I just got bribed
Aug 27, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #46 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whatever happened to the op, he is right, one only has to go over to the portable amp section and find a few reviewers there who say every single amp is the best on yet, regardless of who manufactured it or what it sounds like.

bit sad really as they dont even try and come across as objective.

He appears to have been banned for being a troll.

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #47 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plainly put, I think it sux.

It is called Disinformation and it is viral these days on forums, in advertising, even in the news. Seems if it is done in the name of profit or "patriotism" then anything goes.

TThey used to say "Would you buy a used car from this man?" Now it is more accurate to say: "Would you believe anything (insert any industry/company/political party/government here) says?"

Alas it does not surprise me in the least, even here on Head-Fi.
But I do respect the OP for bringing this to the forefront.

Very insightful post, which I'm totally in agreement with!

Veritas vincit (Latin) - Truth conquers

Whereas the Truth is being conquered with the practice and pattern of disinformation in this information age .

Thanx to the OP for taking a stand, presenting the truth and whistleblowing!

EDIT: Obviously, I read the thread only up to NiceCans post...

How very ironic my post here reads upon further reading of the thread, Veritas vincit, indeed !

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #48 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He appears to have been banned for being a troll.

I know he got banned, I wasn't asking a question, I was stating that regardless of what happened to him, he is right in that there are some shills operating on this board.

I am not sure about whoever he may or may not have named specifically, but like I said, take a trip over to the portable amp forum for evidence of such.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #49 of 69
Hence the reason I find solace in the reviews from members that have invested actual money into the product they're reviewing. I haven't trusted any "big" review (anywhere) in the past two and a half years. There are a few exceptions, like comparisons from big reviewers that are equally shilling for each product they're comparing.

Aug 27, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #50 of 69
DIY is the most effective defense against shills and viral marketers. No one can build a product without charging for labor, so DIY always costs less.

Also, DIY teaches you the cost of things and how they work, so you can make intelligent judgments. If someone wants $5k for a some ordinary household tubes on a PCB, well, you'll know better than to buy it.

Aug 27, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #52 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know he got banned, I wasn't asking a question, I was stating that regardless of what happened to him, he is right in that there are some shills operating on this board.

I am not sure about whoever he may or may not have named specifically, but like I said, take a trip over to the portable amp forum for evidence of such.

It is true, sadly.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #54 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddhashenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad those willing to bribe aren't willing to spend more money and time in the R&D process.

yup. goes to character as well as the times

scruples, what scruples??

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #56 of 69
I think every one here has the right and even a personal obligation to themselves to check their sources before purchasing or making financial decisions based on reviews read here or anywhere else for that matter. I make it my practice to inquire and even request verification of statements made in reviews here. It is then my responsibility to disseminate and gauge the accuracy or authenticity of the reviewer and the information put forward and the purpose of it's intent. I would love to be able to believe everything I hear, but I also have to hear everything to believe it; literally.
We are a forum based on sound after all. Listen, question your sources, trust your ears and your heart, and you will hear the truth. But use your brain too, investigate before you invest.
Very good and pertinent thread, even if started by a very dubious source. Great comments, thank all of you for having helped shed some light on a sensitive yet questionable area of the forum. Commendations to the moderators for keeping the thread open. Extremely good knowledge especially for a relative newbie, Thank you again, and Aloha.

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #57 of 69
crazy

i often look for expensive products on internet, and am finding it ever so hard to decide on things to buy, shops do it [trickery not bribery] , review sites do it, individuals do it, if you dont have access to a [often biased] showroom/event ypou cannot get a good 'review' i dunno,

but i cant be hypocritical, if someone gave me something expensive that i wanted, yeah, id do it, and that is bad, and i know it! :/

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #58 of 69
If anything, the clear agendas present in the reviews of some otherwise very respectable members makes it more important that ever to attend meets and discover truth for yourself.

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #59 of 69
I don't even have a problem with members receiving items for reviews as long as they're upfront about it. There is a thread just started in the iem forum about a new company producing customs that are not yet out, and a member is openly acknowledging that he's a friend of the owner/head/not sure of the company and will be receiving a pair for review. Now, he's not hiding anything at this point, and I've got zero problem with his reviewing the item, but if and when a review appears, there should be a statement, front and center, that he's a personal friend and he's been given this pair of custom iems. People can then gauge for themselves how much bias may or may not be in the review.

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #60 of 69
I can imagine this being needed more for the brands that focus on the wood grain used or the 24ct gold plating than the actual sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back