I like Norah Jones - what else can I get that is similar...
Feb 5, 2003 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

HappymaN

500+ Head-Fier
Well it's all said in the title. Which artists out there have a similar sound to Norah Jones, and her band. Nice simple acoustic instruments, with a good vocalist.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any suggestions?

Feb 5, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 20
Try Jacintha. Her Heres to Ben CD has some great Jazz artists playing while she adds her smooth vocals.

Feb 6, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 20
The late Eva Cassidy had an amazing vocal range. Arrangements are usually simple and to the point, although genre is hard to define (one reason she never had a record contract during her life). The Songbird compilation or Live at Blues Alley would be good introductions to her music.

Feb 6, 2003 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 20
take this as another thumbs up for Jacintha's Here's to Ben. She does all the tracks in a very slow and smooth manner. For me, the highlight is the arrangements

You might also want to try Keiko Lee's album, if you find it around. Amazon.com has them. She has a lower range and not as smooth but IMO, like Norah Jones, has a distinctive voice and does not indulge in vocal gymnastics. Her greatest hits, album, Voices, is on amazon as well.

Feb 6, 2003 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 20
Try the Cowboy Junkies "Trinity Sessions" album

Feb 6, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 20
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to Borders this weekend with these in mind.

Feb 7, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 20
I've been enjoying Melody Diachun's "Lullaby of the Leaves." Same genre, available at cdbaby.com
md

Feb 11, 2003 at 8:32 AM Post #10 of 20
Try 'At First Light" and 'Port of Cal' by Silje Nergaard who is a female European Jazz singer. Personally, I prefer Silje to Norah Jones.

Feb 11, 2003 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 20
You might consider Sade. I happened to be reading a music rag the other day, and some reviewer made this comparison. Perhaps not quite as "acoustic" as Norah though.

Feb 13, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #14 of 20
When I first listened to Norah Jones, the first artist that came to mind was Shannon McNally. She is also a new artist that is becoming known. Try her "Jukebox Sparrows". You can sample the music on Amazon, do check it out and let me know what you think.

Enjoy,
W

Feb 14, 2003 at 11:17 AM Post #15 of 20
Thanks to this thread I now have a Norah Jones CD and Port of Call of Silje Nergaard.

Think I'm gonna download some songs of the other singers mentioned, see how I like them.

You know, when I first posted here I got the traditional welcome.
Never thought my wallet would suffer so much even before my first headphones I ordered arrived. The first since I registered here.
eek.gif

They is so much beautiful music out there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back