I just got my SR80 Grados..underwhelmed
Mar 27, 2008 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

mclldavidson

100+ Head-Fier
I bought these off ebay and they are in great shape, and have 500 hours on them. I put them on expecting to really be blown away after all the research I had done, but these are not impressing me at all so far. I have only briefly listened to a few songs, and I keep swapping back and forth between them and my stock Zune buds and do not hear a big difference, especially for the price. I am selling these things.

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 32
I too was very underwhelmed by my Grado Sr-60s and it was my first step into decent headfi gear. I even thought the same thing thinking, man these don't even sound that much better then my earbuds but you got to adjust to the sound. I think after a week or two I finally noticed how good they were. But to be honest I still expected more just give it more time for your brain to adjust to.

Mar 27, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 32
I can tell you that your mind does not know how good they are. It would seem that you don't have a lot of experience with high end audio or are a trained musician. I have friends who just enjoy their music and those who are musicians. My very casual listener friends cannot tell the difference between ibuds and etys or AKG. My friends who are just casual musicians could tell immediatley and repeated the differences. Just give it time. The buds that come with the new zune are far better than other manufacturers.

Mar 27, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 32
Try switching pads on the SR80s. I was underwhelmed by the bowls, but like the headphones a lot better after switching to the SR60 comfies.

Spend a few days with the SR80s, then go back to the stock earbuds. You will notice a difference.

Mar 27, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 32
I immediately threw my stock zune IEM's back into the box. I didn't like them at all compaired to my Mallows. But I've never listened to Grados, I want to one day.

Mar 27, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 32
Give it some time, as glorythewiz says, you might not notice by directly ab-ing, but try listening to them for at least a week.

If not, return them, and consider yourself very lucky for having saved quite a bit of cash.

Mar 27, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 32
Yeah when I first got my sr60s I was thinking well this is nice and everything but not worth it. I definitely notice a difference a now so stick with it a little.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mclldavidson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh I put them on ebay, auctions ends tomorrow.

Good call. I have listened to plenty of sets of high end phones and I do not think your mind is somehow tricking you into not hearing them to potential. They just arent that great imo *shrugs*

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by j.harris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I immediately threw my stock zune IEM's back into the box. I didn't like them at all compaired to my Mallows. But I've never listened to Grados, I want to one day.

x2 on the Zune IEMs. Worst canalphones, veiled, muddy. Ugh.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 32
Yea, I too was a tad skeptical on the lower end Grado's.

About sound quality though, I certainly notice the difference between cans though.

Out of all the cans I've owned.

AT-M40fs
Senn 280 Pro
Some $40 Koss maybe the R80 but older model - which I could wear all day they were so comfy.

Every headphone in my catagory sounded completely different.

The Koss was the most comfortable and had the most bass, but the least overall quality and detailed sound.
M40fs was not comfortable, couldn't wear long, but sounded much more detailed, but had very little bass.
Seen 280 pro's.... only a tad less comfy than the Koss. but everything else better.

Now hopefully, the DT770's will be my next level in comfort and quality! Coming soon.

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mclldavidson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meh I put them on ebay, auctions ends tomorrow.

So tell us, what about them didn't satisfy you?
have another headphone in mind?

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #15 of 32
The Grado sound isn't for everyone. Sorry you didn't like them and you had to go through the trouble of selling them.

Are you still interested in a good pair of headphones, though? If you want some recommendations, post your budget and the kind of music you listen to. There are plenty other good ones out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back