I love Hans Zimmer. Any recommendations?
Oct 20, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #61 of 87
x2 on the Inception recommendation..great tracks!
normal_smile .gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #62 of 87
Great thread. Nice to see open-minded people mixing different genres (movie scores, videogames).
Surprised it took that long a thread before someone mentioned Poledouris' Hunt for Red October, another great submarine music theme on top of Zimmer's famous Crimson Tide score.

A couple of scores none of you have mentioned yet that I love from Zimmer. One is called K2. A B-movie about mountain climbing for which Zimmer's music ended up being discarded. Yet it's an amazing score. Much better than what they ended up using, what a shame! It's only 2 long tracks of over 20-mins each (Zimmer loves "suites" as opposed to 90-second tracks, and so do I!) and it's a great test for any music system, be it headphones or speakers. His score goes all the way from the deepest bass to the highest treble in no time and it's a treat. You would swear you can see the mountains just listening to the first 2mins. It might be hard to find so pls let me know if none of you can access it (I've been collecting movie scores for over 25 years and own close to 800 of them - fan of Zimmer from Day 1 btw).

The other great score of his is for Pacific Heights.

As for the rest of his work, you guys have covered it: Thin Red Line, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Lion King, etc.

Cheers,
Raphael

Oct 21, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #63 of 87
To find more similar music, try reverse-engineering the quality that it comes from: Look up some reputable orchestras and get their music directly. Like the London Philharmonic, or Boston Pops.

If you don't mind minimalist, give Philip Glass a go. Or maybe Nobuo Uematsu, for that inspiring adventure music.

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #66 of 87

Quote:
The Hunt for the Red October OST by Basil Poledouris is awesome too.

Listening to that as I type this, "Hymn to Red October (Main Theme)" and "Ancenstral Aid" are my favorite tracks.

IMHO one of the best soundtracks ever created. But I might be biased, look up Denmark on Google maps, then zoom out 'till you can see all of Russia. Growing up in the early 80's we knew that if the russians ever made a move, we'd be nothing more than a stepping stone. One of our more cynical (some said pragmatic) politicians suggested that we cancelled our army and just put up signs saying "Мы сдаемся!" (We surrender!) 
biggrin.gif

Sorry for going offtopic, I'm definitely watching The Hunt For The Red October when I get home tonight. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #67 of 87
Ok, guess it's time for my first post in here :D.

I am too a huge fan of soundtracks / scores of both movies and games. Most of my favorites were already listed in this thread, but I find the following amazingly interesting to listen to as well. Of course, YMMV.

Movies:
Blood Diamond by James Newton Howard. Cant believe this isnt mentioned in here (or did I overlook it?). Extremely powerful soundtrack, to an extremely powerful movie. "Village Attack" and "Fall of Freetown" are full of energy; "Solomon Vandy" is simply beautiful.

300 by Tyles Bates. Already mentioned once in the thread i think. This is SO good, it deserves another mention. Amazing. Some of my favorites: 1. "To Victory" and 4. "Returns a King". Get goosebumps listening to these.

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen [Original Score]  by Steve Jablonsky. I believe there is a "Soundtrack" out there (which only has the "normal" songs by the likes of Linkin Park, Staind, etc) , you are looking for the score! Has a nice dark theme, but it always gets permeated by the characteristic "optimistic" melody from the movie - every time the Autobots show up it gets boring imo :wink:.       Personal favorites: 5."The Fallen"; 8. "The Fallen's Arrival"; 11. "Precious Cargo" and 13. "I Claim Your Sun".              
As a side note, the score of Transformers (the first part) might be worth a listen as well, I do prefer the score of the second one.

Other  really good scores/soundtracks: The Fifth Element by Eric Serra(then again, who doesnt remember Diva Plavalaguna; there are a few dark ones as well); Predator by Alan Silvestri; both should be fairly familiar actually..

Games:
Tiberian Twilight. An amazing soundtrack to a (for me) disappointing ending to easily the most influential series of games in the RTS genre. Anyhow; here Im really stunned by the "Brotherhood of NOD" part of the soundtrack - small preview here and here

Mass Effect 2 by Jack Wall is worth a listen as well in my opinion, but may not be your cup of coffee/tee/whatever :).

Hope you find something you like in there!
Nick

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #68 of 87

Quote:

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen [Original Score]  by Steve Jablonsky. I believe there is a "Soundtrack" out there (which only has the "normal" songs by the likes of Linkin Park, Staind, etc) , you are looking for the score! Has a nice dark theme, but it always gets permeated by the characteristic "optimistic" melody from the movie - every time the Autobots show up it gets boring imo :wink:.       Personal favorites: 5."The Fallen"; 8. "The Fallen's Arrival"; 11. "Precious Cargo" and 13. "I Claim Your Sun".              
As a side note, the score of Transformers (the first part) might be worth a listen as well, I do prefer the score of the second one.

Transformers OST:  "Autobots", "Arrival to Earth", "Scorponok"

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #71 of 87
I second The Rock and The Last Samurai. But if I had to choose one, it would be The Last Samurai, brilliant soundtrack.

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #72 of 87
I second The Rock and The Last Samurai. But if I had to choose one, it would be The Last Samurai, brilliant soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back