I love Hans Zimmer. Any recommendations?
Apr 13, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #31 of 87
Broken Arrow's OST is epic, it was coproduced by Harry Gregson Williams as well
cool.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #33 of 87
I'm surprised it took until the second page for Crimson Tide to show up. It's what made him famous, no? Every dramatic flick copied him heavily for a year or two after that (he even did it himself in The Rock).

And if you like that, I'd like to say that the step isn't far to Vangelis 1492 (especially the Conquest of Paradise theme, Hispanola and Moxica and the Horse).

I'd also like to recommend the End Titles from Apollo 13 by James Horner.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #36 of 87
Check out The Island soundtrack by Steve Jablonsky too. IMO it was almost better than the movie itself (ok movie, excellent music).

I don't think anyone mentioned John Powell (Bourne Identity, Bourne Supremacy, and Bourne Ultimatum) or Danny Elfman (he did the Spiderman movies, The Hulk... lots more. I've been meaning to get the Terminator Salvation soundtrack, but haven't yet.)

Marco Beltrami did some interesting ones too, (I, Robot and Hellboy)

And of course there is the soundtrack to 300 (Tyler Bates) and Deathrace (Paul Haslinger).

James Newton Howard is good, but IMO his soundtracks are harder to get into at first since they aren't always as exciting. Don't get me wrong, I recommend his soundtracks, just know that his, and some other's aren't always as fast paced as Danny Elfman
tongue.gif

Avatar (James Horner) had a decent soundtrack although not as intense as others mentioned. (same as above goes for this one. Not as constantly fast-paced, but IMO still a good listen depending on your taste).

Now that I've thrown out all those names, here's my list I think you should start with (just suggestions, give or take a few from the above list)...

Hans Zimmer - The Last Samuri
Steve Jablonsky - The Island
John Powell (Bourne Identity, Bourne Supremacy, and Bourne Ultimatum were all pretty good, I have the last two. Pick one
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Marco Beltrami - I, Robot

Hans Zimmer also did the music to the second two Pirates of the Caribbean movies, although you may or may not care for it. I loved it, but listened to it way to much, so now I don't really like it as much.

Basically just watch action movies and try to pay attention to the music
smily_headphones1.gif
. Music can make a movie or ruin it (I'm sure you know what I mean if you've ever seen any really low-budget movies). That means the music to good movies is usually pretty good.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #38 of 87
Quote:

I don't think anyone mentioned John Powell or Danny Elfman

I actually literally put down Powell, Elfman, several others, than decided to keep just Newton Howard/Gregson-Williams/Jablonsky because they're stylistically more similar to Zimmer. Nonetheless both are, to say nothing more, hugely talented composers.

Quote:

Avatar (James Horner) had a decent soundtrack although not as intense as others mentioned. (same as above goes for this one. Not as constantly fast-paced, but IMO still a good listen depending on your taste).

Avatar, to say the least, was essentially a Horner mashup of his entire reportoire. To be honest he didn't really pull out anything new from his bag, but considering the situation, it panned out.

Quote:

Hans Zimmer also did the music to the second two Pirates of the Caribbean movies, although you may or may not care for it. I loved it, but listened to it way to much, so now I don't really like it as much.

Zimmer really strived to do something with the gem Badelt left him (interestingly enough, Zimmer was tapped first to score The Black Pearl but was unable to, due to scheduling conflicts with Last Samurai). Although Badelt's themes ultimately became the most well-known, Zimmer did a competent job of interpreting Badelt's score.

Many may know Philip Glass as one of the most prominent avant-garde classical minimalists, but he's also taken on writing film scores. The Illusionist OST is a remarkable piece of work, something quite different than the usual soundtrack. Ironically, I watched the movie and really liked the soundtrack without realizing that Glass was the one who scored the music. YouTube - The Illusionist Soundtrack - 05 The Orange Tree

Soundtrack-Fi

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #41 of 87
So I want to say thanks again to everyone that posted and I hope this thread keeps living
biggrin.gif

Just updated my library with the Lord of the Rings Sountracks, Avatar, and I robot one as well.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #42 of 87
Watched Apocalypto by Mel Gibson? James Horner did the score. I watched it years ago and never realized James did the score. Man what a movie and some impressive score!

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #44 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love his work also. Have you played MW2? MW2 OST was GRAND especially the cliffhanger mission after the bomb goin' off. Plan B is the name of the song...absolutely love it.

The game is awesome, the music is even more!
Did they publish the CD? I can't find any info about this OST.

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #45 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by joomongj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watched Apocalypto by Mel Gibson? James Horner did the score. I watched it years ago and never realized James did the score. Man what a movie and some impressive score!

I had no idea Apocalypto had a sound track. I loved the movie. I'm definitely going to check that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back