I just got new headphones AKG 701s and I love them!
Sep 9, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #16 of 57
I'm happy that the OP is enjoying a pair of cans that have copped a bit of a flogging on Head-Fi of late, but I have to play Devil's Advocate amidst this love-in. I still havent read a single post that would make me lust after the 701s. Compared to similarly priced cans from Beyerdynamic, A-T and Grado, the 701s still strike me as being overly 'temperamental' :

- without the right source/amp, they will sound very poor indeed (same-same 601s)
- require extensive burn-in : whether its your ears or the drivers, that is a red flag for me from the get go, but I'm willing to concede that there is something to this claim after my time with the 601s
- unlike the K601, the headband on the 701 is uncomfortable
- we can talk about bass being 'deep', 'tight' etc, but any pair of cans that has less bass impact than the K601 simply doesnt suit my music.

For male vocal and acoustic performances, the AKGs are an excellent choice. I accept that I need to hear the 'right' set of cans from the 'right' combination of source+amp, but there are so many other options out there for those of us who aren't obsessed with the last ounce of detail.

For those who enjoy these cans, all of this will be irrelevant - you have nailed the magic combination and its all good. For those contemplating an 'upgrade', I urge you to look long and hard at the alternatives.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #17 of 57
im debating getting a pair of these, and your post is only making it harder not too
smily_headphones1.gif
good job OP

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #18 of 57
They are awesome phones indeed. I don't find them bright at all though, and they have great bass. The bass can have really good impact from the right recordings!!

Listen to the song called "Reprise" from the Nightmare Revisited ST and also the song "Ooogie Boogies Song" from the same album as well.

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #20 of 57
I got mine just a week ago and I've enjoyed them very much too. I particularly enjoy the sense of space they lend to the music; not to mention how comfortable they are. Just today I fell asleep while listening to Phillip Glass through them.

Now excuse me while I put them back on and listen to 'Kind Of Blue' for the upteenth time... tu turu turu turuuuuu paaaa pa....

cheers !

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #21 of 57
I was also puting off 701 due to the "horrible" description about the headband. But after reading the posts carefully (just like reading the scientific journal paper), I reach the conclusion that it may be exactly what I are looking for. And I turned out to be right.

First off, the headband is perfectly fine with me. I have no clue why others complain about it. The cups are as comfy as DT880 to me.

But K701/2 does requires good (not necessarily expensive) combo of DAC and AMP (at least in my experience). I have been very happy with the Caliente and V-DAC. (K702 + LD MK III did has problem of light bass though.) Now I am extremely happy with Stello H100 + PS Audio DL III and it has been my primary phone at this moment.

Not only the soundstage and image focusing are as good as, if not better than, DT880. The mid-high part of spectrum is presented with great clarity and contrast. The bass is (again) tight and solid although may not have same amount as DT880. But I don't feel any lesser satisfaction with K702 in bass domain.

K702 sounds so good to me that I am looking my next phone along the same direction.
atsmile.gif
I have not yet found (by reading) any phones comparable to it except HD800 and Stax (suggestions are certainly welcomed!)

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #22 of 57
I love mine, powered by my Onkyo A-9555 integrated amp. They are my favorite headphone, although not suitable for every situation. I played them out of my ipod nano just for laughs once. It was funny.

Congratulations OP.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love mine, powered by my Onkyo A-9555 integrated amp. They are my favorite headphone, although not suitable for every situation. I played them out of my ipod nano just for laughs once. It was funny.

Congratulations OP.

Poor nano...

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #24 of 57
When I heard the K701, they had a very neutral, detailed sound with incredible bass articulation and a solid midrange.... and a very wide soundstage with good imaging. I'd easily trade my HD650s in and get a K701 if I had to. Great dynamic headphones. Best of all, it's not a colored sound and (when powered by a killer amp/source/recording) is a lively headphone. A great alternative for people who think the 650s are a little on the warm side.

The K701 scales up as you upgrade your equipment, so it's definitely a keeper headphone. I liked its sound through a Wadia CD player and headroom blockhead (balanced recabled).

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I heard the K701, they had a very neutral, detailed sound with incredible bass articulation and a solid midrange.... and a very wide soundstage with good imaging. I'd easily trade my HD650s in and get a K701 if I had to. Great dynamic headphones. Best of all, it's not a colored sound and (when powered by a killer amp/source/recording) is a lively headphone. A great alternative for people who think the 650s are a little on the warm side.

The K701 scales up as you upgrade your equipment, so it's definitely a keeper headphone. I liked its sound through a Wadia CD player and headroom blockhead (balanced recabled).

Agree - but doesn't the HD650 also scale up very well?

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #26 of 57
DeusEx,

Yes, the HD650 does as well. I wasn't concerning myself with the 650 in paragraph / line 2. Just talking about the K701's scalability. Both cans scale equally well - if you like them and have ten thousand extra dollars floating around, putting that towards an amp or source would be money well spent.

I consider the 650 and K701 to be in the same class - the 650s are a little on the warm side, and the 701s are ever so slightly thin in the lower midrange but really neutral. I should spend more time with the K701s - I really like the AKG sound, but just find myself gravitating towards Sennheiser's offerings.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #28 of 57
I have not had any issues with the headband. Can´t even imagine what possible issue there could be with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #29 of 57
The K702 was my very first headphone, and I was hooked. Nothing else I've ever bought after that came close to recreating the pure beauty of music, and I've essentially sold off everything else. Try upping the bass EQ 7-9 decibels, and the K702 is quite a kicker.

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #30 of 57
I'm getting used to the headband on my 702's or it's getting broken in, as I'm not noticing it much anymore.

Seems some people still haven't gotten the memo, ie the one informing that people who don't like 701's and 702's are affected by S.D.D. (Shinola Differentiation Disorder). Relax. I kid. I kid.

These phones are a real groove-fest. Haha, I said "groove".
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back