I just registered for a motorcycle course. Advice, anyone?
Dec 12, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #31 of 39
Been trying to get my motorcyce permit for the last month now.Immigration services is being a bitch about it for some reason..numbers not matching up or some BS.

Too far cold to ride anyways..however not having a permit hasn't stopped me from riding
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #32 of 39
First, thanks guys for the long and thoughtful responses! I really appreciate everything you wrote and will have to go back and read them all another time or two.

The MSF class went great and I passed. So did everyone else in the class, which was terrific.

I spent last Sunday after the class at the LA Motorcycle Expo in Long Beach. I managed to find good deals on the rest of the riding gear I needed. I've picked up an armored leather jacket and pants, gauntlet style gloves, mid-calf riding boots, and a full-face DOT/Snell 2005 helmet.

The next time I can get into the DMV is on 12/29 and I'm already getting passing marks on the simulated written exams, but will keep at them until I get 100%, just like I did on the driving test a few years back.

I don't quite have a bike yet, but it looks like I can pick up a 1984 Nighthawk in nice shape for $700 out in Phoenix. A very good friend and I are going to go through it. My friend is one of those types who can fix anything (including the nuclear reactor on the submarine he served on) and I'm fair with a wrench. Plans are to tear through it over two or three days, replace all the consumables/service items and anything else that turns up. The bike is in good cosmetic shape (don't think it's ever been dropped), so it should be a good ride.

Yes, I am taking safety seriously. A lot of new riders wreck in the first six months, so I'll stay out of traffic until June or July. There are big, lighted and open parking lots about two miles away, so evenings and weekends will be spent over there getting a feel. There are dead quiet residential streets nearby that should be safe, too.

I took much the same approach to driving. I got a learner's permit a few months before I turned 16 and kept it for almost 11 months. After getting a driver's license, I stayed off the LA freeways for about a year. Not to be arrogant, but I've got probably 250k miles in LA and can read traffic and head off danger in the car. I've also put about 200k miles on clutches, so shifting and clutch handling aren't a big worry.

So I'm going to take it slow for the next six months and always go out in full gear. I don't need to commute or depend on the bike for transportation, so there's no pressure and I'll pick up the skills along the way.

Plans are to take the advanced MSF class when I feel ready for it and then to move on to the programs at a couple of nearby tracks. I figure it'll be a year before I commute or spend much time on a bike as opposed to the car.

One thing I am hoping to be ready for next summer or early fall is a cruise on the Natchez Trace. I drove it in 2006 and had an incredible time - I think it would be an even better ride.

For those not familiar, the Natchez Trace is a US National Park that picks up a few miles below Nashville, TN, cuts through a corner of Alabama, then heads diagonally across Mississippi and ends in Natchez, MS. Roughly 450 miles long, there's no commercial development, no stop signs, no lights, and is limited to 50 MPH. It's absolutely beautiful and has something like 200 historical sites along the way. Everything from Native burial mounds to Civil War battlefields to Elvis' birthplace. In a car, it was about the most relaxing drive I've ever had. No worries about other cars, mostly flat and gentle curves. It's like driving through a golf course or park. So I think that would be a relaxing, beautiful trip and a good "first" for a road trip. There are a couple places in Nashville that rent cruisers, so that will be my reward for practicing a lot and getting my chops over the next several months.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #33 of 39
Erik, only advice I have is wear a helmet.

Oh , and check your PM's!

Dec 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #34 of 39
I learned to ride when I was 14, the biggest thing you need to remember is that you cannot depend on other cars to spot you. You NEED to make sure that they can see you, there is nothing more terrifying than riding on a highway at night and almost being run into a barrier because Johnny Cage Driver "couldn't see you, man". My number one advice: no matter how stupid you think you'll look, always keep your safety in mind. Even if it means wearing a reflective jacket.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #35 of 39
I only have 2 pieces of advice: don't fall over, and don't get pregnant. I was what ended my mom's motorcycle riding days!

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #36 of 39
Uncle Erik, how tall are you? A Sportster isn't considered by many to be a 'newb' bike. Maybe a second bike, but not a starter.

If you're looking at cruisers specifically, a Vulcan 500 is a really nice bike. Sportbike engine inside a cruiser. You won't get bored of it after one season. Ideally, people start on 250cc bikes, but for many tall guys, it's a tiny, cramped ride.

beginnerbikers.org is a GREAT website and one that my partner and I frequent. Lots of good info there.

ATGAAT = all the gear, all the time! I wear a full-face helmet because ideally, it's safer if I ever get into a crash. I wear a leather jacket, helmet, gloves, riding pants and boots. I cannot stress wear enough gear. It's a must.

You are already aware of the stats regarding alcohol and riding. It's a no-no. Too many accidents prove this is a deadly combo.

I always wanted a bike since I was a kid...and now I have a 2009 Triumph Bonneville. It's the best thing I ever did for myself. It's a lot of fun! Just be careful, watch out for others and enjoy yourself!

Edited to add: saw your recent post; a Nighthawk is considered by many to be an awesome starter bike! Congrats on the bike and passing the course! WOOHOO!

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #37 of 39
It doesn't really matter how tall a rider is - the Sportster is just such a cheap pile of American bolts cobbled together in a very expensive package and marketed under a brand name for those in a mid-life crisis. For its 800cc it is a very heavy and unwieldy bike compared to its competition and although it offers an upright seating position, is not as manoeuvrable.

In England, a helmet is compulsory (thank goodness) and full-face helmets are definitely better. 30's somethings coming to motorcycle riding are generally more cautious than the 18's or 40's somethings - it's very clear from Erik's questions and line of thinking that he has covered safety issues and balanced up the risks of riding, so in that respect, Erik is an ideal newcomer to bike riding.

The MSF course is rather basic and doesn't cover all the hazards of road riding: the greatest challenge facing any street rider, is developing the skill of 'anticipation', so that he can observe potential hazards and thus avoid them early, rather than finding himself in hazardous situations and forced to act late, potentially in a dangerous manoeuvre. Some of this comes from riding out with (sensible) friends as well as taking an advanced training course. I've always ridden to commute during rush hour, and this is a terrible risk: Erik's sensible planning for riding in safe conditions (and weather) is an ideal way to start.

Being a sports rider the only thing I'd have reservations about is his awful taste for a Hardley Able
duggehsmile.png

The Moto Guzzis make some fantastic shaft driven bikes (easier maintenance for newcomers). Equally, the Valkyrie and similar bikes to the Nighthawk are fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #38 of 39
Sure looks like you have some nice progress!
smile.gif

MSF class taken and passed, and you also seem to have you eyes on a specific bike.

I do not know the Honda Nighthawk at all, but I am sure it would make a nice starter bike. 700cc is fast enough, without scaring the **** out of you. Price sounds fair as well.
Happy riding!

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #39 of 39
ride safe and congratulations.
I too spent the thanksgiving holiday riding. It was fun doing it again not as a youngster but a middle aged guy.
My bro has a kawasaki vulcan 1500 nomad and it rode great. we are not cruiser guys but it was a lot of fun. and, I'm a lil guy and I felt safe and in control.
I suggest you look into finding one of these if you decide to stick to riding.
he found his locally through a vulcan owners group and it was a bargain.
1999 model he got in purple metallic and lots of aftermarket chrome for 2K 4 yrs ago.
he even gave him the orig parts that were replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back