I inverted my graphic eq based on Headroom frequency response graphs. . . does that work or am I way off?
Feb 23, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #31 of 39
No, it is possible to have high voltage with low output impedance. For example, this is true of any decent solid state speaker amplifier.

So a theoretical, perfect as amp would be high current, high voltage, and low output impedance? This amp would satisfy all headphones?

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:
So a theoretical, perfect as amp would be high current, high voltage, and low output impedance? This amp would satisfy all headphones?

Yes, although "unlimited" power does have the practical disadvantage that it can be too much with a sensitive headphone if you are not careful. Of course, for a good amplifier, you also want all sound quality related parameters (noise, distortion of various types, frequency response, etc.) to be good enough as well.

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #33 of 39
Yeah, all but some exotic ones. Of course, some people will tell you that amp X harmonizes better with headphone Y than amp Z although both can drive the headphones properly ... The biggest problem seems to be output impedance. Depending on the headphones' impedance curve it can cause big deviations. Some praise this as "warmth", "tamed treble" etc. I just call it what it is: "deviations from 'flat'".

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #34 of 39
So the denons, having a fairly flat impedance response across the frequency spectrum, should sound identical from any adequately powerful source with a flat frequency response and good noise/the/imd measurements?

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #35 of 39
Yep, if you do a level matched and preferably blind comparison. But I think that even if the impedance curve looks fairly flat you could probably distinguish between a 0 and lets say 100 ohm output impedance amp.

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #36 of 39
Yep, if you do a level matched and preferably blind comparison. But I think that even if the impedance curve looks fairly flat you could probably distinguish between a 0 and lets say 100 ohm output impedance amp.

Yes, so would the 100ohm impedance output amp screw up frequency response across the board with the denons? I'm still unclear on how output impedance affects headphone performance. Is it only a damping factor issue or does it mess with other things?

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:
Yes, so would the 100ohm impedance output amp screw up frequency response across the board with the denons? I'm still unclear on how output impedance affects headphone performance. Is it only a damping factor issue or does it mess with other things?

It can alter the frequency response, and also the distortion to some extent. But it is true that not all headphones are equally affected.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #38 of 39

Quote:

On to a different note.  EQing by ear isn't good either.  Our hearing has its own loudness curve, and EQing to the point that everything sounds the same in volume just means you'll have hugely exaggerated low end and really high end.  In theory, compensating for computer measurements is the better approach.  

So EQ'ing by ear 0 - 20000 with 100Hz intervals in SineGen won't actually be neutral? What about just staying away from the really low and high ends?

I do think I see what you what you mean by looking at this graph though.

If the equal-loudness contour was the frequency response of a headphone it wouldn't even be close to neutral right?

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #39 of 39
Again - do not use the compensated data. Use the raw. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back