I literally grabbed it off Xin's workbench!
Jun 23, 2004 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

bobjew

100+ Head-Fier
I did, and told him he wasn't getting it back. We had a good laugh about it, too!

My old buddy George and I drove down to Davis CA this Saturday. He had business with his niece (as well as a Lexus) there so we decided to give Xin Feng a jingle as well for dinner. It was a good time as usual.

We got to see Xin's new scooter, a brand new 150cc Piaggio. He's selling his car. Nice- disk brakes up front and freeway legal.

Besides the scooter, we got to have a little insight into what's to come at Xintech and the SuperDuals.

One nice improvement we discussed is a slicker case for the SD. Maybe a sleeker aluminum one or one modelled after the Bauhaus type styling of the Mac G5 cases. Xin was entirely amenable to this. I, for one would pay more for this type of case.

Another thing we discussed was a different form factor for the SDs. I've always thought an amp that was really flat that would velcro to whatever (Ipod?) would make the SD more pocketable. I also want one of these.

After dinner, we went back over to Xin's and he had a copy of a production looking SD amp on his bench. He had explained that he just finished it that morning and that it incorporated the latest improvements. I just happened to have my portable setup with me. (XP-7, Sony D-777, Headfile Blackcoral cable, Ety4s).

Can we have a listen? Time for a mini meet! It was getting late, so we did some quick back and forths with the amps almost but not really matched for volume. Sounded very good to me, but I would have to get this thing home and spend some time to really be able to tell, soooo.... I just grabbed it and said, I'm taking this! You had to be there, we all broke up and needless to say, no resistance!

That was Saturday and today is Tuesday. It's been burning in for about 60 hours and as with just about all of Xin's amps it's really opening up. I will run it a few more days to allow microdetail and more air to develop. New Xinamps tend to be a little tight and constricted.

Even at that, this little amp is incredible. I am comparing my XP-7 (with identical ad8610 opamps) note by note and I can't tell the difference. I have been at this for hours and hours over the last few days. Can't believe it!
The SD even goes one better with tighter and more detailed Bass than the XP-7.

I have even connected both amps to my Phillips 963sa in case my Sony portable source was the limiting factor. Still sound the same, but with the SD putting out better Bass.

The XP-7 bests the SD+ only in headroom. when you get both amps into ear-bleed loud territory, the Xp-7 will play louder and clip later, but again, you don't want to get this loud. Also, it's great to be able to roll opamps to twaek the sound one way or the other.

As far as the total general listening experience, the SuperSD,SDver2,SD+, whatever you want to call it, is just as involving, and great sounding as the XP-7. This is from an amp less than 1/10th the size. Amazing!

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 27
good post. so when are the other Head-Fiers in the area going to see it?
wink.gif

I would be interested in an aluminum housing and a slim case design too. I don't know the dimensions of the current one but since most portable players you will use with the SD will be longer and wider than the current SD design in most cases, a slim case design won't be bad at all.

Jun 23, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
good post. so when are the other Head-Fiers in the area going to see it?
wink.gif

I still have his adddress from the last meet at his place, we'll just go over and grab it some dark night this week!
tongue.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 27
Very interesting post! I got mine SD last Friday and put it into 24-hours-a-day burning. I'd say it's getting better and better. What's most amazing is that my MX500 has a really good sound out of it. You can't believe this small thing can give a big and clear sound.

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 27
bobjew, am I right in understanding that your listening experience is based on a new and improved version of the SD? Not the one currently on sale?

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjew
Even at that, this little amp is incredible. I am comparing my XP-7 (with identical ad8610 opamps)

On Xin Technologies website, it states the SD uses an AD8620.
confused.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
On Xin Technologies website, it states the SD uses an AD8620.
confused.gif

The ad8610 is a mono opamp vs the ad8620 is a dual opamp. They are supposed to have the same sound signature. The mono one is used in higher end amps where they split the left and right channel and sometimes use a ground channel as well. This all results in better stereo seperation and soundstage. I personally found the both ad8620 and ad8610 just a tad to bright. I switched to LT1122 opamps in my PPA and have very impressed after the initial burn-in. Very smooth and musical while keeping all the detail w/out being overly bright. I'm not sure if these can be used in the xr-7 or if there's a dual version for the SD.

I also wanted to add the it seems Xin is already making revisions as the sd is getting released which is nice but it kills the resale value when you've only had your amp a week and there's already a new model in less than a month and then another and so on.

edit: Bob, even though you're comparing it to the XR-7, I thought you didn't like that sound that much with the ad8610 in it.

Jun 23, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 27
Thanks all, the improvements are implemented as we speak and some already have the changes according to an email from Xin this AM. The SDs that don't have it will be recalled to have it. A classy move on XF's part.

Mike: Yes, I do find the 8610 a little light and bright, but that's a matter a taste I guess and wanted to make sure there was an equivalance between the the opamps. I will be messing around with darker cables to maybe tone down the sound a little after the amp burns in.

Greg: Damn, you have have the gate codes too! Good thing I'm moving...

Jun 23, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Thanks all, the improvements are implemented as we speak and some already have the changes according to an email from Xin this AM. The SDs that don't have it will be recalled to have it. A classy move on XF's part.

Mike: Yes, I do find the 8610 a little light and bright, but that's a matter a taste I guess and wanted to make sure there was an equivalance between the the opamps. I will be messing around with darker cables to maybe tone down the sound a little after the amp burns in.

You mentioned form factor & case as possible future improvements but i don't know what other improvements may have already been included in the SD ? You also say that SDs may be recalled to make the improvements which is a b*gger for me cos mine are already being shipped. Also my prototype definately has an 8620. As i understand it the Superdual is called a superDUAL cos of the 8620 so are you absolutely sure it now has an 8610 ?

Jun 23, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Just kidding Bob, just kidding....
tongue.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 27
Ah man, Bob, youre having all the fun AFTER I moved away. I'll be up for a visit soon, dont you worry.

I'll call ya soon.

Jun 23, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #13 of 27
I was also under the impression that the SD used dual mono opamps. Is this not the case? I'd also like to know what improvements have been done since the production model was released. And, if I were to order one now, would it include said improvements?

Jun 23, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by momerath
I was also under the impression that the SD used dual mono opamps. Is this not the case? I'd also like to know what improvements have been done since the production model was released. And, if I were to order one now, would it include said improvements?

I sent an email to Xintechs and got this respose:

"You're correct, we are continually looking at ways to improve. Generally, the design is fixed, but there is one point where a change was made that did significantly improve the already excellent sound quality. I can't go into the details of the design change, as I'm sure you'll understand.

Please send me your serial number when you receive the amp, and I'll let you know if yours can benefit from the revision. When we are certain which units can benefit from the design improvement, we will be sending out a note to our customers. Please bear with us. I'll be happy to check your serial number out soon as you send it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back