I just got the Head Direct RE2s. Oops, sorry, HIFIMAN RE2. And I'm dissapointed with the build quality.
Jun 21, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #16 of 31
This makes me appreciate my "old" box all the more, but the cable really looks a lot nicer than mine!

EDIT: I also payed, if I recall correctly, $80 for these 'phones when they were new. So you are the victor.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #17 of 31
I didn't read any1 posts but the 1st.

I also ordered these. I think the new threaded cable casing is a good move. PC peripheral hardware have been using them for some time now over the regular plastic cables. It helps prevent snagging on corners or objects like the plastic cords do. Plus they are more flexible this way.

Although, I wish I got the old package case
frown.gif
. I emailed them and got back they just changed the packaging the week before
frown.gif
. So I missed it by one week, my luck. But, hey I got these good IEM for $50 plus a free Fiio E5. Not gonna complain, it was a good deal nonetheless.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #18 of 31
if the new cable is indeed that nylon 'shoelace' sleeve, then it is a bad step. i have the zagg z-buds which use that same sort of sleeving and they are the worst microphonic cables i have used. the sleeving contorts the cable at strange angles and where the old cable would slide on clothing for only a little bit of microphonics, the zagg style have more friction and cause much larger headaches.

i have the re2 and the cable looks like a mix of clie and the ops: smooth, but the split looks like the ops. no metal parts. but no shoelace. microphonic, but hardly as bad as the zagg buds.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #21 of 31
I bought my RE2 a little over a month ago and I have the previous version with the pleather watch case. I would think that the new cable would help with microphonics. My cable was the old hard one, no metal sleeves, just plastic but it did come with a plastic slider, a plastic shirt clip, filters and various tips. I am thinking of buying this new version, I think I can afford $39.
ksc75smile.gif

Was this change only for the RE2? Do the RE1 and RE0 still come with the old box and old style cords?

Jul 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #22 of 31
So what did find about microphonics with the new cabling? I want Re2 for their superior qs but if the microphonics are too annoying,no thanks! More than the sony ex85 and cx300 ii?

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #24 of 31
my RE0 driver broke in 2 weeks, no i have to send them back for warranty. the quality is seriously bad, and i will ask for refund of the next RE0 I received have the same problem!

Jul 30, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #26 of 31
Just received these today. I will say that I really like the shoe-lace cable. Microphonics while walking around are minimal, and that's without the shirt-clip and without wearing them over-ear. Minimal is, of course, relative. For reference, my only other pair of IEMs was Denon C700, and I was very sensitive to their microphonics.

I'm not sure if OP mentioned this, but I believe they include less tips now. I recieved three (black) single flange silicone pairs and one (clear) bi-flange pair. If I am not mistaken, the RE2 originally came with four pairs of bi-flange. What I am trying to figure out is the size of the clear bi-flange that came with my RE2. Originally, the clear bi-flanges were the large ones, right? So I'm wondering if they just bundled one large bi-flange or one medium bi-flange.

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #27 of 31
Personally if I'm moving around about I put them overear, which helps with microphonics.

As far is I know it only ever came with 2 pair of biflange.
The large is still clear, the medium was white originally tough.
Sorry that you only got 1 biflange, they should deal with QC stuff like that though if you give them a call.
I got mine from ebay because of free shipping.
I received it exactly as this pic but a 10pack of filters.
http://www.head-direct.com/upload/20...95643RE0-3.jpg
The way you can tell if you got the large biflange is see how much farther away from the rim the inside part which connects to the earpeace is on the larger ones.
Also the med-size ones snap on quite easily to the earpeace due to the hole being larger.
But I only use med size single flange because its more comfortable than double and seal is good enough.

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #28 of 31
I bought a pair of RE2,it just departed Hong Kong and I don't know how much time they will take to arrive here in Beirut,I hope tomorrow!
logically it should be: Hong Kong(this morning) -- Bahrain(this evening) -- Beirut (next day morning)
It took 2.5 days already to take off from China

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #29 of 31
I ordered mine on Monday. I live in Wisconsin, so I have no idea how long it will take.

When I do receive them, I will give my initial impressions as a n00b to iems. It will also be interesting to compare what experienced audiophiles know to be good sq in a headphone.

Right now I have a pair on Sennheiser PC350s. Which are simply the PC w/ mic. verson of the PXC 350. I have had these over a year now, and wear them daily. I love the comfort and sound. But will finally have something to compare them to. I use PC as source, w/ only a Home theater sound card: the Auzentech X-Plosion, which has a built in DAC.

I primarily bought them for their main purpose, gaming. However, I do listen to last.fm while I am surfing, etc. People may laugh, but I actually think they sound good.

Which is what has sparked my interest in headphones, iems in the first place.
smily_headphones1.gif

Blessings,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back