i love microsoft peripherals!
Jul 24, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would remind folks, strictly off the record, that whether you prefer Logitec or not, one of the truly, consistently good things about the Microsoft mouse is that they all have a virtual lifetime warranty. When one ceases to function (due to a cause other than obvious physical abuse) the owner can contact Microsoft and, after registering the item, request that it be 'repaired'. In lieu of repair, Microsoft will RMA it and provide either a new version of the same model or a commensurate newer version if the old model is out of production.

I did IT work for a number of years and convinced many people to purchase the original Intellimouse Explorer Laser Mouse (the first). Over the years, these did break down, but I personally RMAed 3 of them. Microsoft replaced every one.

Come to think of it, my dear old dad is still stubbornly using his original Intellimouse Explorer. It's the one one I know of that's still in daily service.

Good to know.
I should try that with one of my crippled Microsoft Trackball Opticals.

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My daughter occasionally spilled drinks onto her keyboards. M$ KB's looked nice enough for teen-girl fashion sense and were fairly inexpensive replacements. I just got a M$ Digital Media Pro for use with my laptop. It was on sale for $15, and all the functions worked without special drivers in Vista Basic.

I greatly prefer the IBM model M keyboard for gaming as my hands are large and the M has big keys and enough heft to keep me from pushing it around. They're not made any more unfortunately. I got mine from the salvage bins at my place of work.

Ive got a Model M, 1397599, removable keycaps, detachable cable, ridiculously good build quality. One of these in good condition can sell for >$80 these days.

ClickyKeyboards

Jul 25, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive got a Model M, 1397599, removable keycaps, detachable cable, ridiculously good build quality. One of these in good condition can sell for >$80 these days.

ClickyKeyboards

So I've heard. They throw these Ms out all the time. I've tried selling some, and ended up not being able to give any away.

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #34 of 48
I had a comfort optical 3000 and its wheel got clogged up in a way after a while, some rubbing alcohol on the wheel itself and a quick dissection and cleaning of where it rotates fixed that (their smooth rotating wheel)

Was looking at the bluetooth one for my laptop but decided against it after trying the vx revo i decided i could live with the dongle which isnt that big or intrusive only thing i dont like is how gravity moves wheel.

Also have a microsoft comfortcurve 2000 does the job for the 13 bucks it cost and then some webcam (forget exact model) which was 30ish bucks and also works well.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I greatly prefer the IBM model M keyboard for gaming as my hands are large and the M has big keys and enough heft to keep me from pushing it around. They're not made any more unfortunately. I got mine from the salvage bins at my place of work.

Clicky keyboards rule. I've got an old Northgate 101 that I need to have the Alps contacts refurbed on. My favorite.

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ClickyKeyboards

I've yet to find a keyboard without replaceable keys.

I think I have a few clickies around, as soon as someone finds a way for me to hook them up via USB then I might try them out (They are good ol AT's).

I still love the cheapies though.

Jul 27, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have to agree Microsoft understand how design keyboards, I find too many other brands which has goofy keyboard layout no matter how much they charge. Although I can't use them because they are all wireless which I have a lot of bad experience with.

I want these keyboards by Ortek, but they don't seem to sell retail.

Right now I'm using the Logitech illuminate keyboard, even though I don't have to stare at the keyboard while typing, I don't think I can go back to non-lighted keyboards.

I looked at the Ortek link - 2.4 GHz wireless? But it's not Bluetooth? That's an odd design - I don't see the point of that.

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #39 of 48
I don't think MS hardware is the best, but I can say they're making descent stuffs. I like their after service policy. All MS after services I had so far were hassle free. Big thumbs up for that.

My compaq keyboard that came with old computer is acting up lately, so I went out to buy new one. Something I hate about recent keyboard products is that the fact most of them are slim keyboards. They look slick, but simply don't have that tactile feel I want. And what's up with those zillion function keys? I don't think I am ever gonna use half of them at all.

I have the keyboard I want to use, IBM M, but it stays on the shelf since the angry wife woke up by keyboard sound at the middle of night is something I don't want to see. If I ask a keyboard that gives IBM M like tactile feel without noise, am I asking to much? I will appreciate if someone lets me know something like that.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #41 of 48
i think i generally like microsoft, i even happy with their OSs, they work, all apps seem to work well, they are tinkerable, graphically pleasing,

i find this keyboard really nice now ive had it for a few days, plus battery life iss rated at months, finding i dont need a mouse with it too!

i also feel the pricing is right, build quality good, price
tongue.gif
erformance ratio is perfect

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #42 of 48
microsoft stuff can be very good, I am currently using a bog standard wired optical 3 button mouse from microsoft and their ergo wired keyboard.

Both I am very happy with, but only after literally throwing away a far more expensive wireless microsoft ergo keyboard and mouse set.

Their wireless stuff stinks, blue tooth has so far been a huge improvement over wireless when using the microsoft bluetooth notebook mouse with my notebook.

My fave is bog standard wired peripherals though as they just seem the most robust and work flawlessly every time.

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the keyboard I want to use, IBM M, but it stays on the shelf since the angry wife woke up by keyboard sound at the middle of night is something I don't want to see. If I ask a keyboard that gives IBM M like tactile feel without noise, am I asking to much? I will appreciate if someone lets me know something like that.

Take a look at the Das Keyboard: The mechanical keyboard that clicks or any other keyboard that uses mechanical key switches for similar but not identical tactile feedback as the model M.
Personally I use the Cherry G84-4100PRAUS but its a compact light weight board with no physical numpad.

These will be significantly quieter than the model M but not silent like the typical synthetic membrane keyboards, it would be best to try one out first to see if it would still be too loud.

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #44 of 48
@Seaside: I seem to recall that some of the newer German-made Cherry keyboards boasted a more concrete construction and tactile feel, while being less archaic that the IBM Ms [Sorry, Zodduska, my oversight.]. I might also plug the original Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro, which I recall as being a serious, sturdy instrument of data-ingress. The last one I owned, I sold to the architectural firm I worked for when I rebuilt some of their workstations, and I finally watched it go out of commission after three additional years of hard key-mileage.

Natural Keyboard Pro

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at the Das Keyboard: The mechanical keyboard that clicks or any other keyboard that uses mechanical key switches for similar but not identical tactile feedback as the model M.
Personally I use the Cherry G84-4100PRAUS but its a compact light weight board with no physical numpad.

These will be significantly quieter than the model M but not silent like the typical synthetic membrane keyboards, it would be best to try one out first to see if it would still be too loud.

Hello, I'm the Community Manager for Das Keyboard; Das Keyboard is definitely a great tactile experience with the clicky switches and a solid piece of technology, but it's definitely not silent. Tell you what, if you end up getting one, let me know and I'll send you some earplugs for your wife if it's too loud for her. Good luck with your research! @daskeyboard on twitter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back