I just got new headphones AKG 701s and I love them!
Sep 9, 2009 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

quikgp

100+ Head-Fier
So I bought a pair of AKG 701s off of a fellow Head-fier, and they came in the mail yesterday. I was anxious to try them, to see what they sounded like. I already had some pre-concieved ideas from what I've read on head-fi. I was expecting an overly bright and detailed sound, with little to no bass. I have a set of Shure SLC4's, and I was expecting them to sound very similar.

Since I'm the 2nd owner, the phones were already burnt it, meaning I could plug them in and listen right away. and let me tell you I was BLOWN AWAY. The phones were much better than I expected. Clear and detailed, spacious and airy, and very tight, controlled, deep and VERY present bass. To me, these headphones sound like they do a great job at trying to reproduce the music as its meant to be heard. Then again, I wondered if this would be the case because I love my Rega R1 bookshelf speakers which are very accurate speakers, but lots of people dislike them for being too bright and having no bass. I think part of this can come down to the system you are using. I'm running my Rega bookshelfs from a Rega planet 2000 to a Rega Brio 3 intergrated. When I first got the system I connected the Planet to the Brio with cheap interconnects, and I agree, the R1 speakers are way to bright and aggressive. I went out and bought a $100 pair of interconnects (Atlas MKII) and the bass is more than present now.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in my rig they had no bass at all,but i'm not sure they were burnt in enough...

Also depends on how much bass you're expecting and needing. AKG bass is lean (but oh so good!).

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 57
Thanks guys! Yah I love them and plan on enjoying them for a long time.

I guess the point of this thread was to say I don't think these phones deserve to be flamed as much as they are. They are good headphones, but not for everyone.

On a random tangent, I was shocked that my iPhone can power them. By no means do they sound as good from my iPhone as they do from my home rig, but it is possible

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by quikgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a random tangent, I was shocked that my iPhone can power them. By no means do they sound as good from my iPhone as they do from my home rig, but it is possible

Then it's time you try them from a proper amp to see their full potential!

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then it's time you try them from a proper amp to see their full potential!

I think you mis-understood my post. I am running them from a proper amp (Gilmore lite). I was interested to see what they sounded like out of an Ipod so I hooked it up and It was better than I expected. Everyone makes it sound like they are too terrible to listen to.

But they definitely sound better amped!
o2smile.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by quikgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you mis-understood my post. I am running them from a proper amp (Gilmore lite). I was interested to see what they sounded like out of an Ipod so I hooked it up and It was better than I expected. Everyone makes it sound like they are too terrible to listen to.

But they definitely sound better amped!
o2smile.gif

Oops, I see. I somehow read "they sound as good from my iPhone as they do from my home rig" and somehow missed the beginning of the sentence.
redface.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^They were already burnt in. Read OP.

Not sure on this one...most of the peoples that selling there 701s, not even bother to wait, and enjoy the burn in process.

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 57
Yeah, I agree with the OP that the K701 are not nearly as bright as sometimes described in the forums, I love how the treble is so smooth. Soundstage is also really hard to beat in that price range. And yes, they are bass-light (in terms of impact) but not by any means bass-lacking (in terms of frequency response).

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 57
Good to hear some positive feedback about the K701s. I ordered a pair few days ago and should be expecting delivery within the next few days, the wait is excruciating!

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 57
Burn in process is nothing you enjoy... It´s hell on earth sitting there and wondered if you just burned another 300$

Every headphone should be like the German Maestros in that regard no burn in whatsoever
biggrin.gif

Glad you enjoy them they are good headphones very detailed. Bass is about right most of the time though for recordings mixed for heavy bass they can be a bit light yes

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 57
Congrats! I like them very much, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back