I just had my wisdom teeth removed
Dec 22, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #35 of 64
I don't think so...but sucking, spitting, and smoking might...also, no rinsing until at least a day after the surgery. That's what I've been told, at least.

as for dry socket...what is that anyway?

Dec 22, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #37 of 64
If you are in a lot of pain and the oxycodone isn't helping, ask for some oxycontin. That stuff is 437 x's better. Makes you feel incredible! But, can be very very addictive (Rush!).

As for the bleeding, was that one impacted in bone?

Dec 22, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #39 of 64
It will stop. You may have to rest your eyes while sitting up in a chair for a while.

If you can access the bleeding area with a rag, put some very cold water on it and ice the rag for a bit. Then place the very cold rag on the bleeding area, remove it and re-ice it and put it on there some more. This may help it stop bleeding.

Tell your platelets to get to work!

Dec 22, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #40 of 64
Try to relax. So many of us have been through this and have survived. It is, after all, surgery and there's bound to be some discomfort.

My wisdom teeth, 3 of them, came out after I was 50. I did have dry sockets and had to go back to the oral surgeon a couple of times to have have a medicated pad, oil of cloves, placed in the socket.

Just had some grafting of tissue from the roof of my mouth to prop up my receding gums. Wanta save my teeth for another 20 years or so if at all possible! Again, some bleeding for 24 hours, some pain, discomfort while eating for 3 weeks, but I've healed and I'm fine, and this is at age 65.

Joelk

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #41 of 64
My oral surgeon had me gently clentch a moist tea bag in the bleeding socket when one of mine kept bleeding. It eventually worked.

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #42 of 64
All 4 pulled out at once, just with Novocaine or whatever he shot up into my gums .. by the time he got to the last tooth the stuff had worn off and he went to yank and OWWWWWWWW ...

dentist : " you feel that? "
me : *looks at dentist with utter disgust*
dentist : " sorry "

Gave me another shot and it was all over. Gums bled for 3-4 hours, was eating normal foods the next day. The food getting caught in the holes was an annoyance though.

Don't smoke or drink through a straw and you should be ok ..

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #43 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtkversion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The food getting caught in the holes was an annoyance though.

Hated this part. Disgusting food rot stuck in mouth holes.
blink.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #45 of 64
I had mine out at the end of the summer. The laughing gas made me nauseous, so I just went with lots of oral anesthetics. Surgery itself wasn't painful, although I did feel the pain after a few hours. The bleeding also didn't stop for HOURS and bloody gauze made me feel even worse. I wasn't bedridden from the pain, but I couldn't eat real food for nearly a week.
As for you Mtk, how did you handle that pain with the anesthetics wearing off? I could feel the force of the dentist yanking the last tooth out in the surrounding area and I think I'd die if the pain killers weren't in effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back