I just ordered some HD650s
Dec 19, 2008 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Hayduke

1000+ Head-Fier
J&R has them for $319.99 with free shipping!

Pretty spankin' deal if you ask me
wink_face.gif

Too bad shipping is always slow this time of year. With all the holidays, I probably won't get them until the 29th or 30th
frown.gif

Gonna be the longest 10 days ever!

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 37
You'll love them. Now its time to buy an amp! ...and a source, and interconnects, and an upgraded headphone cable, and

sorry about your wallet

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 37
I have 580s and I love the Sennheiser sound. I went back and forth thinking about trying something else, but I went with the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the great deal and thanks for posting it here for everyone.

What are you planning to amp them with?

For now, I'll use this:
Post pics of your builds.... - Page 388 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

There are more amps in the build queue though. Right now I can't decide between the SOHA II or the Millet Max next. I suspect I'll end up building both eventually
smily_headphones1.gif

Currently I have been transporting my 580s and the MHSS back and forth to work. Now I can leave the 580s at work (things don't get stolen here lucky for me). I'll have to cart the amp back and forth for now, but mine is pretty small, and I have 2 power supplies already so I only have to move the amp.

I'm pretty excited to hear 650s. They offered 2 day air for only $15, but I'm a pretty cheap :p I've never paid for that fancy shipping. Besides, it would have spoiled the incredible deal! I'm still amazed that I got brand new 650s for $319.99 total including shipping.

I knew about the deal for about a month now, but I was hesitant (see above about being cheap). I got a bonus at work today, so that finally pushed me into it
tongue.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 37
Congratulations with the nice deal and the purchase!
smile.gif

Hopefully they arrive this year...

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 37
I thought from everything I've read and user reviews, there is no significant difference between the HD580 and HD650 when amped... especially if you upgrade the HD580's to HD650 cable and HD600 grills?

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 37
LOL krmathis

me too
tongue.gif

It will be close, but I think I'll have them this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought from everything I've read and user reviews, there is no significant difference between the HD580 and HD650 when amped... especially if you upgrade the HD580's to HD650 cable and HD600 grills?

My 580s have 600 grills, but still have the stock cable. I don't think the rest of my hardware is good enough (yet?) to hear the difference a cable would make.

My understanding is that the difference between 580s and 600s are just the grills and cables, but that the 650 drivers are a little different. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I've always had. I just can't recall where I read that exactly (I'm sure it was here somewhere).

Yes, the 650s aren't a big change from 580s probably, but I'm optimistic I'll hear a difference. Besides, my main goal was to have nice phones to leave at work all the time. I used to leave my 580s here all the time, so I'm not worried they will walk away. The problem was I didn't have them at home. Lately I've been listening to music a lot more at home too. I love my 580's, but they aren't made anymore. I'm concerned about transporting them back and forth causing too much wear and tear. I want them to last a long long time. While I'm not real concerned about theft, I might start locking my 580s in a drawer at work once I start leaving them again. Lately I've become very protective of them as they are now somewhat irreplaceable.

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 37
I got mine for J&R a few weeks ago for that price plus the Microsoft cashback. I'm glad they were that cheap because so far I'm pretty disappointed with them compared to my Grados.

No doubt the Sennheisers will cost me a lot more (I'm already planning a solid state amp purchase because they are just too damn dark with my tube amp). There are things I like about the 650s, but for the most part I'm not a giant fan so far. I'm wishing that I pulled the trigger on AKG 702s instead, but oh well.

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by hypoicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine for J&R a few weeks ago for that price plus the Microsoft cashback. I'm glad they were that cheap because so far I'm pretty disappointed with them compared to my Grados.

No doubt the Sennheisers will cost me a lot more (I'm already planning a solid state amp purchase because they are just too damn dark with my tube amp). There are things I like about the 650s, but for the most part I'm not a giant fan so far. I'm wishing that I pulled the trigger on AKG 702s instead, but oh well.

darn, how do you use the cash back? I coulda got them cheaper?
frown.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 37
hmm I tried that live.com search thing, and it showed 7%. I'm gonna call J&R in the AM and cancel and reorder it with the Microsoft cash back
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
darn, how do you use the cash back? I coulda got them cheaper?
frown.gif

Hey don't feel bad. I got mine for $329 w/ free shipping from JR about a year ago and I thought that was a bangin' deal.

I put them head to head against the AKG K701, and Grado SR325i, arguably the SR325i isn't in the same league but whatever. I found the HD650's to be the best to my ears.

Enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back