I just bought Sony XD200 for CDN$39
Apr 16, 2005 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wali

1000+ Head-Fier
From sony store in my local shopping mall. Futureshop also sells it for the same price online... couldn't say no to it for that price -- I'll post some thoughts later on.

Apr 29, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 12
I got them too, and the XD100s for $29.

The XD200s are good, very good for the price. I don't think anything can top the XD200s for being only $39 CDN (cheaper than PortaPros, and even V300s). They compare quite well with my CD380s ($79 CDN) but with much more bass, although the CD380s have still have clearer highs/mids (I'm guessing because they're open). If the XD200s were here earlier, I would've saved alot of cash just getting those instead of the CD380s.

Here's a full review on them from Bangraman:

http://phonephile.blogspot.com/2005/...eadphones.html

May 5, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rayzian
I got them too, and the XD100s for $29.

The XD200s are good, very good for the price. I don't think anything can top the XD200s for being only $39 CDN (cheaper than PortaPros, and even V300s).[/url]

Of course, Portapros are a lot more portable...

Not sure I'd buy a US $20 can for home listening.

May 5, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamirus99
Are they really that big?

much like my manhood, they are gigantic

May 5, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 12
If you've seen Rayzian's pics they aren't that huge. Bad would be walking around in K1000s, or one of these babys:

w62hy0ea.jpg

Style is relative though. Some like it big, some like it flashy, some like it both.

May 5, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 12
btw, that picture of the AT headphones has been around the fora, causing some confusion.

Most ppl assume that glass head is life size. It's not. It's really small, smaller than a child's head.

No, the AT headphones are not that big.

eek.gif

May 5, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tucker
btw, that picture of the AT headphones has been around the fora, causing some confusion.

Most ppl assume that glass head is life size. It's not. It's really small, smaller than a child's head.

No, the AT headphones are not that big.

eek.gif

thanks for the clearup. I always assumed the possibility that it was smaller because mannequin heads are typically pretty lean shaped.

May 6, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #12 of 12
Since you guys have resurrected this two week old thread, I'll sum up my XD200 thoughts in point form, since there are already many reviews and impressions of this headphone here in head-fi.

Pros
-refined and balanced presentation
-decent soundstage
-controlled bass and extended highs
-the sound is airy like an open headphone
-none fatiguing

Cons
-lack of isolation
-flimsy cable which picks up noise (in my case at least)
-slightly weak on the midrange
-can get a little uncomfortable if worn for long duration

Sony's XD200 is the best value headphone out there period! Koss KSC 75 does not even come close to it. I would compare it to HD497 or HD280 - and imho it’s head and shoulders above Sr60.

I'm pretty sure that a DIY cable will benefit this headphone real well, and as soon as I learn how to open it (help please?) I'll change its cable.

... And one last thing I should mention is that this headphone is made in Korea - not China so the build and material quality are pretty decent.

(I have not even used the movie mode yet; I have only used the music mode.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back