I just got my Gmini 220.
Feb 13, 2004 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Dster

New Head-Fier
I just got my Gmini 220.

Compared to the new biggest ipod, it is slightly lighter and around the same total volume.

And it lets you browse EITHER by whatever file/folder setup you create, OR ID3 tags!

Did I mention it has full functionality as a voice recorder with a built in mic, and a compact flash shot so I can store all my photos from my Canon S45?

And you can manage, erase, move, rename photos, and even preview them in black and white (enough to see which one was the picture where your thumb was covering the lens)?

And it has queue, custom equalization, analog line in, on-the-fly playlists, complete management over all files through the unit...?

I don't see much mention of this product (for example, the NYT otherwise comprehensive article). Too bad for all y'all!

If anyone has comments/questions about this product, please post!

(but try to keep the 'dude, Archos is so not cool and sucky posts to a minimum').

Feb 13, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 29
Cool. What phones are you using with it and how's the all important sound quality?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Oddball
Cool. What phones are you using with it and how's the all important sound quality?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sound is awesome.

As for volume, it just barely reaches pain threshold/distortion levels. So it goes loud enough.

All I've tried it on are the Archos earbuds, which are nice.

I will be using mostly with a set of noise reduction out of ear padded phones. Can't remember the brand - the mp3 player was intended largely for airplane trips. The coolness may encourage me to use it at other times, e.g. instead of plugging in to my laptop.

I'm getting transfer rates over the USB 2.0 of a consistent 1 gig every 2 minutes. How about iPod folks? Anybody?

Feb 13, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 29
sweet, finally someone has gotten the 220... as for the extra features... that what archos is good at... did it come with a carrying case? My av320 was caseless and they just came out with the case for it... but I think I'll wait for the 'biggest giggabag' from headroom instead...

go team archos!
cool.gif

Feb 13, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 29
I'm listening..... Talk to me.

Congrats on your purchase!! I jsut ordered the iRiver iHP-120, and considered the ARCHOS GMini 120 or 220. I was wondering how the size was with that. The Gmini seems a little more cumbersome than the iHP-120, because ot it's shape. But; it seems like it is really loaded with nice features, and user friendly interface.

Feb 13, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by AGR
I'm listening..... Talk to me.

Congrats on your purchase!! I jsut ordered the iRiver iHP-120, and considered the ARCHOS GMini 120 or 220. I was wondering how the size was with that. The Gmini seems a little more cumbersome than the iHP-120, because ot it's shape. But; it seems like it is really loaded with nice features, and user friendly interface.

Weight difference between the iHP-120 and the Gmini: 10 grams
(I can think of some things for which 10 grams is nothing to sneeze at, but I don't think MP3 players are it).

Total volume of the iHP-120: 119.7 cubic centimetres
Total volume of the GMINI 220: 121.1 cubic centimetres

I think it's fair to say that they're the same size.

Yes, it is more 'squarish'. I will probably keep it in a coat pocket, so I don't think the shape will matter.

Unfortunately, it didn't come with a case. I'm betting Archos will try to sell me one soon. Hopefully I can find a third party vendor of a good case.

Feb 13, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 29
Sounds Good, Dster!! Keep us all posted on your thoughts. I am not 'married' to the iHP-120 yet. It could be easily exchanged. I like the wired remote, and the included case with the iRiver. I will say this......these past couple of weeks have been a real roller coaster ride - looking at all the options out there.

Feb 13, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by AGR
Sounds Good, Dster!! Keep us all posted on your thoughts. I am not 'married' to the iHP-120 yet. It could be easily exchanged. I like the wired remote, and the included case with the iRiver. I will say this......these past couple of weeks have been a real roller coaster ride - looking at all the options out there.

I hear that.

The biggest issues for me were the remote on the iRiver, and the compact flash/viewer on the Gmini.

The optical ins/outs on the iRiver are nice, also.

Feb 13, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 29
i noticed the desgn has even fewer buttons than an iPod... not even dedicated volume control buttons from what I can tell.

4 way pay
play/plause
stop
select? whatever that is.

the photo viewer is a good idea, but seems wasted with a black and white screen.

also note the player needs to use MusicMatch software to build the ID3 tag database... maybe someday it will be built into the player's own software, that would be cool.

Feb 13, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
i noticed the desgn has even fewer buttons than an iPod... not even dedicated volume control buttons from what I can tell.

4 way pay
play/plause
stop
select? whatever that is.

the photo viewer is a good idea, but seems wasted with a black and white screen.

also note the player needs to use MusicMatch software to build the ID3 tag database... maybe someday it will be built into the player's own software, that would be cool.

Kansas City, huh? You like "Boulevard Brewing Co.'s" Beers? I have had John McDonald (the owner) on our radio show a couple of times. Great Guy!!

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 29
Today I got a new Archos JB Recorder 20 as a replacement for my Studio 20 I sent back for repair of the loose line-out jack. Apparently Archos has difficulties with its repair service (actually you get an other used player as a replacement anyway), so the store offered me a new recorder as compensation and apology for the waiting time. The great thing is: the Recorder sounds clearly better than my previous Studio 20, and it has USB 2.0.
smily_headphones1.gif

While I was there I had the opportunity to listen to the Gmini 220, and I was enthused about its sound quality -- so far the best I've heard from any MP3 player. Great, defined bass, crisp mids and highs, very natural and neutral sound with great detail. But of course that's not an ultimate judgement, logically there are different files installed in the various players. However, the iHP-120 I compared it with was clearly inferior: artificial, smeared, with lack of definition and liveliness.

I didn't pay much attention to its functionality, but its display is really nice, and I like its format and size; it's not much bigger than some flash players and conveniently lightweight. So this could very well be my next HD player. The only other player I seriously consider now is the Karma, which should be available here in March, but I read some bad things about it: you can only download files onto your computer which have been uploaded via Rio Taxi, but those can't be played on the Karma... Does this make any sense?

austonia...

...the volume is regulated by the up and down buttons during playback -- very convenient.

peacesign.gif

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ

...the volume is regulated by the up and down buttons during playback -- very convenient.

where are they? I can only see 3 buttons on the front and the 4-way pad..?

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 29
there is a serious lack of pictures on the internet for the Gmini series... if anyone can take some pics for me I will post them at the dapreview.com gallery

thanks

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
However, the iHP-120 I compared it with was clearly inferior: artificial, smeared, with lack of definition and liveliness.

Interesting note on the iHP-120....... hmmmm. This is the first 'negative', I have heard about the sound of the iRiver. Do I keep it when it arrives on Monday, or just send it back?! Crap! That's the one thing that has really sucked about this past 2 weeks of searching for an MP3 player.

THERE IS NO PLACE TO GO LISTEN TO ANY OF THEM!!!!!
mad.gif

(except the iPod)

Feb 14, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #15 of 29
I believe he means the up and down buttons on the pad...

jazz... glad you are happy with your new mp3 player... the recorder is definately a big step up from the player models
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back