I just got the Head Direct RE2s. Oops, sorry, HIFIMAN RE2. And I'm dissapointed with the build quality.
Jun 19, 2009 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
I ordered my RE2s directly from the website on Wednesday, and it came in my mailbox today. Shipped from Flushing, and arrived in Manhattan today. I cannot fail to mention the interesting label on the envelope: "FRAGLE RE2".

When I opened the package, I was very surprised. Apparently, the RE2s have been re-branded "Hifiman", since Head Direct is in the middle of changing all their inhouse brands to HIFIMAN in preparation for their new DAP. I have no problems with that. However, when I took out the phones out of the box, there was something that was immediately noticeable. The quality drop.

The Box:

Not what I'd expect, but pretty nice nonetheless. It is important to mention that a pair of white bi-flanges where placed on the back of the box, in addition to the black small/medium/large that come standard. Then I take them out, and immediately notice a difference from the early "review" models. First, the cable quality is just not what I am used to(I don't know if this is bad or not), as it feels and looks like the material used on a shoelace. Comparing to the early models, it does not seem like they had the problem. Also, there is absolutely, no metal part, as it is completely plastic. There is also no indication of the HEADDIRECT/HIFIMAN/RE2, anywhere.
ClieOS' Version:
DSCF0030_resize.jpg

My Version:
img1854u.jpg

ClieOS':
DSCF0023_resize.jpg

Mine:
img1852z.jpg

Preview versions are nice plastic. Current versions are shoelace like. Is it a good change? I don't quite know, but I don't really like it.

As for the sound quality, first impressions allow me to say that it is quite clear and detailed, allowing me to decipher the layers of instruments unlike any other equipment I've had. I cannot say much, since it is still in the process of burn-in.(Should I put it max volume, or normal listening volumes?)

I do like the white bi-flanges though:
img1855nof.jpg

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 31
Thanks for posting these pics even before Head-Direct. The package, although it doesn't have that "hand-made" touch of the old case, looks very professional, like something that would not seem out-of-place on store shelves.

Interesting that they tweaked the design of the cable once again. Even though I'm not a fan of cloth-covered cables, the addition of the slider is a nice touch, and I doubt the microphonics could get any worse than my pair.

Hope you enjoy the phones!

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 31
I think the change was probably in response to many people's complaint on the previous hard and microphonic wires.

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting these pics even before Head-Direct. The package, although it doesn't have that "hand-made" touch of the old case, looks very professional, like something that would not seem out-of-place on store shelves.

Interesting that they tweaked the design of the cable once again. Even though I'm not a fan of cloth-covered cables, the addition of the slider is a nice touch, and I doubt the microphonics could get any worse than my pair.

Hope you enjoy the phones!

Wait, so the actual production models didn't come with a slider? I forgot to mention that Head Direct decided to include 10 replacement filters, and a clip, i guess to improve microphonics.

As I try the different flanges, it find it very difficult to put them on the head of the phones, since the head of the phone is larger than the flanges. Is there a special way to do it?

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 31
Well, my version (the second revision I believe) doesn't come with the slider. Mine did come with the filters and the shirt clip.

As for the tips, I do find the large bi-flanges to be difficult to put on, especially since the hole on them seems quite a bit smaller than the bore of the sound tube. It does take some work, but I eventually get them on after turning the flanges inside-out and slowly but firmly slipping them on.

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the change was probably in response to many people's complaint on the previous hard and microphonic wires.

And a cloth cable is supposed to fix that? It really seems like a drop in quality IMO.

The biflanges are actually very easy to put in, by the medium/large uniflanges are very difficult.

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 31
I see what you're talking about now with the single flanges. They're nearly impossible to put on! Fortunately, I really like the bi-flanges (both large and small), so I haven't really tried putting on the singles before today.

And trust me: You're really not missing much with the newer cable. The old cable is insanely stiff and tangles very easily, and I've never experienced a cord so microphonic.

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 31
I barely got my RE2s a little over a month ago and now they do this revision! the old cable is very microphonic, how about this new shoe lace style one?

Jun 20, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 31
The shoelace cable looks like an improvement to me, especially as the microphonics on the ones I have can be pretty bad. I'm planning on recabling mine and I even thought of using the outer of an actual shoelace to cover the wires to maybe improve microphonics
tongue.gif

The ones I have came with the metal slider and heaps of tips, but no shirt clip.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 31
I bought my RE2's about 2 months ago, and mine is probably the ones with the old cable. Microphonics is a problem for me as well, however I actually wear the RE2's in the over-the-ear configuration like you would on most other IEMs, which significantly reduces the microphonics for me. Coupled with the provided shirt clip, I practically dont get much microphonics at all. Maybe you can try it to see if it works for you as well.

However, I will also be the one to complain about the build quality. I just sent mine back for warranty replacement because the wire broke off from the connecting 3.5mm jack under normal use after about 45 days of usage. So if i were you I would treat it with care.

But then again, its 39 bucks for a very nice detailed sounding IEM. :p

Jun 20, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 31
So it is just the cable that's changed? The actual part where you listen to hasn't changed, and the sound is still good? The cable looks good to me...

On an unrelated note (sorry for asking about this, seemingly with every pair of earphones), can you sleep sideways with these on? As in your ear is against the pillow?

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbird /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And a cloth cable is supposed to fix that? It really seems like a drop in quality IMO.

maybe it's not as aesthetically pleasing but it's an improvement in quality(microphonics) if anything..

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it is just the cable that's changed? The actual part where you listen to hasn't changed, and the sound is still good? The cable looks good to me...

On an unrelated note (sorry for asking about this, seemingly with every pair of earphones), can you sleep sideways with these on? As in your ear is against the pillow?

They sound quite good, I don't know how they compare to the old model because I don't own an older version. I don't think this is a phone that you can sleep with, because it does stick out significantly.

Although I don't really like the look of the cloth cable, I do have to say that it probably costs more for HeadDirect to make such a cable, and I do have to admit that it is more durable than any plastic cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back