I just had an out of body experience (W3s)
Apr 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ericschmerick

New Head-Fier
OK I posted earlier today for the first time on this forum regarding my dislike of the UE700s I bought a recently. Got some good advice from some kind folks, and I went down to Jaben in Singapore (at the Adelphi) to audition some better IEMs.

I'm not an audiophile, and until a month ago I've never spent more than S$100 or so on a pair of phones. I decided to get something "better", and wound up making a mistake buying the UE700s (not enough bass for me). But I'm on a flight tomorrow, and I just wanted to pull the trigger and get something that really suited my tastes.

So, let me just say that I just had the kind of "out of body" experience I was originally expecting to have when I first listened to the UE700s. I auditioned the IE8s, SE530s, W3s, TF10s, and a few others in that range. The W3s BLEW ME AWAY. I have a feeling some might think they are a little too "bassy", but they are just what I like. Of the four I just listed, they have the most bass. I tried one other (a dynamic) that was too bassy - really "boomy". Note: I'm going to sound like an idiot here, because I don't know how to express myself in proper terms.

Anyway, here's the part that blew me away. They let me audition a few headphone amps. Literally, I sat there and laughed out loud a couple of times because I was hearing layers of music that I had never heard before - music INSIDE the music I've been listening to before - pouring into my brain. I don't know how to explain it, it was like there was a part of my songs that just opened up and was freed, and suddenly it surged out unimpeded by inferior electronics. Unbelievable.

So, I learned a couple of things:

1. If you're really looking at high-end IEMs and hoping to be blown away, never, EVER, buy a set of headphones without auditioning them. I made the mistake before of thinking that if IEMs get good reviews, then they'd all be at the same level of goodness. That good=good, for everyone. But there is a HUGE difference in the way each of the IEMs sounded to me today, and I am by no means an expert. So I now know that even a casual person with a basic appreciation of sound quality will have vastly different reactions to "good" IEMs. I can see how all of these phones could be called "fantastic" in one way or another, but they were all very different. There is also the physical fit issue - each IEM I tried today fit me in different ways.

2. Amplification adds another layer of quality. I would not have believed it, but literally I almost fell on the floor when I listened to the W3s through an amp. There's one part in "I've got a feeling" at around 3:30 where the music just "pushes" out a little bit. I never noticed it before, but on the amp it came through like a wave. I went back to the unamped phones, and it was there, but felt like it was "covered up" somehow. Also, at the beginning of that some there's a very "stabbing" synth beat that comes through much more staccato through the amp. I'm suddenly a believer. Note also, I tried 4 amps, and they all had different characteristics as well. You need to listen to stuff to make a decision you'll really be happy with.

In the end, I didn't buy the amp. Wanted to, but I just can't carry around another little piece of gear. The quality boost is there, but the reality is that most of the time I'd leave it in the bag or at home because I just don't want to hassle. I guess that's the non-audiophile in me coming out.

Thanks to this website! Man am I a happy camper.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericschmerick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to this website! Man am I a happy camper.

[Musical tones] And that's what it's all about! *claps hands*[/musical tones]
In the end it doesn't matter how much you spend, its about how much you enjoy the music, and arguably your gear, which in turn effects the music.
Moral of the post? Enjoy the music... I'm glad your happy.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 19
thats great man.
smily_headphones1.gif
unfortunately auditioning earphones or headphones before I buy isnt really an option for me so I have to go with what the reviews say.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 19
ericschmerick, congrats to you mate. I like how you aren't circumscribed to the various audiophile lexicons but find new ways to express what you hear. May the W3 continue to deliver those "out of body experiences" haha.

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 19
I love my W3's especially when paired up with my P-51 Amp. I'm a Bass-head but like it tight and controlled not boomy.

The Synergy for lack of a better term between the W3's and the P-51 is incredible.....
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramintop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats great man.
smily_headphones1.gif
unfortunately auditioning earphones or headphones before I buy isnt really an option for me so I have to go with what the reviews say.

Thx.

Yeah actually I guess it's important then to really know what you like (i.e. very neutral sound or maybe heavy on the bass or whatever), and then pay lots of attention that in the reviews. Also, my impression is that this website is super-helpful in answering questions. Good luck!

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

There's one part in "I've got a feeling" at around 3:30 where the music just "pushes" out a little bit.

I was reading contentedly up to this point, nodding in agreement ... and then a little part of me died inside.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 19
Unfortunately it's hard to audition stuff where I am unless I know someone else who has a pair I'm interested in. That being said all the phones I have ever purchases before and after joining head-fi have never been bought before trying it out. I trust some reviews more than others since their preferences are more align with mine so that's what I have to do when I buy something.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was reading contentedly up to this point, nodding in agreement ... and then a little part of me died inside.

smily_headphones1.gif
I presume the guy at the very audiophilish store did too. What can I say, I'm a simple but happy guy.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
I presume the guy at the very audiophilish store did too. What can I say, I'm a simple but happy guy.
bigsmile_face.gif

I don't think that means your simple... just everyone has different musical tastes. I think you will find that your new W3's will shine even more with acoustic rock/new age/and rock in general. Very fun..comfy and imho all around great Iem...especially for the type of music that I listen to most. Enjoy them! Also...count your blessings that you can audition things like this..as others stated, that is not an option for me living where I live. Fortunately... I can get a good resale here most of the time if it's not my cup of tea.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 19
Congrats! They sound great with custom UM56 tips. For me, they bring the mids forward, tighten up the bass, and there is no hint of sibilance. Great synergy with the Sony X and Samsung P3.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #14 of 19
Yep, I'm really happy with my UE700s too.. sound signature's a bit brighter than my TF10 (off to become TF18s), but loving the surprising amount of detail and clarity from such small monitors.

I didn't quite take the W3, found the soundstaging and instrument separation far inferior to the TF10, which, quite similarly, left me sitting at the same shop with a giant grin on my face as I suddenly heard whole new dimensions to Maroon 5's 'Tangled' and Nine Inch Nails' 'Just Like You Imagined'.

I hope you remain satisfied with the W3s... the key to that is not trying Jaben's universal demo sets of the JH series lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back