I just cleaned out my checking account.
Oct 30, 2003 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Geek

Headphoneus Supremus
This is the worst kind of addiction. I just made the plunge for HD650s. When they arrive, I'll try my best to post a detailed review and directly compare them with the HD600.

The associated equipment will be a cardas HD600 cable, the maxed out home with reference module and stepped attenuator, dimarzio m-paths, and a DVP-NS500V playing audiophile SACDs only (more on that later).

Without you guys I doubt I would've done this.
biggrin.gif
600smile.gif

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 30, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 27
now I have no choice but to stop drinking so much coffee...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 30, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
now I have no choice but to stop drinking so much coffee...
very_evil_smiley.gif

one addiction for another. not a bad trade.

Oct 30, 2003 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 27
Now that you'll have the mighty HD-650 and the awesome MOHR, you're REALLY gonna have to upgrade your source!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 30, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 27
it's realizing that you have enough money for that audiophile source you've been eyeing for the past few months (that's my next plunge). . .

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 30, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #8 of 27
Hey Geek, I thought you were saving up for the trip to HeadRoom on Friday. Couldn't resist. This audio sickness is like the Borg man: resistance is futile. Give in now and get it over with. You'll sleep better for sure.

Oct 30, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 27
ServinginEcuador,

I emailed Jamey at headroom about the status of the HD650s, but he said that they are selling very well: already the first shipment has been completely sold, and the second shipment is almost totally sold in advance too.

I decided to place an order without audition because I don't honestly want to wait an extra week or two due to the way order queues sometimes build up at headroom. I honestly did take a gamble, but it's really not a bad one at all, headroom has a 30 day money back guarantee if you think the product isn't to your liking.

From what jazz said, though, the 650s have less treble emphasis AND more treble detail, which is purely amazing. And yes, I do hear that 8.5khz gap, which jazz says is basically cut out of the new model. These things are very encouraging.

The one true test will be my ears. I am hoping to listen to the senns on different amps as well, such as the emmeline hr-2, grace 901, sugden headmaster, and blockhead that are set up right now in the headroom listening room.

I am hoping that I am choosing the right path by using SACD through the NS500V. I really think that player is a gem for SACD playback.

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 30, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek

Without you guys I doubt I would've done this.
biggrin.gif
600smile.gif

Cheers,
Geek

We are always here to help. Stay tuned as there is a great tube amp coming out in the very near future. Pictures of the first one with production boards are at the Chicago meet site. Also the new AKG-271s are great sounding as well. I think you need a pair. Good night.

Oct 30, 2003 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 27
john_jcb,

I heard the K271s and really liked them, however they seemed very power hungry, liking the cosmic and meridian 507 very well, while sounding anemic on the total airhead/slimx combo, both with smooth jazz piano trio.

Leo,
I have given up my caffeine for this habit, I'll be getting more sleep AND more music now!

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 30, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #15 of 27
Just let me know when you're selling the 600s.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't wait to grab a used 600s on the sales forums once the early adopters are happy with the 650s.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back