I just bought my first house!
Apr 19, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might also want to install a real grounding rod. They're upwards of six feet long and driven straight into the earth. Usually under $100 or so, and you end up with a really, really terrific ground which is a good thing.

I just did this, my friend is an Electrician, he dropped off an 8ft rod. It took about 20 min to pound in and change the connections, and it helped a lot. I thought the slight hum from my tube preamp was just a characteristic of tube preamp, which to some degree it is. But, what I used to hear at 9:30, I now have to turn it up to 1:00 to hear, which is WAY past listening levels. Definitely lowered the noise floor. Next step, dedicated circuit.

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! Your cat will be much happier!

So, have you talked to an electrician about running a dedicated circuit to your rig? Might also want to install a real grounding rod. They're upwards of six feet long and driven straight into the earth. Usually under $100 or so, and you end up with a really, really terrific ground which is a good thing.

I have a good sledge hammer you can borrow if you don't have one, and you really need two people for this job: one to hold the rod upright and one to pound it down. I just realized that I have a rod in the shed at my daughter's place. If we have a rod in the ground here, you can have it...

On the other hand, I may not be much help with the move. I am due to finish the transfer of a Subaru Forester to myself, but the paperwork hangups seem endless. My current ride can't hold much, but if you can use some help toting, PM me. I wish you and cat many happy years in the HOUSE!

Laz

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #20 of 39
Congrats! I love the wood floors & the paint colors on the walls! You'll have fun getting things just the way you like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #21 of 39
Hey Laz, how about a sixer and a listening party?

I've got a nice turntable that needs to be played more than I do already, which is pretty often!

Good to hear form you brother.....Shoot me a message if you want to hook up sometime.

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #22 of 39
Congrats! I remember when we went from renting our flat to buying it, and even though it's the same place and we haven't moved, it was a big leap in terms of feeling grown up. Scary, but good too. It looks like a nice place, I'm sure if you ask nicely, the cat will let you live there too.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #23 of 39
I really like your wood floors. Are those pictures of the previous owners furniture?

Looks very cosy.

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a good sledge hammer you can borrow if you don't have one, and you really need two people for this job: one to hold the rod upright and one to pound it down. I just realized that I have a rod in the shed at my daughter's place. If we have a rod in the ground here, you can have it ...

Guys, if you tackle the job yourselfs please be careful. First when pounding the rod use hearing protection, eye protection, and gloves. A pair of steel toe safety shoes may seem like overkill but if a 20 pound sledge hammer fall on your toes while wearing sandals you will be screaming and in pain for a long time.

Next be super careful when you connect the rod to the house. In some places I could be arrested for discussing this issue!
biggrin.gif

http://www.davisnet.com/product_docu...unding_kit.pdf

Apr 19, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, if you tackle the job yourselfs please be careful. First when pounding the rod use hearing protection, eye protection, and gloves. A pair of steel toe safety shoes may seem like overkill but if a 20 pound sledge hammer fall on your toes while wearing sandals you will be screaming and in pain for a long time.

Next be super careful when you connect the rod to the house. In some places I could be arrested for discussing this issue!
biggrin.gif

http://www.davisnet.com/product_docu...unding_kit.pdf

in that case, it might be easier and cheaper to get someone to install it (if you do not have all that material). if the total difference in costs is less than 20ish dollars (considering a 100 dollar figure) then get someone to install it.
also, you might want to sound isolate a room. it really does help. add a eames chair (second hand cos you are a new home owner... lik hope to one day), and a fridge and you got yourself a very nice man pad. jus dont let your cat near it.

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #27 of 39
Nooz flash!! The paperwork on my Forester came through this evening! I should be driving it by the end of next week, if not before. I can haul things for the move, as well as pound a ground rod. That makes two scores in one day - I bought a pair of Utah duplex drivers at an estate sale today for $5, and I was excited about that...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Laz

Apr 20, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #28 of 39
I want to hear about those Utah's. I got a pair free with a Rotel receiver off Craigslist.

I've never hooked them up.

May be a nice pair with a Thorens?

Let me know what you think.....

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #29 of 39
congrats, I'm sure you'll find it a bit of work, but in the last 4 months i've really enjoyed the switch from renter to homeowner, funny how your priorities change though, the headphone budget has suddenly become the home modification budget

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #30 of 39
Interior looks great and congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back