I knew what to get, now not so sure...
Nov 19, 2011 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jahlen

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for new earphones and before I went to the head-fi forums I knew what I wanted, not so much any more... So... Please tell me what to get so I don't have to spend more time here. :wink:

Here are some prerequisites: 

- budget for 1 around $500.
- can't really test listen or return
- no amp, mostly iPhone source.
- neutral sound, excellent for rock, pop, even some classic
- comfortable and discreet looking

Candidates: UM3X, SE535, ATH-CK100, Turbine Copper, ER-4P/S

Or should I wait for something about to hit the market...

Nov 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 15
I will highly recommend to try Sony EX1000, Westone 4, PFE232 and RE272, they all sound great with these genres music and are on neutral side.

Nov 20, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 15
So what put you off what you were thinking of buying (and what was it?).

Nov 21, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
So what put you off what you were thinking of buying (and what was it?).

It started with the 530 recommended by a friend, since it now is replaced with the 535 I wanted to check out some reviews before deciding. I also believe that when spending this amount of money on ear-phones you want to check what's out there before making a decision. After spending some time reading the reviews and checking the top-lists I came up with the candidate above. My problem is that I just can't decide, they all have pros and cons... 

Ratings by sound UM3X, Turbine Copper, ATH-CK100, SE535, ER-4P/S
My rating by model Turbine copper, ER-4P/S, ATH-CK100, UM3X, SE535
My rating by looks ER-4P/S, ATH-CK100, UM3X, SE535, Turbine copper
Waranty, changeable filters... Turbine copper, ER-4P/S, UM3X, SE535, ATH-CK100

Model is kind of important, I'm used to cable down so that makes 535 and UM3X difficult... If the turbine coppers would have been black and less bling I'd bought them straight away. In other words, it's a mess :)

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
- comfortable and discreet looking

Quote:
I will highly recommend to try Sony EX1000, ...

Quote:
Sure, the EX1000 looks gorgeous on a table or in your hands, but don't any of you feel like Dumbo (without the added benefit of being able to fly) when you put it on? I sure do.

wink.gif

@jahlen: Any reference earphones that you've heard and care to comment on? Plus, how important is isolation?

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
that is a weird short list, i cant work out how you got to those or really what the turbines are doing there.

prob UM3x btw

I agree that the list is a bit weird but to me it make sense :)  I compiled the list by looking at other peoples top lists and reviews, picking the top 5 that I could see myself buying. They're all pretty decent universals and as mentioned earlier they all have their pros and cons. Reading reviews I don't believe I would be disappointed with the sound from any of them, since I can't listen to them (within a reasonable time) I have to go on opinions from others.

Regarding the turbines, well, in short they have the best warranty of the bunch, they come with great accessories and I like the form, especially that they can be worn cord down. Hate the way they look though.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
wink.gif

@jahlen: Any reference earphones that you've heard and care to comment on? Plus, how important is isolation?

On the IEM front I come from a pair of Sony MDR-EX71, to be honest, not the best sound and pretty crappy quality. On the other hand they were cheap and for the purpose I bought them they've been great. Now, the reason I'm aiming higher this time is that I'm not only replacing the EX71 but also my ATH-A900 and my home stereo system. I could live with the EX71 at gym and while on the road but now I want a pair of really good ones. The CK100's are on the list because I was pretty pleased with A900, excellent sound and quality, Audio Technica is close to my heart but I'm willing to move on...

I'm not aiming for 100% isolation, let's put it this way, I want to at least be able to hear a car horn when out jaywalking...

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 15
No problem, I've been content with cheap and rather cappy Sonys for most part of my life :wink: But going by the A900, which strike me as a better reference, you'd like rather neutral phones with good mids. The CK100 fit that bill, as well as the Shures, the others I haven't heard. I also think the Ortofon e-Q7 would be a good choice, not as much mid forward and also a bit leaner sounding than the ATHs and Shures, but cheaper and maybe the most neutral of the bunch.

One thing that's worth mentioning, you obviously haven't heard balanced armature based IEMs yet and should know that they sound slightly different from dynamic drivers, especially in bass and overall timbre. Since 4 out of 5 IEMs from your shortlist are based on BAs, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a better approach to try a pair of excellent bang/buck mid-class BA IEMs like the PFE112/122 first. This wouldn't cost much and take you 80-90% of the way from your EX71s to the very top. Plus, you could try if the BA sound is for you, without risking too much money. Just a thought, but maybe worth considering.

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
No problem, I've been content with cheap and rather cappy Sonys for most part of my life :wink: But going by the A900, which strike me as a better reference, you'd like rather neutral phones with good mids. The CK100 fit that bill, as well as the Shures, the others I haven't heard. I also think the Ortofon e-Q7 would be a good choice, not as much mid forward and also a bit leaner sounding than the ATHs and Shures, but cheaper and maybe the most neutral of the bunch.

One thing that's worth mentioning, you obviously haven't heard balanced armature based IEMs yet and should know that they sound slightly different from dynamic drivers, especially in bass and overall timbre. Since 4 out of 5 IEMs from your shortlist are based on BAs, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a better approach to try a pair of excellent bang/buck mid-class BA IEMs like the PFE112/122 first. This wouldn't cost much and take you 80-90% of the way from your EX71s to the very top. Plus, you could try if the BA sound is for you, without risking too much money. Just a thought, but maybe worth considering.

You're correct, I don't have that much experience with balanced armatures, I've tried the 530 and liked it but can't say if that was good or not in the balanced world.

I found the UM3X with removable cable for $300, so I went ahead and ordered them. My idea now is to complement them with a smaller pair for the situation when the UM3X is a bit to much, if it ever will be, that is...

Thanks for all the great advice I really appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back