I love Hans Zimmer. Any recommendations?
Apr 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #46 of 87
I am a fan of Hans Zimmer too, IMO his style is quite set right now and he's got more demands than ever. I usually said "Hans Zimmer is the next John Williams while Michael Giacchino is becoming the next Zimmer" jokingly to my friends... Because I felt that Zimmer's music's becoming more and more formulaic (which is logical because we hear him more these days so we clicked with his personal style more) while back then when John Williams was doing a lot of stuff, Zimmer's style sounded fresh exactly because we haven't heard him a lot.

I didn't quite like his Pirates output. I felt that the first Pirate has the perfectly matching score (it was done by a different guy) which is a tad more minimalist. Zimmer's Pirates sound typically him; epic and all, which I think does not give the movie the edge. It felt like an epic war score while the original Pirates OST did sound like a pirate score. BUT, this gives the Zimmer scores and edge of being more enjoyable as a standalone music. While for the Black Pearl scores I can't really enjoy them when it was stripped off the visuals.

In my opinion, Hans Zimmer's best is still The Lion King. Truly the best. The partnership with Elton John was brilliant as well. I think The Lion King's score is one of the absolute pinnacle of movie soundtracks.

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #47 of 87
^Thanks, you just sold me on the Lion King CD
smily_headphones1.gif
But yea I have all of the Pirates CDs and I could definitely see the difference between Klaus Badelt (he is the guy you're thinking about) and Hans Zimmer
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll give them a listen later tonight and see what I find
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #48 of 87
The Rock OST is his best imo
biggrin.gif

The Modern Warfare 2 (only the main theme is from Hans Zimmer, rest is composed by Lorne Balfe I think) is quite nice too, very The Rock on most parts!

The Hunt for the Red October OST by Basil Poledouris is awesome too.

Also worth checking out:

Metal Gear Solid soundtracks (some bits by Harry Gregson-Williams)

Kingdom of Heaven OST by Harry Gregson-Williams

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #51 of 87
I am also a fan.if you haven't got it yet,KUng Fu PAnda is awesame.
Especially"Sacred pool of Tears" really fantastic with many instruments,page turns,Details and you can even hear the performers inhale and taking their breath.one of his best works.

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #54 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also a fan.if you haven't got it yet,KUng Fu PAnda is awesame.
Especially"Sacred pool of Tears" really fantastic with many instruments,page turns,Details and you can even hear the performers inhale and taking their breath.one of his best works.

Nice song. I did watch the movie but never paid attention to the score. Surprise surprise, it's Hans Zimmer and John Powell again.

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #55 of 87
Don't forget John Powell's X-Men Last Stand and Bolt.  Two fav's of mine.

James Horner has gotten tremendously generic sounding over the years, the pseudo synthed choral vocals are getting really old. 

Oh, and we can thank Apple for not having lossless or CD's available for Modern Warfare 2 OST. 
mad.gif

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #56 of 87
you guys should check out harry gregson williams who did the soundtracks for uncharted 1 and 2 and also the crysis soundtrack done by inon zur.

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #58 of 87
My best OST of all times:

The Last Of The Mohicans by Trevor Jones/Randy Edelman (1992)
- these guys deserved to be mentioned -
Best song from this OST - 6 "Promontory" - 6:15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also like OST´s (except that previosly mentioned upper by others) for "DJ movies" like: It´s All Gone Pete Tong (2004) Berlin Calling (2008) or for (older) games like:
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
Tony Hawk´s Pro Skater 2-4
Crashday and many more...

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #59 of 87
INCEPTION!  That soundtrack blows me away, I usually throw it on when I'm studying for school and it pretty much 'incepts' the information into my brain.  Well, I'd like to think that anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
 I've never listened to any of his other soundtracks, but I'm definitely going to give the others mentioned above a listen.  I'm totally hooked on this one!

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #60 of 87
Back to Titanic soundtrack is really good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back