I just got a free Zune 30 GB: What do I do?
Jun 4, 2008 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

evanft

500+ Head-Fier
So, I got an old-style 30 GB Zune from Live Search Club. Now, I've had some experience with the Zune. I already know I like it. The problem, though, is that I don't really think 30 GB is enough space for me if I want to carry around my entire CD collection. I have about 800 CDs, and if I can get an average of 75 MB per CD, that's about 60 GB of needed space. Given this fact, I'm left with the following options:

1. Keep Zune, deal with low capacity.

2. Upgrade Zune hard drive to 80 GB.

3. Sell Zune, buy 80 GB Zune 2.

Looking at how much Zune prices are here and on eBay, I think the most I could expect to get would be around $100 after eBay/Paypal fees and shipping. That means a Zune 2 would cost me $150 out of pocket, which is right around the price for the 80 GB hard drive by itself. Of course, I'd still probably be fine with 30 GB, I just wouldn't be able to carry everything at once.

Then there's the issue of sound quality. Is the original Zune better in that department that the new one, or are they similar?

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 16
Can't comment on SQ or anything like that, but replace the HD yourself and void the warranty. Sell Zune30 and Get Zune80 and you keep warranty.

Depends which is better for you i guess.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone done any direct comparisons between the old Zune and Zune 2?

I had both. The sq of the first gen was enough to make me choose the second gen over it. When I received the 80, I was in no way disappointed with the sq. I can't comment further than that because I had the 30 a while ago.

Jun 4, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say get the zune 80. You may regret it otherwise. The player is slimmer, still noted for sq, and the touchpad interface lets you play games and the like.

Games can be played on all Zune devices. The developer just needs to included support for tactile or touch controls

Quote:

So, I got an old-style 30 GB Zune from Live Search Club. Now, I've had some experience with the Zune. I already know I like it. The problem, though, is that I don't really think 30 GB is enough space for me if I want to carry around my entire CD collection. I have about 800 CDs, and if I can get an average of 75 MB per CD, that's about 60 GB of needed space. Given this fact, I'm left with the following options:

1. Keep Zune, deal with low capacity.

2. Upgrade Zune hard drive to 80 GB.

3. Sell Zune, buy 80 GB Zune 2.

Looking at how much Zune prices are here and on eBay, I think the most I could expect to get would be around $100 after eBay/Paypal fees and shipping. That means a Zune 2 would cost me $150 out of pocket, which is right around the price for the 80 GB hard drive by itself. Of course, I'd still probably be fine with 30 GB, I just wouldn't be able to carry everything at once.

Then there's the issue of sound quality. Is the original Zune better in that department that the new one, or are they similar?

Selling it in parts can net you more money.
The screen and the HDD alone can give you 150 USD if you are smart.

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #9 of 16
Just a heads up. I got a free iPod once from a bank and then at the end of the year I got one of those income tax docs which made me pay something like $30 in taxes.
mad.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a heads up. I got a free iPod once from a bank and then at the end of the year I got one of those income tax docs which made me pay something like $30 in taxes.
mad.gif

ooh. that's nasty =/. Would you happen to know if they also tax those "free $200" opening bonus? (Think it's like..the ones where they give you a visa card with $200 on it to use)

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 16
zune 80 is better in every way, smaller size/thickness, almost three times the HD space, slightly bigger screen, better SQ from what i can tell (my friend has a 30 ive used), the squircle thing is awesome, its worth the exta 150 over the 30

if you got the 30 for free, think of it as someone giving you $100 towards the 80 instead of thinking of it as getting a free 30 :p

Jun 4, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

ooh. that's nasty =/. Would you happen to know if they also tax those "free $200" opening bonus? (Think it's like..the ones where they give you a visa card with $200 on it to use)

Oh yes. If they give you a free toaster you're gonna pay taxes on it. I believe you have to pay taxes on any winnings. Usually it's the responsibility of the winner to report it but banks are nice enough to report it for you.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 16
I haven't heard about anybody getting hit with taxes for this stuff, and I believe it would have to be $600 worth to count.

It looks like I have a buyer at $120, which is around $106 after shipping and Paypal fees.

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 16
you should just keep the zune, as-is. i wouldn't complain about getting a 30gb mp3 player for free, as i currently have a 2gb ipod nano{i paid $50 for it}.
sure, 800 cd's worth of music in your pocket would be great, but how you would find the time to listen to all of them on a regular basis?

Jun 7, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

I haven't heard about anybody getting hit with taxes for this stuff, and I believe it would have to be $600 worth to count.

It looks like I have a buyer at $120, which is around $106 after shipping and Paypal fees.

Was this done on ebay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back