I helped rescue an animal today...
Nov 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

beerguy0

Headphoneus Supremus
I was walking my dogs this morning in the local park we go to every day. (This park is 900+ acres of woods and trails) We were on a back trail that we don't always take, and ran across a fox caught in a leg trap. I called 911, and got connected to animal control. I was able to tell them where the animal was, as well as the location of two other traps in the vicinity. There are coyotes in the area, and I've seen one at least once, on this same trail. (Many other dog owners tell of seeing more than one in the area).

Hopefully they were able to help the animal. It didn't seem too badly injured. There is a weird jurisdiction thing there, the park is city owned, but actually lies in the next town over. So, if it's within the park boundary, the city is responsible, but if it's private land or outside the park, it's the town. There area I was walking is near the park boundary, so hard to say. It is legal to set traps with a permit, I am told. Unfortunately, and dog was recently injured in the same place, and it's owner injured trying to free it.

I just don't see any sense in setting leg traps in an area where people and pets frequent. We take that trail probably at least once a week, and were lucky that our dogs didn't get injured, but if I would be beyond pissed-off if one of my dogs was injured by a trap in a city park!

Nov 5, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 13
Aww, the poor little fox! I hope it's okay
triportsad.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 13
Are people hunting foxes in the park? Pretty awful; I hope animal control is able to patch it up and set it loose.

Those are beautiful animals. Oddly, there's a red fox colony at the big refinery near where I grew up. Every now and then you'll see one in there. (It has a lot of landscaping and some wild areas in there.)

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Are people hunting foxes in the park? Pretty awful; I hope animal control is able to patch it up and set it loose.
Those are beautiful animals. Oddly, there's a red fox colony at the big refinery near where I grew up. Every now and then you'll see one in there. (It has a lot of landscaping and some wild areas in there.)

I think the trapper is after coyotes. Numerous dog owners, including myself, have seen them in that same area of the park.

As to the legality of the traps, if you have a permit you can legally trap on city land. (This area of the trail also comes very close to private land.) There were two other traps nearby, on the trail, both clearly marked with blue tape. The trap the fox was caught in was off the trail, and did not appear to have been marked. But, blue tape isn't going to help your dog.

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 13
One of my favorite animals. Rough to see one in a trap like that. I'd have popped the other traps just for the sake of doing it. 

Glad you had the sense to call someone about it.

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 13

Arizona: Jogger Attacked by Rabid Fox

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: November 5, 2008
A jogger was attacked by a rabid fox, ran a mile with the animal’s jaws clamped on her arm and then drove herself to a hospital, the authorities said. The Yavapai County sheriff’s office said the woman told deputies that she was on a trail near Prescott on Monday when the fox attacked and bit her foot. The woman said that she grabbed the fox by the neck when it went for her leg but that it bit her arm. The woman wanted the animal tested for rabies so she ran a mile to her car with the fox still biting her arm, then pried the animal off and tossed it in her trunk and drove to the Prescott hospital. The sheriff’s office said the fox later bit an animal-control officer. He and the woman are both receiving rabies vaccinations.

It's also possible they would lay traps against foxes to protect threatened birds or waterfowl during breeding seasons.

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 13
 Animal problems in Dubai are unbelievable. Not quite in the trapping way, butso many are left out on the streets to die. We rescued an abandoned dog :) It's a nice feeling.

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #13 of 13
we've loads of foxes in London, and the number are on the increase. they’re everywhere, and becoming everyday more daring. just few years ago one or two could occasionally be spotted late at night wondering around, but now they can be spotted crossing roads late in the afternoon. quite a few get run over by fast moving vehicles on a daily basis while trying to cross carriageways. there’s always a fox here and there splattered across the road. people don’t do it on purpose though.

cats are cleverer. I’ve yet to see a cat run over by a vehicle (and there’re loads of cats). I’ve noticed them on occasions crossing the road. they stop few meters before the carriageway completely motionless (as they do), and listen intently; once there’s no sound of cars approaching they quickly cross the road. pretty clever for a cat. foxes haven’t work that out yet.

anyway, foxes can be pretty nasty. for example, not long ago some managed to sneak into the London zoo and kill 11 penguins.  just image the poor defenceless birds; in the dark with nowhere to escape completely at the mercy of these evil creatures - that’s pretty awful. In another instance, again not long ago, a fox entered a house and attacked two babies as they slept in their cot.

do the leg traps make more sense? I'd guess not... that's fine... you can still feel like a hero for while 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back