200 of 243
I have the top of the line Sony MD. I LOVE it. I cant say its not favorite, but for sure its something different with top notch sound. Some of the hires recordings are AMAZING. 

Craig

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #204 of 243
I'm not married. Probably cause I play PSP in my bed.

As long as you're happy, that's all that matters.
normal_smile .gif

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #206 of 243
Another fan here.

It's still part of my main set-up.
I have the Sony MDS-JB930 - it was quite pricey when I bought it if I remember. Also have a Sharp portable player as well.

I really like the format.

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #207 of 243
I don't understand the love for minidisk or portable CD players. There are so outdated. Each disk holds so little music. Portable CD players are relatively large, and none fit in a shirt pocket. The only thing I find good about them is that they use AA batteries. I like the idea of using easily swappable batteries. Eneloop rechargeables work quite well. I never had a minidisk player, but did have plenty of portable CD players. I was so glad when flash memory based mp3 players came out, and i could put the player in my shirt pocket.

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #209 of 243
Minidisc blanks are also expensive, and seem to be getting more expensive as time goes by. i assume they stopped being made a long time ago. Are there any issues using very old disks? Most minidisk portables seem to be just players, so if someone gets one, they would also need a minidisk deck to record minidisks.

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #210 of 243
  Minidisc blanks are also expensive, and seem to be getting more expensive as time goes by. i assume they stopped being made a long time ago. Are there any issues using very old disks? Most minidisk portables seem to be just players, so if someone gets one, they would also need a minidisk deck to record minidisks.

I have the Sharp MD-MT90 portable which does indeed record.
My discs are a number of years old now and still ok.

I think I still have 7 or 8 new discs still in the packaging unused.
Most of my md's are compilations / mixes recorded direct from cd. I've always liked the fact you can name the tracks as well.

I also agree that they have a nice warm sound. Less clinical than a cd, but still maintain clarity and detail. I'd almost liken them to listening to vinyl?
My main player still gets used all the time. It was in use last night for a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back