I keep odd hours when my wife is out of town!
Jul 21, 2009 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Well, it's 11:45 PM, and I've got to get up in about 5 1/2 hours. Am I going to sleep? NOOOO!!

I live this wierd sort of hermit life when my wife is out of town. I stay up late...often VERY late (3:00 AM last night). I sleep on the couch. I listen to music, while watching a movie with the volume turned down, while reading. I sleep in until the very last minute, and then scramble around the house to get out in time.

My kids must figure that dad doesn't know the routine like mom, as they do all that they can to help. My son even makes his bed when mom is gone...he relies on her to do that when she's home. Must be for some sense of normalcy.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know why I'm like this, but it's always been this way. Anyone else like this?

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 25
I do, but I've not yet perfected it.
eek.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 25
I do it every night, as my wife goes to sleep at 11 and I am up to 1-2a. My quiet time, headphones, poker on the tube, HF, whatever I want. Nice. Still up at 7 or so every day, sometimes 8 (work at home, which is cheating, I guess).

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by FirebottleRon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me 2. Do you guys wait till she is about 1 hour out from getting home and then start to clean the house? I have perfected it.

Oh that is funny, guess we're all the same in that way. And you know the old wives trick, if things are okay and they are happy then they feel more "open".

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 25
That's not too bad, at least not in contrasts with my sleeping schedule ~ if you can even call it that. I work for myself and therefore make my own hours, I tell myself I think better at night and thus end up staying up all night. Then when it starts to get light I feel tired, put a movie on and fall asleep to that. Last night however I didn't get tired when the sun came up, ended up going to bed about 2pm this afternoon and woke up 3 hours later... I'm still not yet tired.

Maybe we need the body clock upgrade!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 25
Yep, same practice here. Last time she took the kiddos with her
eek.gif
It was all out collegiate jackassery. I think i slept about 8 hours total the 4 days she was gone. Spent the last 2 hours before her arrival attempted to remove the signs of our home being invaded by a coked out 19 year old. She did her best not to notice i hadn't shaved/showered/slept.

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 25
My friends have gone completely nocturnal for the summer. One goes to sleep at 11 am, and wakes at 9 pm. Perfect schedule, only flipped.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it's 11:45 PM, and I've got to get up in about 5 1/2 hours. Am I going to sleep? NOOOO!!

I live this wierd sort of hermit life when my wife is out of town. I stay up late...often VERY late (3:00 AM last night). I sleep on the couch. I listen to music, while watching a movie with the volume turned down, while reading. I sleep in until the very last minute, and then scramble around the house to get out in time.

My kids must figure that dad doesn't know the routine like mom, as they do all that they can to help. My son even makes his bed when mom is gone...he relies on her to do that when she's home. Must be for some sense of normalcy.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know why I'm like this, but it's always been this way. Anyone else like this?

I've always been like that (hence my user name). For me it's actually biological. I'm part of the 10% of the world's population whose clock is reversed. Left to my own devices I've always slept during the day and stayed up all night (vampire maybe?). In order to have a normal social life and stay married, I've had to adjust to the other 90% of the world. Apparently a high percentage of those who like working the graveyard shift are the same way.

Another reason suggested by my psychologist ex-wife is that it satisfies a temporary need for your own space and a change from your routine. It can be like a mini-vacation and a break from your daily responsibilities. Especially without your wife/partner around. Your partner, even if she doesn't nag and is very loving, can be a visual "conscience". Late night is a great time for a personal time. No phone calls. No demands. No interruptions. Peaceful outside. Everyone else asleep and you can do what you want till the sun comes up. It can be addictive. Even though you know it will be hard getting up in the morning it's difficult to give up your time.

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 25
I'm in the process of reversing it at the moment. I've got to start working at 5 a.m. next Saturday morning. And so far I've been going to bed at that time or later. I think it might have to do with what NightOwl mentioned. It's quit at night. No people bothering you, just being by yourself doing the thing you like to do.

Reversing the process is darn hard though, I tried getting up at 8 a.m. this morning and I fell asleep in a chair again...

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #13 of 25
Sounds partly familiar indeed!
I do not have a wife. But it is basically what happens when I have a longer time off work, vacations and like. A week into my summer vacation I ended up sleeping until 10am, and not go to bed until 2-3am. Now into my 4th week and it still is about the same. Will be hard to break out of bet 6:30am this upcoming Monday...
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #14 of 25
I am a complete owl too. Can't function during the daytime, well I can but I hate it. And I do think its biological because even when I worked under-ground for awhile (my studio was a dark place) I felt different during daytime. Anyway's being awake at night just rocks
smily_headphones1.gif

And yes it would be possible to give it up but I Don't Want to
smily_headphones1.gif

Rightnow it's 3.34pm and I just woke up an hour ago, did some exercise and now there is going to be a time for my morning tea and then ill work and watch movies till 6am. After that I go into hybernation/slumber till 4-10hrs and the cycle repeats itself.

The your time idea is also correct and I support it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back