I just got the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x and I'm disappointed
Dec 13, 2015 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Hertzio

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've never owned a "good" pair of headphones before, I was using the Sony ZX310-AP some sort of 20 dollars headphones. I was wanting a good pair of headphones a long time ago, I was even about to buy the Beats Solo HD back in those days so you can imagine for how long I've waiting for this to happen. All I got was information that I read in this forum, and reviews in Youtube, I don't have a store here in Colombia to try headphones out.

The M40x came the day before yesterday, I've heard opinions of a lot of "audiophiles" that this stacked up to headphones that are triple the price, so I was very excited and was expecting a lot, I was expecting something like a dream, and to be honest, I don't see why this are better than my cheap Sony in any way. I don't get the difference, yeah, the M40x are a bit louder, but I raise the volume 2 points more on the Sony and they sound exactly the same.

What? I don't know what to think, I just think I'm kinda sad right now, kinda disappointed, what was the point of all of this? :/

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 19

Sorry to hear that you don´t like them, I also got a pair of M40x after reading this forum and watching vids, but I love them!

I´m not an expert, but could it be because of your source? If you´re listening to crappy files in a regular player, you might not see the difference with the Sony. Try some 320 kbps mp3 or FLAC, and see if that works. You could always return them if you´re still not happy with them.

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 19
Thank you for you response, I just downloaded I Got U by Duke Dumont in flac format, and I'm playing it from my 13" MacBook Air. I don't know, I got trouble listening to the critical difference between the headphones, I think that the bass is more refined on the M40x and it doesn't bother me, while in the Sony I used to say that I hated bass because of this headphones, they're boomy, high and uncontrolled.
But that's about it, I think that the M40x would blow them away and is not the case :/

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 19

No idea then, perhaps the Sony were already great headphones 
biggrin.gif
 Do you still have the chance of returning them? You could ask for advice in the forum, find another pair that makes a difference for you.

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #5 of 19
I dont know what your hearing, but sorry, the m40x blow the zx 310 out of the water in every possible way. I would suggest listening, like really critical listening, with the m40x only for a while, maybe couple of days, maybe a week and then come back to the zx 310. The difference should punch you right in the face.

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 19
This happend to me with my grados sr80e kinda was like eh at first gave it some burn in and some time to listen and I was amazed with it couple days later

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 19
I have no experience with either of these headphones, but I also suggest you spend more time with them. Once you grow familiar with their sound, you may discern the ATH's virtues.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 19
Thank you all for your responses, maybe you're all right I got to give them some burn-in time! Because take a look at what I've just found in the forum:

9/13/15

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/8/81/100x100px-LS-81cc36ee_avatar-120-5.jpg[/img]
  1. tihor
  2. badge_junior.v1474213761.png
  4. offline
  1. 3 Posts. Joined 9/2015

I've got my m40x.Been using them for a month or so.But when I crank up the volume my ears seem to pain.Also I can't believe that this was the headphone that everyone hyped abt..

PS:- The Pads crunches my head out too

Edit:- woah after extensive listening and burning in this headphone sounds like a champ..best thing I've ever heard untill now..You'll be able to pickout the sounds easily and clearly and the build quality is also awesome.

The pads crunched my head at first but now it has toned down on the crunching..it feels OK now !!

Conclusion:- I'm really happy I bought this headphone !!
Edited by tihor - 10/15/15 at 7:17pm

Hope just came to me again! Time will tell.

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #11 of 19
I feel u man. My experience is with sony mdr 7506. Ive read a lot of reviews saying they are best headphone around $100 but when I listened to them I think my $30 sony mh1c sounds way better than them. I ended up selling it 2 days later.

Jan 3, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 19
I love my M40x. Different strokes...

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 19
I had the m40x. Sold them. I did not care for the sound. Off topic but I had THe Sennheiser HD 650. Sold them. I did not care for the sound. I mention the Senn's because many people put them on an alter and almost worship the sound. You can be disappointed with any headphone. It is not you. You are not crazy. You expect a certain level of audio and you did not get it. Peace, I'm out !!!

Jan 4, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 19
It happens. This is why I hate buying cans without a test drive. I don't think the 40s are too bad myself. I just purchased a pair of Denon ah-mm400. I was pumped. I thought for sure they would be outstanding. And it's not that they aren't, they're just not the right cans for me. We like what we like.

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #15 of 19
Sorry to revive this thread, but the 40's are indeed really disappointing. I tested them and the 50's at the shop and they sounded fine to me. I guessed they would sound much better in the quiet of my home but it's even worse. I compare them to my favorite headphones (Somic HM-463 which cost half the price) and they get destroyed in comfort, sound quality and fidelity.
I have actual 8" studio monitors with a pro-grade external sound card for reference so I know what a neutral perfect sound should sound like. The AT's seem to miss a whole range of frequencies and some that are muddied beyond recognition.

Audio Technica is overhyped junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back